Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

James H. wrote:
WOW, that is amazing work. Do you cast the detail pieces or are they engraved? Well, here's to hoping that you'll grow tire of them one they and post them for sell. ;) When ever I look on line for someplace they are never see that kind of combination of accuracy and detail combined with functionality. Great Job obviously a lot of passion was put into your work.[/img]

WOW, that is amazing work. Do you cast the detail pieces or are they engraved? Well, here's to hoping that you'll grow tired of them one day and post them for sell. ;) Whenever I look on line for someplace that sells pieces like these they never seem like they have that kind of combination of accuracy and detail combined with functionality. Great Job, obviously a lot of passion was put into your work! (I worked late last night, bad grammar on my part :lol: )
Vendel period arms and clothing
Hi guys,
here is a pic from a recent event we attended, a good selection of period helms for your viewing pleasure. :)
From left to right: Wollaston by myself , Valsgarde 7 by Ivor Lawton , Valsgarde 6 by Grzegorz Kulig, Vendel 1 and generic Vendel style helm both by Ivor Lawton.

Attachment: 66.04 KB
period helms.jpg

Also here is pic of Dave Huggins' new Valsgarde 6 helm by Grzegorz Kulig, having worn this helm myself at our recent event in Marle,I can state that it is very comfortable, when worn with a suitable arming cap underneath, mobility and visibility are both excellent, Dave is very lucky to have such a fine array of helms, I am hoping to have one of Grzegorz' fine helms myself, in the near future.If any one has any questions, feel free to message us.
Best,
Bruce

Attachment: 57.84 KB
New V6.jpg

I cannot see many differences between the Valsgarde 7 pictured above and the Valsgarde 8 by Thorkil, maybe a longer nasal in the 7. Is there something else I am missing?

http://thorkil.ovh.org/valsgarde8_eng.htm

Does anybody know if Ivor Lawton is still in business? His craft is… wow! Looks as superb as Thorkil’s!
I suggest U look again. Those are two completly different helmets. =)
:blush: Oops! Different eyebrows, one more row of panels, different motifs in the panels,... Yes, I was missing something.
I have a question about liners for these helms. See, I'm taking a real cheapo Gjermundbu-type helm and trying my best to convert it into something Vendel-looking. But I just don't know what to do about a liner (again, cheapo so no liner). I'll probably use an arming cap too, so I'm thinking just a plain leather liner. What does everyone think?
A question regarding those helmets - it is well known that in Grave 8 in Valsgarde splints and helmet has been found. However, very litle (to not to say none) information is avaliable (at least, in english) as to what else was in the grave. Perharps someone can shed some light on this question?
Academics often use the term "ceremonial" as a way of saying that they have no idea about the true function of an item. Until fairly recent times, virtually all helmets were made with battle in mind - even the more heavily decorated ones. Whether they actually saw use on a batttlefield is irrelevant. There are tons of surviving helmets dating from the Bronze Age onwards with thicknesses between 1 and 2mm that were clearly intended for battle. Today many pieces of armour are overbuilt because of legal restrictions and because owners don't want to pay for repairs after an event. Historical armour is very often much lighter than many assume. I agree with Paul. All of the surviving Vendel helmets were were intended for battle and his reconstruction of the Sutton Hoo is one of the best.
Artis Aboltins wrote:
A question regarding those helmets - it is well known that in Grave 8 in Valsgarde splints and helmet has been found. However, very litle (to not to say none) information is avaliable (at least, in english) as to what else was in the grave. Perharps someone can shed some light on this question?

Quite a bit of stuff, as I recall. The primary (and, really, only) source is Greta Arwidsson's "Valsgarde 8" which is in German. From what I remember from my partial translation there was at least one (and actually I think two) swords, a shield, and likely also a spear and maybe some arrows. I'll double check later. Also probably had fragments of horse harness, animal sacriffices, the boat itself, tools, etc. I can double check that, as well.
C. Gadda wrote:
Artis Aboltins wrote:

Quite a bit of stuff, as I recall. The primary (and, really, only) source is Greta Arwidsson's "Valsgarde 8" which is in German. From what I remember from my partial translation there was at least one (and actually I think two) swords, a shield, and likely also a spear and maybe some arrows. I'll double check later. Also probably had fragments of horse harness, animal sacriffices, the boat itself, tools, etc. I can double check that, as well.

That would be much appreciated! Unfortunatelly, my knowledge of german is... rather limited so I would not be able to read the article myself. I am especially interessed in finding out the details about the weapons and shield found in the grave so I could attempt to create as accurate set of equipment as possible based on that find.
Thanks Dan.
Artis,
There was a lot of artefacts in the Valsgärde 8 grave. The most important of which was a fair sized boat. The sword was a ring sword, two shields, helmet and splint armour, spears, seax, arrow heads, horse harness, gaming pieces and board, glass wear, an inscribed horn, wooden bowls, cooking equipment, including suspension chains and cauldron and utensils, small knives, tweezers, shears, working axe, textiles and more.

Paul
Thank you, Paul. Do you, by chance, know of any ilustrations of the grave finds other than the helmet and splinted defenses? (Those I have had chance to see myself in the Museum Gustavianum in Uppsala earlier this year)
Artis Aboltins wrote:
Thank you, Paul. Do you, by chance, know of any ilustrations of the grave finds other than the helmet and splinted defenses? (Those I have had chance to see myself in the Museum Gustavianum in Uppsala earlier this year)

Apart from getting Greta's book you likely will not find much. Both it (and Valsgarde 6, curiously enough) are available on Bookfinder.com, but they are not cheap - about $350 apiece (which seems a bit high - I don't recall paying nearly as much for them, but this was several years ago). Ordinarily I'd offer to scan them for you, but with my main system down for the foreseeable future I doubt I'll be able to get to it anytime soon.
Artis Aboltins wrote:

I'm very happy you got the chance to have a look at some of our best vendel period items. The Gustavianum museum really worked our a quite nice exibition this time. Did you also have time to visit the "Old Upsala Museum"? If not you have to come back.

Here is a link to 1468 pictures of swedish vendel period items and finds. (test info are in swedish) Enjoy. :)

http://mis.historiska.se/mis/sok/resultat_bil...amp;page=1

Regards,

/Ville
Thank you Ville for that link to the pictures at that Swedish site. Its amazing the stuff they found and how well some of it is preserved!
When were stirrups introduced to Scandinavia? If Vendel warriors didn't have stirrups what would their mounted tactics look like? Throwing javelins or more of a melee fighting?
Luka Borscak wrote:
When were stirrups introduced to Scandinavia? If Vendel warriors didn't have stirrups what would their mounted tactics look like? Throwing javelins or more of a melee fighting?

Vendel period warriors did have stirrups.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...ljebok.png
Luka Borscak wrote:

They're known from the Viking age at least, I guess they were introduced by the Avars in the 7th-8th century. I suppose that Vendel age Scandinavians preferred to fight on foot, and that horsemen saw limited use as scouts or possibly skirmishers. This was normally the case among the Norse until the adoption of continental-style knightly cavalry in the 12th century
Ville Vinje wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Vendel period warriors did have stirrups.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...ljebok.png

Interesting, they must have been among the first Europeans to adopt stirrups then? Perhaps it indicates close and early contacts with the Avars and other Steppe people in the East?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Page 6 of 15

Jump to: