Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Visors: Methods of keeping them up or down. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Again, we're not in disagreement. I'm trying to support your claim. Happy

God, I'm sorry, Chad, I took your post as disagreement--I'm sorry, e-mail sucks as way to communicate.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a problem with my klappvisier - not of holding it up but to keep it down. As mention previsously, this kind of visor is attached by means of a small hinge, and it tends to "flap" during movement. Any suggestions on what to do to keep it in place?
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
James Barker wrote:
I think we get a skewed modern view on how armor works because we buy cheap armor from low or middle skilled armor reproduction companies. One of the armored men in Grey's camp has a McPherson sallet; the visor stays up when you lift it all on its own because he made the helmet correctly.

Exactly! People often think I go to far in insisting on accurate armor, but these are the kinds of things that make that necessary. I'll tell you, however, that there can still be confusion even when things are done accurately. Take, for example, German-style klapvisors (which, for those who dont' know, are fixed to the helmet with a single small hinge). No matter how tight you peen the rivet in the hinge when you ride a horse they tend to flop up and down, making it almost impossible to see to aim your lance. I've talked to Mac about this a lot and he's just not sure how they solved the problem since there's no evidence whatsoever for any other method of securing them in place.

As Hugh said, if it doesn't work the way we need it to, it isn't properly made. My klappvisor stays up just fine. The hinge was made with this problem in mind. The points of contact between the upper and lower sections have a slight bevel in opposition. Push the visor up and friction holds it. Admittedly, I haven't tried this on horseback. Blush It might eventually jiggle loose at the trot.

What I'd like is something to keep the visor from swinging a bit when I run or bend over. The artifact my visor is based on has a little latten finial at the bottom tip, pierced for a lace or ring. Haven't quite figured out how to make that work as a "tie down" though. Some kind of little hook or something I suppose.

TTFN,

Kel
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
What I'd like is something to keep the visor from swinging a bit when I run or bend over. The artifact my visor is based on has a little latten finial at the bottom tip, pierced for a lace or ring. Haven't quite figured out how to make that work as a "tie down" though. Some kind of little hook or something I suppose.

Hi Kel,

An acquaintance of mine suffered the same problem, so to solve it he attached an unobtrusive bit of leather to his aventail directly under the lower edge of the visor. The leather was pierced for the up-turned tip of the visor and it held the visor closed in even the roughest combat. I don't say this is an authentic practice, but it's minor and works quite well.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Visors: Methods of keeping them up or down.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: