Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gauntlets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Gauntlets         Reply with quote

I am trying to find a good pair of gauntlets. Until recently I had decided to buy from the Mercenary's Tailor. http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/images/Fingered%20gauntlets.JPG
However upon looking closer at them I am not too sure any more. I am seeking help from the fine people here. What i am looking for is web sites and/or prices/Pics of your gauntlets that you have acquired, and how well they perform. If there is restriction as there should not be or too much articulation. I have tried to look around myself but I seem to keep comming across the same gauntlets online.

I am looking for any style and century as long as the metal is a 16 gauge(body of gauntlets) and 18 gauge(finger lames) I would prefer a thicker gauge though I myself only found 1 12 gauge pair, though I would have to wait till march of next year to get them and that is if I paid for them now>< So a no go for that. But really, any help is truly appreciated and I know some of you have some sweet stuff ^^

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris, I'm encountering much the same problem. I've already bought a pair of gauntlets off e-bay that turned out to be duds. I couldnt even grip a weapon. The ones I am currently looking at are these http://darksword-armory.com/1706.html .

They are 16 and 18 guage but I've been talking to them and they will do a set in all 16 for $75 extra. Maybe they will go thicker if you ask. I still have to find out if the finger plates are riveted on to strips of leather then sewn on to gloves and not just riveted directly onto the gloves. Unless I find something else in the next month....these are my next purchase. If you're interested ...I'll let you know how they perform.

I don't know if you're familiar with Dark Sword, but they are renowned for their extremely durable, if not all that historically accurate, swords, so my hopes are high on these ones.
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

try to find the guys who are making spring steel gauntlets......after forming them they immerse them in a molten salt.....light as aluminum and are a groovy blur/black....I believe a gentleman in oklahoma(ansteorra) is making the best for your buck...I'll ask around armor archive and get back to you.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff and Kelly, yes please do keep me updated I would be very interested in both items
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Spring steel gaunts (and whatever else you can afford) are the way to go, but you will likely have to pay a fair amount for them (unless you don't mind picking up a set that aren't historical or aren't custom fitted). They won't always be blue/black - that is an additional finishing process ('bluing') that produces that color.

I have found the following folks who do semi-custom or pre-build work by searching over at the Armour Archive (some very knowledgeable folks over there, imagine some of them are here too)... but not all of them do spring steel work:
http://members.aol.com/knightsarmoury/knightsarmoury.htm
http://www.madmattsarmory.com/
http://wildarmoury.com/
http://armourandcastings.com/

Or you could go the custom route, but that gets a bit tricky and expensive. I am trying to commission some pieces through a fellow in Poland, and would recommend posting to the Armour Archive looking for specific information before going down that road (can be rather long).

Do you have any specific idea of what you want (style, how historical, etc)? - knowing that will help provide some more advice

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
Matt Edwards

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: i         Reply with quote

I would watch out with ordering fingers from anyone over seas. If they dont work right then your stuck with them. If there in the states then you will have no problam takeing care of getting them fixed up (most of the time). And the guys at knights armoury are not takeing commissions right now. Mad matt is a good armourer but he is new at makeing finger gaunts. You would be mad matts 2nd or 3rd person that i know of that orderd fingers from him. If i were to order finger gaunts i would order from shamrockarmory.com or icefalcon.con if i had the money.
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that link David, these are a great lookin pair of gauntlets.
http://armourandcastings.com/index.php?_a=vie...ductId=100

They've got a couple of mean lookin Barbute helms too that look a little fantasy like to me but none the less impressive.

Hmm I may need to add Armor and Castings to my favorites list....anybody have any experience with their product?
Particularly Gauntlets and Sabatons.
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff,
Take a look at Medieval Reproductions, Peter Fuller is one of the best and he's in Calgary, there's a link to his site on the links page here.

'I saw young Harry, -with his bevor on,
His cuisses on his thighs, gallantly arm'd,-
Rise from the ground like feather'd Mercury,
And vaulted with such ease into his seat,
As if an angel dropp'd down from the clouds,
To turn and wind a fiery Pegasus,
And witch the world with noble horsemanship.'
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: i         Reply with quote

Matt Edwards wrote:
I would watch out with ordering fingers from anyone over seas. If they dont work right then your stuck with them. If there in the states then you will have no problam takeing care of getting them fixed up (most of the time). And the guys at knights armoury are not takeing commissions right now. Mad matt is a good armourer but he is new at makeing finger gaunts. You would be mad matts 2nd or 3rd person that i know of that orderd fingers from him. If i were to order finger gaunts i would order from shamrockarmory.com or icefalcon.con if i had the money.

I would even say that regardless of what you are getting, be it commissioned custom or stock pieces... I would ask around for information about whoever you order from. There are plenty who have gotten shafted one way or the other.

Thanks for the update about Knights Armoury.

I forgot to mention Drew at Parts and Technical Museum works: partsandtechnical@hotmail.com - I almost commissioned some stuff through him, he seems to do decent work but I haven't seen any of his stuff in person. And there are a couple of canadian fellows whose names escape me, but their work looks quite nice as well... I want to say they are in Quebec... http://www.armurerieduduche.com/ is one of them.

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauntlets         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
I am trying to find a good pair of gauntlets. Until recently I had decided to buy from the Mercenary's Tailor. http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/images/Fingered%20gauntlets.JPG
However upon looking closer at them I am not too sure any more.

Just curious what aspects of the Mercenary Tailor's gauntlets make you not sure ?

Historical accuracy isn't at the living history level as things like using welding gloves as a base on which the steel parts are attached is obviously an economy measure.

In my case I has a semi-custom modification by having much better quality deer skin gloves used as they are thinner and more supple.

As far as usability these are munitions quality gauntlets and many jousters use these or other Merc Tailor's armour as it is durable, not so fine as to worry about scratching it and seem to hold up to heavy use. As well, the articulations make these usable compared to some low end gauntlets that don't work properly and restrict motion too much.

The MT gauntlets may also be too heavy as they are made to be able to take heavy SCA type fighting and are made of mild steel. Spring steel armour is much lighter at equal capacity to resist damage but they also are costly.

Finally, the MT stuff is " Off the rack " available " NOW " not after months or years of waiting for a custom product to be made and delivered.

So, depending on your needs, wants and requirements they might or might not work for you. Wink Cool

I'm sort of biased by the fact that I like Allan and consider him a friend, but I can say that his customer service is fast and some of the best out there. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't seen it mentioned here and perhaps you all know better but watch out for Kings Lance gauntlets. I bought a pair of mitten gauntlets and broke them in at a SCA tourney. I was duct taping them to my hands after my first bout. That's bad enough but what makes it even worse is that I was using full gaunts AND a baskethilt AND I didn't take any direct blows to the hands...

I'm in the process of rebuilding them. The main problem seems to be uselessly weak leather strapping and rivets that are too small. The body of the gauntlets seems fine, just not articulated/put together well. As they were only about $100, I should have known better but it was all I could afford, so it's what I ended up with.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You some some factors that also are important. The most important is what you are using them for. Many groups, especially the SCA are very specific about finger gauntlets. They require the individual fingers ground out on the weapon handle of 1/4 inch padding. Soem kingdoms do not even allow them. Several other groups have them.

Historic gauntlets often varied from around in thickness. I have seen some around 1.2-1.5mm top end to .8mm low end. I have even seen places they are thinner. Many of these bits likely were not heat treated thought only a few have ever had any testing done for that. So gauntlets often do seem lighter because they were. Finger gaunts remain in common use long after the mitten disappears. It seems odd as the provide far less protection from impact than mittens. Some 17th century gauntlets I worked on were simple scales on leather strips. Nothing complicated.

So then the question is what do you need them for. Display, LH, SCA? Each one has specific needs, though they may and can over lap. I have seen some really nice SCA gauntlets that were very accurate historically. Shawn's point is a good one. Mass produced and less expensive you might be looking at saving 40-50 or more but you may have some work to get them usable.

Also what time period are you looking at? This will also determine what you ought to use or not use.

I have not bought from these people but have seen some of their work and it was very good.
http://www.bestarmour.com/rukavice7.html

The gaunts I make for myself or others all vary. parts that overlap a lot are 1-1.2mm or so. The cuff can be lighter if you plan on having an arm harness on. very hard to destroy the arm through 2-3mm or armour. Parts that do not are usually 1.5mm plus or their abouts. I use fingers gauntlets for LH stuff now and with some decent padding etc. They are good. To this day I do feel more confident that if I am concerned about some people on the field or what not I have my mitten gauntlets. I did a little SCA as a guest in mittens I made of 1.2-2mm. It was funny I went to some practices several times and then met up with a friend in the SCA and was fighting in the same gaunts I always did. So after an hour plus one of my mittens lames popped. I was surprised as I never had any armour failures with my stuff. So my wife looked for and found the rivet as I tried figuring what happened to the gauntlet. Turned out that I did not even peened the rivet. Because the articulation was so tight and the glove obscured it I did not notice... I had finished them the night before I needed them at midnight or so. For years it had just sat there and never had an issue. It was not even a blow to my hand that knocked it out it was just the movement of my sword. My lesson was to inspect things over and over again. Of course I think I tend to be less concerned about stuff I make myself than others. Big Grin I am much more careful with my own stuff now.

Good luck and let us know what you are looking for.

RPM

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau:
Quote:
Just curious what aspects of the Mercenary Tailor's gauntlets make you not sure ?

I'm sort of biased by the fact that I like Allan and consider him a friend, but I can say that his customer service is fast and some of the best out there.

I spoke to Allan at MT yesterday. He replied quite quickly to many E-mails I sent him and made a purchase of his pauldrons (Yay! My first piece of plate armour) I really like the info given. In talking with Allan I am a bit more impressed with the gauntlets he offers vs. anything else I see (I was worried about mobility) Even when speaking to him he gave suggestions on places to check out for gauntlets, he did not mention his own until I asked, that is just impressive and kind. I thank you all so much for the replies, really good discussion to find out the info all around and widening my view of the community of Armour craftsmen.

To answer the main question, what I need them for:

(A little back ground of me too)
I am not into any SCA, stage combat, shows, or anything of the sort (Iwould love to get into a jousting gig of some sort> wish) Though I attended the Texas Ren Fest two years ago. I have spent 2 and 1/2 years making a single piece of chain mail by hand and I have just gotten into plate armour (had the desire for a long time)
1 - - I would like to know what a knight felt like in a full suit of armour.
2 - - (The main reason) I am about to be a father in 4 months and I want something special to do with my child. Just in my mind I think how awsome a hobby unlike any other; would be to have with my child. The thought just goes through my head "My dad is a real Knight!"

I do not like to simply collect things. I like to buy something that is able to be used and has durability and that will last. I have specific taste in what I am looking for, though the bad side to that, is that I cannot descibe what appeals to me, I just know when I see it(Which is the need for the help) Also I always go to the Texas Ren fest and 1 other festival every year, It's a great time to show my armour off and have that feeling of wearing something genuine.

My appreciation goes out to every one. I really do think ill buy from Allan at The Mercenary's Tailor. Now it is just saving the cash.

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gauntlets and a helm are two pieces you definitely want to get "right".

You absolutely want to know the purpose clearly before you put your money out.

In my case, I wanted a pair for high-end living history and display, and some occasional WMA use. I also wanted to go straight to the pinnacle of the "German Gothic" armours, and for them to be as accurate and proper as I could get. To fill this bill, I went to Jiri Lucius of Armoury Lucifer in the Czech Republic. (www.luciferarmoury.com) Jiri is a top-notch artist and all-around good guy. Communicating with him was always awesome, and he sent regular updates. Here's what I wound up with:

Links to two galleries of pics of this pair:
http://www.luciferarmoury.com/galerie.php?aktsl=107
http://www.luciferarmoury.com/galerie.php?aktsl=95

These are the best pieces I've ever seen outside of a museum. They fit my needs (and hands) perfectly. The articulation is very tight (tolerance) and glide almost silently and through the full range of motion of originals.

I would not hesitate for an instant to commission further work from Jiri. Outstanding work, good communication, and I feel I certainly got what I paid for (and probably more).
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Aaron et. al.,

I agree - Jiri's gauntlets are amazing. I own this pair: http://www.luciferarmoury.com/galerie.php?aktsl=52

I own a lot of reproduction armour, but these are the finest pieces of my collection. Unfortunately, I need to take one of them apart this week to reattach a finger; that happens when you fight with poleaxes!

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Judging only by looks and an apparent connection to the Guild of St. Olaf folks, Via Armorari appears to have high quality products:

http://www.viaarmorari.com/

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Aaron O'Bryan-Herriott

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi.
I realize this thread is now a few weeks old and may not still be monitored by the participants, but I thought I'd throw my $0.02 in regardless.
Randall mentioned Bestarmour.com and their Gauntlets. From my POV (and I hadn't known about the other armourers mentioned, so I can't comment on them), the crew at Bestarmour are very fine people and easy to work with, if you don't mind a week or maybe two delay in communications. Their Gauntlet range is extensive. I'm not sure if they are exacting in terms of historical accuracy, but I they do tend to take very seriously their work and it looks fantastic (in the images). I myself would appreciate someone with specific knowledge commenting on the accuracy of their designs.
I can give you my opinion about quality, weight and workmanship in better detail shortly though, since a pair of their Gauntlets is (finally - the wait was about three months) arriving in the next few days.
They require a complete set of hand dimensions to make any pair for a customer, so in this sense they truly are custom-made. In fact to the best of my knowledge, all of their Armour pieces are custom... which in itself is a step above ready-made pieces and already more historically accurate in terms of process.
Price for the Mitten RG 4.3 pair was around $600. Seems costly, but I'm really hoping they live up to expectations... expectations which they fairly set on their page, so I'll be sharply disappointed if they don't. Either way it turns out, I expect they should certainly *look* nice Happy
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

about Medieval Reproductions...they are really really really, way too much expensive...imo

About the Canadian armourers there are Eric Dubé at www.armuredube.com and François L'Archevêque at www.flarcheveque.com . Some years ago they were associates in the Armurerie du Duché, but that time is gone (O: Both two are at the top of their art.

Here in Québec, Darksword Armoury is well reknown for the poor quality of ALL of his products. Gauntlets are way too big and heavy. For good handling you'll need something more tight to your hands. Mercenary's Tailor seems as good as Darksword... even the Museum Replicas model seems to be way better ! Always remember, even with custom order you can have a good price if you don't want that much ornementations en them.

Those ones made by Jiri are just outstanding !

And... as usual, you'll have what you paid for...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
even the Museum Replicas model seems to be way better !

See here : http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...+gauntlets for details.

After this Pete Fuller who designed and built the prototype for MRL offered to try and get Bills pair to work and was not successful.
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the problem Bill had is nothing to compare to the crap made by Darksword (O:

ok. I'll order a pair of MRL gauntlets and made tests of my own (O:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gauntlets
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: