Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me out with 17th Century hilts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Jensen

PostPosted: Wed 13 Aug, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Help me out with 17th Century hilts         Reply with quote

Now, believe me, I've read the wonderful information on this site regarding hilts, but I still have a few questions.

Cross-hilt - easy enough, it's like a medieval long sword. This may only include big solid medieval hilts or it could include simple, thin, quillons-only hilts I see in Renaissance hardware.

Cup-hilt - like a classic rapier, but I'm not sure if it has to be solid or if it can be perforated. This might mean the protection is only frontal (i.e. thumb and index finger) and not "cutlassy" (meaning a really fat knuckle-bow that curves forward to surround the blade)

Basket-hilt - I thought this had to be solid, but I see a lot of examples of baskets that look like they are woven from strips of metal - beautiful! But then I wonder how this type differs from....

Cage-hilt - Like a mortuary sword's?

How would you distinguish the solid, "can't stab through it with a rapier", cutlass-type hilt from the complex, "woven" or perforated designs? (At least, I associate these with a naval cutlass from maybe 1690.)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help me out with 17th Century hilts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic