Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > For Nathan, regarding a sword in his collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: For Nathan, regarding a sword in his collection         Reply with quote

I noticed from your wallpaper that you have a Del Tin German Hand-and-a-Half sword. What was your opinion of the sword? I keep ogling it everytime I go to the Del Tin or Art Elwell sites... Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Carl-

I don't own a German Del Tin hand and a half sword, but I've always liked that model. That wallpaper shows some other hand and a halfs that have compound hilts, but not the DT2160.

I took this photo, recently, of an Albion version ADT2160:

I like this model quite a bit and have always wanted to add one to my collection, but never have. It's a bit heavy in the hand, and most likely heavier than the original on which it is based. (This is speculation, as I don't have any specs on the original). Overall, it's very nice and, especially considering its price niche, I'd suggest it as a purchase.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled two versions of this, one that was about five or so years old, and one that was pretty new with an Albion grip. Both were a tad on the hefty side, but not too badly, and I think the second one was slightly lighter (though I handled the two at different times, so I could be mistaken). But I really like this sword. Nice balance and feel in the hand.
Carl Croushore
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That albion blade is quite nice! I keep waffling on what sword I want to add to my collection next. Cash is always a limiting factor, but right now, I have the means to get a good blade, so I'm trying to take my time and get one I want to keep, and one that is as well constructed as it is aesthetically pleasing to me.

I've always been partial to the long-sword / bastard / hand-and-a-half swords. The Albion Next-Gen swords like the Sempach and the Viceroy look to be exquisite in plan, and although I haven't handled one, the Del Tin German 1 1/2 hander looks nice too. I also like the Next-Gen Sovereign in concept fo a single-hand sword.

I am also looking really hard at Lutel out of the Czech Republic. A lot of his single-handers look like they use the same blades in the photos, but his hand-and-a-halfs and two-hand swords look exceptional, especially considering the reasonable price, AND the scabbard, hangers and belt the smaller swords have included in their pricing.

I appreciate all the help you folks are willing to share here. I have some experience with blades, but mostly with knies/daggers and axes. I truly love looking at the design processes behind the blades, especially in the area of hilts and adornments. Having a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Metalsmithing and Ceramics, it's the details that catch my eye. Wink

-- Carl
Allen Johnson

Reading list: 29 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also know some one who has this and I've had a few chances to swing it around. he has it sharpened and didnt want to risk scratching up someones blade, so I didnt spar or cut anythig with it but it does have a nice solid feel. Yeah a bit on the heavy side, but not unmanagable.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friend has one and although it's a bit heavy for my taste I really like it. I noticed that the cross section of the blade seems slightly thinner than some previous DT's I've owned which adds some wobble but not in a bad way.
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Early 16th Century Hand and a Half Sword DT2160         Reply with quote

Hi guys, I am at the moment learning to fight with a longswords in a way (I quess) like in this
"Fighting with the German Longsword" book...

There for I was also looking around and orientating up on these longswords at varius swordmaker and seller site's.
I also discoverd this del tin sword at the Albion site.
It realy catched my eye....

I have to admide this longsword stuf isn't my main interrest but maybe i would like to follow up this langsword course because i realy enjoy it.

To make a long(sword) story short would this: Early 16th Century Hand and a Half Sword DT2160 be a good choise to have for practising???

It surtenly is a pretty choise dow...
[/b]

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Early 16th Century Hand and a Half Sword DT2160         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Hi guys, I am at the moment learning to fight with a longswords in a way (I quess) like in this
"Fighting with the German Longsword" book...

There for I was also looking around and orientating up on these longswords at varius swordmaker and seller site's.
I also discoverd this del tin sword at the Albion site.
It realy catched my eye....

I have to admide this longsword stuf isn't my main interrest but maybe i would like to follow up this langsword course because i realy enjoy it.

To make a long(sword) story short would this: Early 16th Century Hand and a Half Sword DT2160 be a good choise to have for practising???

It surtenly is a pretty choise dow...
[/b]

Hi,

I've handled two of these so here's my impression.

As mentioned, it is a nice sword but on the heavy side. I think the weight is around 4 pounds or more and you will feel every ounce of it. The DT2160 has a "lazy" feel compared to my Albion Baron and for a new student of longsword I would not recommend it . To truely appreciate the art of longsword I would suggest something more lively and versitile. Aesthetically, It's very nice but too heavy for my taste.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Ok         Reply with quote

Ok then what about this beauty...

Somehow I realy start to like these types of swords.
Especialy this Armour Class 16th Century Europe Hand and Half, I like and would be something that I am whilling to buy at Armour Class (at least scothland isn't as far as the USA ) and I can pay for in order to do my longsword practising with.

This one is also in Nathans collection http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_ac_hh.html?13

Do you think this Armour Class 16th Century Europe Hand and Half, will work in this practising role for me??
Can someone tell me how it handels? Is it just as heavy as the German Del Tin hand and a half sword you think??
http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/17Century_2.htm

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ok         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Ok then what about this beauty...

Somehow I realy start to like these types of swords.
Especialy this [b]Armour Class 16th Century Europe Hand and Half,[b/] I like and would be something that I am whilling to buy at Armour Class (at least scothland isn't as far as the USA ) and I can pay for in order to do my longsword practising with.

This one is also in Nathans collection http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_ac_hh.html?13

Do you think this Armour Class 16th Century Europe Hand and Half, will work in this practising role for me??
Can someone tell me how it handels? Is it just as heavy as the German Del Tin hand and a half sword you think??
http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/17Century_2.htm

The Armour Class is no longer in Nathan's collection because I bought it from him Big Grin

This has become one of my favorite swords for WMA training. The blade is designed for blunt training so it's thick but still very well balanced and allows for excellent control. There's just no comparison in handling between this and the Del Tin but again, it's designed for blunt training and is more balanced towards the hilt. The Del Tin is more of a cutter so it's blade heavy. I beleive the Del Tin is almost a pound heavier.

It's really about what your going to do with the sword.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: WMA Training??         Reply with quote

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for dow... Happy

Oh eh what is WMA training??

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: WMA Training??         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Sounds like exactly what I am looking for dow... Happy

Oh eh what is WMA training??

Okay sorry...

Just a couple abbreviations to keep in mind:

WMA (Western Martial Arts)

HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts)

EMA (Eastern Martial Arts)

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Pommel         Reply with quote

It looks like the pommel is screwed on is it?? Worried
No loose grip or such??

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pommel         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
No loose grip or such??

The pommel has a hole through the whole thing. There is a nut that then secures the pommel to the tang. The nut is threaded, but not the pommel. The whole assembly is compression-fit.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pommel         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
No loose grip or such??

No, the grip has shown no signs of loosening.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok         Reply with quote

Gary Grzybek wrote:
This has become one of my favorite swords for WMA training. The blade is designed for blunt training so it's thick but still very well balanced and allows for excellent control.

I'm glad to know you are enjoying it as much as I did. I loved that sword for its purpose.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > For Nathan, regarding a sword in his collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic