Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52

British 1845 Navy Cutlass
This one looks to be in very good condition. That makes it unusual for this model. The blade is listed at 31 inches, but I thought the 1845 model had a 29 inch blade? I'd love to see someone make a solid replica of cutlass, along with the French 1833.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/British-English-Antiq...SwJ4hY~k2h

postscript. I sent the seller a message asking about the weight of the blade. He said 4 pounds on the postal scale. That weight, along with the 31" blade suggests that this is one of the lead cutters that were used to training, and feats of skill. IMA also has a lead cutter with the same weight, and dimensions.

Last edited by Mike West on Wed 17 May, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
It's a lot of fun to just go there and look at some of the CRAZY stuff some people try to sell. A beat-to-hell, rusted-up Scottish basket-hilt for $395...that is an OBVIOUS India-made replica...and not even a very good one at that. :lol: Hell of it is---Somebody will probably buy it. :wtf: ....McM
ebay finds
I haven't seen many of those 1845 Cutlasses for sale, so the $950 does seem to be normal. I have also never seen an 1845 replica for sale anywhere else. The French 1833 only has one replica made, but it has an aluminum bowl guard. It's sold by IMA as a replica, and was supposed to have been made for a French Naval Celebration back in the 1990s. I don't know if the blade is accurate in distal taper. It's a hefty sword, though. I'd like to handle a real one to see.

(postscript: the bell guard stick to a magnet!, So, it must be steel, albeit rather thin compared to the photos of the original!)

Last edited by Mike West on Fri 12 May, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re: ebay finds
Mike West wrote:
I haven't seen many of those 1845 Cutlasses for sale, so the $950 does seem to be normal. I have also never seen an 1845 replica for sale anywhere else. The French 1833 only has one replica made, but it has an aluminum bowl guard. It's sold by IMA as a replica, and was supposed to have been made for a French Naval Celebration back in the 1990s. I don't know if the blade is accurate in distal taper. It's a hefty sword, though. I'd like to handle a real one to see.

Actually, the IMA offering is replicating the 1801 and not the 1833. Having already getting busted for random discussion aside from posting listings, we might want to do a cutlass thread somewhere else here.

fwiw

GC
Good stuff cheap from Taylor Knives. Take 'em down boys, save me from myself.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/taygrd/m.html?item=272657658277

Cheers

GC
In the spirit of bargains, another good start or addition for someone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132174224672?

[ Linked Image ]

I have to be good right now.

Cheers

GC
Rapier and Dagger set from Master Smith Marco Danelli
Folks,

I hear these are hard to get nowadays, and people seem to be passionate about them:

Rapier and Dagger set from Master Smith Marco Danelli

For those who are unfamiliar with Marco Danelli, he makes modern reproductions for HEMA use. According to the item's description he's scaled back his production significantly for health reasons, which jibes with what I've heard.

Best,

Mark Millman
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52

Page 52 of 52

Jump to: