Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting through helmets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-I will add one last comment on this subject. Read the ARMA article "Fightbook Clues to Quality and Build of Knightly Weaponry". The author states that Some german smiths did know about mixing iron ore and carbonacious material in smelting, and Some smiths Do refer to heat treatment in salt baths.Take it for what you will I only know a few words of German, the old people stoped speaking it aarond the house in my grandfathers time
Ja68ms
Christopher H

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Some smiths Do refer to heat treatment in salt baths.

As far as I understand this would be an entirely different process to what was referred to as being used by modern smiths - very hot salt (molten liquid) baths are used to enable a more precise and uniform heating of steel than what can be performed in an oven or forge.
The brine quench was (and still is) used to enable a faster cooling effect by raising the boiling point of the solution.
Sam M.

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Sirs-I would point out that the men wearing barrel helms and sugar loaf helms oftem wore a one-piece metal cap under it as well as the coif. Maybe they knew something? They were the ones risking their lives on the battle field after all.

Sirs,

At the risk of exposing my own ignorance, I have to point out that while the inclusion of the coif and metal cap under the helm might imply some risk of the helm being cloven, that misses the point entirely. The question was whether pictures such as the ones in the Maciejowksi Bible accurately depict swords cleaving helms. The answer to this question can only be "no" because even if it was possible that a sword could cleave the outer helm (a question which has been debated back and forth already by people far better informed than myself), I contend that it is not possible that the sword blow could cleave all of the helm, coif, and cap (as well as a layer of textile lining the cap) at once. Since the pictures in question show the swords penetrating quite deeply into the heads of the victims and drawing blood, they are clearly not realistic regardless of the power of sword blows to cleave helms. I hope this settles at least that one aspect of the matter.

To answer James' point, I suspect that (as suggested by others) the triple-layer of head protection served to protect against concussive force rather than penetrating force. Similarly, the sugarloaf helm presumably superseded the flat-topped helm because it seems better able to deflect concussive blows than the flat-topped helm, particularly from maces, axes, and warhammers (rather than swords), in addition to better deflecting the penetrating attacks of warhammer back-spikes. I imagine that if anything could penetrate a helm, coif, and cap, it would be a back-spike, and that a sugarloaf-style helm would resist that penetration better than a flat-topped helm.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
ARMA tests show that it is virtually impossible to cut through a helmet far enough to injure the wearer in battle conditions. It is far easier if the helmet is placed on a rigid support which is not realistic. A helmet showing "battle damage" is not the same as the wearing being injured from the blow.

How about this:
http://www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html

A "world record" cut against a helmet.
A 500 year old helmet was placed at waist height on a rigid surface and was cut by a master swordsman wielding a blade that was specifically made for the task using a technique that would never have been employed in battle (i.e. the test was HEAVILY biased against the armour) and the best he could do was a shallow 13cm cut that wouldn't have scratched the scalp of someone who was wearing it.

The chances of a sword cutting through a helmet under battlefield conditions are so low as to be statistically negligible. It happened on occasion. There are Napoleonic eyewitness accounts mentioning brass helmets being cleaved. I can't think of any medieval accounts though.

I know next to nought about the Mackajowski bible, is it posible that the image shows a weld/rivit failure rather than cleaving through metal? (Umm, assuming helmets of that period had rivets or welds)

Also, can somebody perform these tests using a swordsman who has been empowered by God? Maybe that would change the result... Wink
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps what is not being considered here is the effects of rust on a fairly thin 22-20 gage helm.

What do you suppose is the expected life of a helm that has been through the rigors of campaigns and exposed to the elements the whole time? 10 years, 20 years, 50 years, 100 years?

I do not see an old helm as being discarded and put out of use. I see it being passed down the ranks to poorer and poorer men. At some point that helm is going to fail in battle when hit.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
David Teague

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All,

What's not being considered here is it is just artistic license.

Just like today's Hollywood movies with swords cutting though swords, firearms that never run out of ammo, hand grenades that explosive force is far closer to a 500 # bomb, the Maciejowksi Bible has illustrations of old testament battles with the participants wearing (the then) contemporary armour. Helmeted heads get cleaved, swords go cleanly though maille like a hot knife though butter...

it's the dramatization of a biblical tale. Artistic license. That's all.

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Christopher Lee

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug Lester wrote:
I've been wondering about this subject for a while. Reviewing the books that I have on the battles of Towton and Wisby I'm impressed with the reports on the remains where healed bone injuries caused by sharp edged weapons are reported, such as the skull and head reproduction of the man on the cover of "Blood Red Roses". We have no idea when or how these wounds were inflicted but couldn't these give some support to the idea that partial penitration of armour was at least occasionally achieved?

My understanding from reading Blood Red Roses (though it was a while back now) was that most of the wounds to the skulls were of a penetrating nature caused by things such as warhammer spikes, bodkins or the points of daggers; there are several skulls with cutting wounds but as i recall many of them have been received on the lower face and jaw? This could still happen even though the victim was wearing a helmet. I remember also that there were some cutting wounds to other parts of skulls but they were also in cunjunction with a number of other wounds; in most cases the cuts were to the back of the skull, indicating one of two things; that the person had been dropped by another blow and then a series of blow were delivered to the back of the head once they fell forward; or that they were attacked from behind while fleeing.

However, the other factor was that these skeletons came from a grave some distance from the actual site of the battle so its been suggested that these bodies belonged to those soldiers killed during the rout that followed when it was common for soldier to discard peices of armour in an effort to move faster (also i dare say they were pretty damned hot and sweaty and would want to get a helmet off as fast as possible), leaving them open to killing blows to the head when their pursuers caught up with them. Also there were no ruined pieces of armour in the mass grave; if a helm was split it would have been pretty much useless and not worth carrying away.

So, unless the combatants in the Mac Bible were armoured by Matel it think its pretty unlikey that helms were split that consistently or deeply. That said though, given the centuries of warfare from one end of europe to the other, involving all sorts of qualities of swords and helms and situations it would be perhaps ambitious to totally rule out its ever having happened anywhere. Pretty damned unlikey, but not totally impossible; so much the exception, so rare and so dependent upon specific situations and circumstances that no real conclusions could be drawn from it (maybe?).
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Delivering a perfect, helmet splitting blow in combat would be quite hard. Even if the enemy is distracted and does not block, the angle and distance to the target makes perfect strikes rare.

Also, in the 13th century, aiming for the less armoured neck or side of the head would be easier and more effektive.
The main development in helmets from the 12th to the 14th centuries is after all developments towards better protection for the face and sides of the head.
While face and cheek protectors where common in the earlier periods (like seen in Vendel and Sutton Ho, for instance), it seems to be less so in the 11th and 12th centuries, presumably because mail coifs replaced them.
The face-plate greathelms reintroduce face armour, but leaves the sides of the head protected only by mail. These are again replaced by the full greathelm, which gives all round protection, but has poor visibility.
This again is fixed by adding a visor.

In the open face/infantry department, kettlehats provide additional protection for the side of the head, and if you bend your head forward, the face. In the 14th century open faced bacinets, protecting everything but the face, become a common infantry choise as well.

Everyone that has tried to fight in close ranks with head hits know that the head is extremely exposed, and that going into combat without one is pretty much suecide. There is a reason helmets are the first piece of armour acquired by all soldiers.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have done a few experiments on my own SCA armor with some beater swords. On 18 gage mild steel knees (round surface) it is possible to dent the steel with a single handed sword. It is possible to even dent enough so that the joint articulation does not work properly. On 13 gage helmet, it impossible to do anything more then scratch the surface. The 13 gage helmet weights about 9.5 lbs with padding. This is something that would only be worn in a joust, not something that a person can march all day in for weeks. The typical nasal helm would have weight 2 to 3 lbs. Historical armor from what I have seen is closer to 22 to 18 gage. I seems to get thicker in the 16th century as guns become more common, but it seems that they loose the armor on the limbs and back, keeping only the breastplate and helm.

My tests with the steel sword showed approximately a 50% chance (for me) of glancing off the surface of the rounded armor. In the other 50% of test trials the sword blow made good contact and imparted all of the energy into the armor. In the case of the 18 gage knee it left deep dents. In no case was I able to penetrate the steel armor. The armor used had no rust.

From my own fighting experience I know that it is not necessary to penetrate head armor to put someone out of commission. Observe the following video. I am in blue fighting with shield. My opponents has a 9.5 lb helmet exactly like the one I tested my steel sword on made by the armorer Ascroft/Baker. I am using rattan rather then steel in the video which has a good deal of flex to absorb some of the impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0-ceBCxJk

I start off fighting with an experimental 2 lb sword with a balance point 6 inches below the hilt. Not feeling comfortable with it I changed back to my regular 2 lb 15 oz sword with a POB 4 inches below the hilt. I forgot to bring my calibration down with the heavier sword. My opponent did not trip and fall in that video. I brought the equivalent of about 160 lbs of force down on his head. He described after how he felt the force go through his neck, down spine and collapse his knees.

I don't know about cutting through a helmet, but you can still transfer a great deal of force through a helmet to the head. If that was a 2 - 3 lb nasal helm and I got a good shot on it with a Type X, that guy would be in Valhalla right now.

I am wondering if the images of swords cleaving through helms are based on peoples heads being crushed inside their helms from powerful blows. I can see how an artist might make that illustrative leap.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting but one should be careful of giving someone a concussion or worse !

The helm might hold but the neck might snap !

Obviously a heavier blow given in the clip than intended and probably a bit scary until the guy got up and didn't die of head trauma 12 hours later !

As far as splitting helms is concerned historically I agree with the artistic licence theory that it didn't normally happen with a sword. Maybe a large Danish axe or a halberd/poleaxe ? But then again the blunt trauma would be more than enough without any cutting into the helm.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Douglas S

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Sirs-I was always under the impression that this is why axes were so popular-to cut through heavy armour such as helmets, breastplates, and so on.

Do we know that the Gjermundbu helmet was damaged by a sword and not an axe? Or somebody's brother-in-law with a chainsaw for that matter? Wink

Helmets are basically deisgned to stop swords and other nasty things (actually mostly spears). You may make a sword that can defeat the helmet, but then I can make a helmet that will defeat that.
Douglas S

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
I don't know about cutting through a helmet, but you can still transfer a great deal of force through a helmet to the head.

Yet it didn't knock him out. Have you seen any knockouts in the SCA? I haven't.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas S wrote:
I don't know about cutting through a helmet, but you can still transfer a great deal of force through a helmet to the head.

I'm not sure if you read through the whole post. I explained how we use 14 gage to 12 helmets that weigh 7 to 10 lbs. The mass of these modern helmets absorb much more of the impact then a typical 12 century footman would have on his head. A 12 th century nasal helm only weighted about 2 lbs. There is a great deal more energy transfer into the head with a lighter helmet.

That aside people in the SCA have indeed received concussions from excessive blows. In resurrection battles marshals routinely stand at the resurrection points and look into people eyes for signs of concussions. It is rare because of the minimum steel gage requirements, but it does happen.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas S wrote:

Actually, ask Steve Hick about knockouts in the SCA sometime, he can give you a good second-hand account.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unlike SCAdians and modern martial artist, someone in a real fight would keep on hitting until the target when down instead of going "oooo damn!" and standing back if he landed a real heavy blow.

However, the thickness of historical helmet would indicate that a 2 ib helmet with the apropriate padding and mail would indicate that they WHERE sufficient to give adequate defence against sword blows. If not, they would have made them thicker. They might not have looked very pretty afterwards, but your head would be in one piece.
Compare to later period field and tournament armours; Field armours where made to stop the blow, tournament armours to stop blows repeatedly without beeing damaged.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

However, the thickness of historical helmet would indicate that a 2 ib helmet with the apropriate padding and mail would indicate that they WHERE sufficient to give adequate defence against sword blows. If not, they would have made them thicker.

My feeling on this from personal experience is that anything heavier then 2 lbs and you will not want to wear it on your head for long. I have a pretty stout build with a 17 inch neck and after wearing a 9 1/2 lb helmet for an hour at Pennsic I began to feel neck pains. Not muscle soarness type of pains, but headache type that you feel going up the back of your head from where the spine meets the head. The type that you can't just get use to. I fought in that helm for two years, so I know. Others have had similar experiences from wearing heavy helms.

The helm I am wearing now weighs 7 lbs. Big difference, I have had it on my head for up to 3 hrs with no pain problems. The blows do come in harder because of the lower mass. Still at 7 lbs, I can not stay in this all day. In field-battles I look for opportunities to sit on the side and take it off my head for a few minutes. I suppose this is a similar situation to the early bullet proof vests that were very bulky and cops did not want to wear them. They preferred to be more light, mobile and take their chance with bullets.

Quote:

Compare to later period field and tournament armours; Field armours where made to stop the blow, tournament armours to stop blows repeatedly without beeing damaged.

The tournaments are perfect examples. The early ones in the 11 th century were in open fields and lasted all day with teams of knights. They used regular field armor. In the later period ones, that they were in a list for a relatively short period of time, they started wearing heavier and thicker armor... They wore heavier armor because they only needed to wear it a short period of time.

I believe that the thickness of head armor was determined by how long the men had to endure it on their heads.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the they felt comfortable with 2lb. helmets or they would have been made thicker argument is lacking some. They did make them thicker...... way, way thicker for war. Even some helmets that are near the same in outward looks can be 2-3 lbs difference. I have seen simple ketle helmets in the 5lb plus range. I have made up a list of sallets with about 20 or so and the weight spread is fairly impressive. They can go from about 2-10 pounds, many hanging around 3.5-5.5lbs. So they did make them thicker in period. How do we know these were not the bargain, better than nothing helmets? Of course you also have so many styles of helmets, many using much less or more coverage weight as a gauge is a bit deceptive. I think cutting through a helmet like shown in some MSs would have been near impossible. You see some guys split head to waist in full armour. Unless it was foil armour I have a hard time seeing it possible. That said I think the 2lbs and lower do run a risk, though I think the weight is too deceptive to know and we'd have to look at thickness involved.

Just because we as weekend warriors feel them a burden on our heads does not mean our ancestors did. This is what they did to stay alive. They got used to wearing warm and somewhat uncomfortable armour (compared to their day to day clothing that is) for this purpose. My guess is that many SCA helmets are too heavy or hover around the higher extreme of historic weights for sure but I am sure many in period grew up with this aspect of life and therefore felt less uncomfortable about its weight. Of course SCA helmets are more or less uniform thickness as their medieval counterparts were not. I am sure many would feel they were dying if we strapped them with the loads soldiers in many armies around the world carry and had to make the distances they do without training. The soldiers would have likely as well. A great deal of carrying any weight comes from practice.

RPM
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A major factor involved in concussive force transferred through a helm(et) is the suspension system. The modern often blue closed cell foam used so widely in the SCA is probably the worst thing that could be used, next to styrofoam. At high impact speeds it acts too much like a solid. I used to wear an old GI pot military liner in mine, which got me in a lot of trouble when I first wore it. I received three good dents in the forehead that I thought I had blocked! They felt light. Whenever I loaned the thing out I had to warn people about counting blows. Later, when I advised people how to construct a more accurate textile suspension system for the helms I made for them, we had the same problem. They had to get used to counting blows they had a hard time feeling.

The tale is told that in the Waffen SS, a recruit would sometimes be told to stand perfectly still while a concussion grenade was put on top of his helmet and set to detonate. It is said that if he stood perfectly still, he came to no harm when it exploded. I haven't been able to verify this, but it does not seem impossible to me.

jamesarlen.com
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if you take a 2 lb helmet and layer it with bubble wrap on the inside to insulate it with air, when the sword sword strikes your head, your head is going to be jolted violently. The concussion does not come from the sword or the helm striking your head, but from your brain hitting the inside of your skull in a sudden start/stop. A suspension rig or even bubble wrap is not going to stop that violent jerking action. Especially if you are being helicoptered with repeated left, right blows. A 2 lb helmet when hit is going to move 12 inches to one side, where it will meet the sword again coming in the opposite direction and be moved 12 inches to the other side like a bat hitting a ball. In those those 12 inch movements the brain acquires acceleration inside your skull and then come to a sudden stop.

With a 7 lb helmet, my head moves 1 to 2 inches to one side and then the opposing blow might move the helmet 1 to 2 inches to the other side. The helmet itself is being moved around a lot less because of its mass. That means less of a start/stop motion for the brain inside the skull. A 10 lb helmet, barely moves when struck at all with a sword.

These examples are all with a sword of course. If you strike a 2 lb helmet with a 6 foot polearm at full power, the person struck may never talk straight again. The polearm will knock the person straight to the ground because you have something with a great deal of momentum hitting something very light. Yet with the a 7 to 10 lb helmets and a half inch of foam, people in the SCA get hit with polearms in the head as a matter of routine training practice at full power.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even if you take a 2 lb helmet and layer it with bubble wrap on the inside to insulate it with air, when the sword sword strikes your head, your head is going to be jolted violently. The concussion does not come from the sword or the helm striking your head, but from your brain hitting the inside of your skull in a sudden start/stop. A suspension rig or even bubble wrap is not going to stop that violent jerking action. Especially if you are being helicoptered with repeated left, right blows. A 2 lb helmet when hit is going to move 12 inches to one side, where it will meet the sword again coming in the opposite direction and be moved 12 inches to the other side like a bat hitting a ball. In those those 12 inch movements the brain acquires acceleration inside your skull and then come to a sudden stop.

Your analysis misses a critical component of the physics - acceleration is velocity over time. If a suspension system spreads the force over a longer time then the accelercation experienced is truly lower.

NASA primarily uses two kinds of propulsion: chemical motors and electric/plasma motors. Both can easily produce the same velocity with the same craft but one crushes a peson against the seat and the other pushes like a feather. The difference is in the acceleration they provide, the chemical rocket reaches it's speed in a short period of time while the electric rocket does so over a much longer time. Same thrust, same energy, same final velocity very different feel.

Military helmet designers have been using suspension systems instead of padding for 1000 years plus. I assume it is for a good reason. The U.S. Military could easily and more cheaply buy helmets with blue closed-cell foam liners. But they don't. I assume it is because the suspension systems have been show to be superior at protecting soldiers.

I built my own fencing mask with a suspension system. On those occasions where I borrow a regular mask I always feel the head hits more. The suspension system really helps.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting through helmets
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: