Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

There's always Frostmourne as well:

http://www.epicweapons.com/products/frostmourne/

:)
Do we get the scabbard with excalibur ?..................:oP

Erm I think possibly Excalibur was originally the sword of Rhydderch ( made or originating in ireland ?) one of the original 13 treasures of Britain which pre date the Arthur myth the original name being Caledfwlch which became Caliburnus in the Monmouth text .

I quite like one theory that Excalibur was passed into Ireland by survivors from the fall of Atlantis, this opens up some interesting options for how it could look and be considered 'historically accurate'.

I think the sword could well be represented by a much earlier type of celtic sword and I really doubt it would be a spatha unless the blade had been re- mounted ?

I'm thinking celtic style fittings/ shape/ dimensions with a freak steel 'Atlantean' blade.

As for my favorite fantasy blade , has to be a toss up between Stormbringer or the Valaryan steel great sword 'ice' from 'A Song of ice and fire' by george RR Martin.

I'd quite like the singing sword from Who Framed Roger Rabbit too ;o)
I guess I may be exhibiting my age but I'm somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned Lady Vivamus from GLORY ROAD, one need only look at the beautiful sword Albion Armourers makes to see that this is a sword that cries out for deeds of derring do!
Definitely a chain sword from 40Kthough....do power claws count? hahaha
I have always been rather partial to Grettir's seax.
Ancient swords found in Troll's hoards from Tolkien or Martin's Valaryan swords are pretty hard to top when it comes
to recent fictional swords of heroes. But I would pick a sword from a book I read years ago and can't even remember
the title though the sword's name has stayed with me, the Bloodwitch.

Doug Gentner
From historical legend: Excalibur, either a more realistic Celt/Spatha hybrid, or a more cinematic Type XIIa

From fantasy literature: Ice, the sword of the Starks, Kings of the North in George RR Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series (if you haven't read any, highly recommended, best medieval fantasy I've ever read)

From science fiction: well, a lightsaber is going to be a perennial favorite of course, but barring that, perhaps a katana or Type XIIa made of a high-tech material better than our steel, with a monomolecular edge, so that it can cut through just about anything material

As for the Stormbringer and the swords of the Eternal Champion, Anglachel/Gurthang, and Soul Edge...why do you guys want these cursed swords? You'll come to a bad end, just like I think every wielder of those swords did....
Princess Nell's nanotech chainsaw edged sword from Neal Stephenson's book Diamond Age. She designs it in code then manufactures it by hacking a vending machine to produce copies of the sword instead of drinks. Or a +5 Holy Avenger.
John Gnaegy wrote:
Or a +5 Holy Avenger.

That would probably get my vote, too, being a fan of paladins. Preferably it would look like something between a historical Type XVIIIc or XXa and the common fantasy depictions of Excalibur. Preferably, too, it would be forged from adamant.

Otherwise, I like the look of Glamdring in Jackson's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings.

I might also mention the magic sword mentioned in the Squire's Tale (l. 156-68) in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales; wounds inflicted by it cannot be healed unless they are touched with the flat of the sword's blade. Another sword from mediaeval romance that I do not think has been mentioned is Morgelay, the sword of the knight Bevis of Hampton, although I do not believe that it has any magical properties, although Bevis does manage to make a huge crack in the earth with it whilst slaying a lion at one point.

I'd also like to own Cloud's buster sword and Sephiroth's Masamune from Final Fantasy VII, not to wield, but to hang on the wall as amusing decorations. :p
Percival Koehl wrote:
John Gnaegy wrote:
Or a +5 Holy Avenger.

That would probably get my vote, too, being a fan of paladins. Preferably it would look like something between a historical Type XVIIIc or XXa and the common fantasy depictions of Excalibur. Preferably, too, it would be forged from adamant.

Otherwise, I like the look of Glamdring in Jackson's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings.

As this is probably the only tome on this forum I will ever be able to correct someone because of greater knowledge (and now I think about it, it is very sad)
You want your Holy Avenger made out of "Andamantite" the metal, not "Adamant" which is diamond or diomond like gem. Holy avengers are more often made from cold iron to more effectively battle devils.

And as to Morgelay, he,hehehehehhehe, he, heh, ehehehehehehhehe, ehehehheheheh. This sword is cool, FIRE FIRE FIRE!
;)
I have to make a vote for the Rider Swords in the Inheritance series (Eragon, Eldest, Brisinger, etc.) Magically indestructible, can cut through anything, and each sword is rumored to have unique abilities.

Excalibur is a classical favorite and lightsabers will always hold a special place in my heart (no pun intended :p ).
I'd like Albion's Transparent Aluminum Sword Mark II. Oh wait, that wasn't a legend...

Balmung would be a great choice, but I'd like Calagbolg better, even though I'm not really into Celtic mythology. It's just a matter of personal choice, but I'd rather kill the number of people that would be the equivalent of three hilltops in one swing if I had to take a sword to battle.

As for fiction, it's hard to beat the Sword of Omens. It doesn't really do much other than turn into a dagger and sword, but you can shout out "Thundercats - Hoooo!!!!"

Maybe you can use Second Sight for seeing what your favorite smith's next project is before it's announced to the public?

I'd probably settle for a lightsaber though... yeah... my toaster's broken.
So what would it be for me....

At first, a set of two katanas: Juuchi Yosamu by Murasama and Yawarakai-Te by Masamune. Legeng says, that Masamune and Murasama tested their skill against each other and created those blades.

The Seven Swords of Wayland: Elidor, Beleth, Flaures, Morax, Solas, Orias and Albion - charged with the powers of light and darkness. I liked the old version of Robin Hood.

Most swords from Tolkien pen are out for me. Too troubled past, too much free will. Excessive amount of ego. Swords with power is one thing, but weapon that is probably older, more experienced and wiser than you are better left on sheat. Preferably locked.

Jon Snow's Longclaw from "Ice and Fire". Rick Barret made a spectacular version of it, but, unfortunately, lacked the reliable source of that magnificent steel.

And, of course, a lightsaber. ;)
For me, I would want the Sword of Nuada, one of the four treasures of the Tuatha De Danann. It is said that no one ever escaped from it once drawn from its sheath, and no one could resist it. Probably one of the main inspirations for Excalibur, eh?

No, but really, I already own an "ultimate" sword: Lughchromain (Little crouching Lugh), forged by Master swordsmith Jake Powning. Hard to beat owning a recreation of a truly historic and heroic sword ;) .
Nat Lamb wrote:
As this is probably the only tome on this forum I will ever be able to correct someone because of greater knowledge (and now I think about it, it is very sad)
You want your Holy Avenger made out of "Andamantite" the metal, not "Adamant" which is diamond or diomond like gem. Holy avengers are more often made from cold iron to more effectively battle devils.

Ah, yes, that is right, although I have generally still called it 'adamant', I suppose out of confusion with some of the weapons and armours mentioned in Milton's Paradise Lost, which are adamantine. I suppose, though, that Milton meant something like a diamond or another 'invincible' substance as denoted in the Greek word ἀδάμας (adamas) for those weapons and armours.

The cold iron is a nice touch and is surely practical, but I always favoured adamant(ite) on account of its hardness and other properties, back in the days when I played D&D, and because I just like diamond personally (it is also my birth stone).

Nat Lamb wrote:
And as to Morgelay, he,hehehehehhehe, he, heh, ehehehehehehhehe, ehehehheheheh. This sword is cool, FIRE FIRE FIRE!

LOL. The Geoffrey-Chaucer-Hath-a-Blogge made a similar joke at one point. :p Poor Sir Bevis: if he only knew who else bore his name... :p
Ed Toton wrote:

That one looks terribly heavy
Gary Melchisky wrote:
As for the Stormbringer and the swords of the Eternal Champion, Anglachel/Gurthang, and Soul Edge...why do you guys want these cursed swords? You'll come to a bad end, just like I think every wielder of those swords did....

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's a matter of being a part of something bigger than can be grokked by normal people. Stormbringer is just one incarnation of the Black Blade. The Eternal Champion goes to parts of the Multiverse where he is needed. It's interesting to imagine having such a clear and distinct purpose, even if it's striving against the gods of Order and Chaos.
Edelizo O. De Lara wrote:
Ed Toton wrote:

That one looks terribly heavy

Yeah, it really does. Which is a pity, because I like the blade itself, sorta a fantasy take on a broad XVIa. I would almost like to see that blade mounted with less OTT furniture.
Percival Koehl wrote:

Quote:
LOL. The Geoffrey-Chaucer-Hath-a-Blogge made a similar joke at one point. :p Poor Sir Bevis: if he only knew who else bore his name... :p

Percival-- not to derail the topic, but I hadn't heard of that Blog until I saw it in your post-- that is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Thanks for that!
call me old-fashioned, but the sword that got me interested in swords was Dyrnwyn, of the Chronicles of Prydain. also, beyond that, I would have to say Anduril, from the Lord of the Rings. not the recent movie version, I might add.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: