Go to page Previous  1, 2

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
I agree with Nathan that polearms seem to be hard to recreate. I handled a few of the CAS Iberia/Hanwei spears and halberds last year, and they were totally off the mark! The halberd felt more like an overgrown axe, and didn't invite to the play that a real halberd does. And the spears... ugh. I own two spears, one a light Viking spear with a head made by my brother, the other with a (now discontiuned) Del Tin head, both with shafts made by me. Polearms are less "romantic" than swords, and I think most collectors of repros add them rather late, after stocking up on the "cooler" weapons. My own collection, which I plan to include an example of each major weapon type from the Middle Ages, is lacking both a halberd and a poleaxe. Another problem is shipping. It isn't easy to ship a 8' weapon, and if the heads are sold separately, many collectors hesitate to make the shafts themselves. So it is a Catch-22 situation of sorts.

Who said pole-arms aren't cool?! :lol:
Russ Ellis wrote:
So I'm curious, where do you guys keep the pole arms you have/are planning to get. I've got enough of a chore finding a place to stash all the swords around here.

I have my "hafted sword" mounted on the wall. Which is more or less a necessity since it's a least 8ft long. Or so I have estimated. It currently occupies the place where my pole-axe just to hang. Guess I have to make some room for that one too. But I'm running out of space. :confused:

And IMHO, all weapons look best when properly displayed on the wall. That way posible visitors knows what they deal is and what's comming if they misbehave. He he. :cool: :p

Cheers,

Attachment: 63.68 KB
sword_coll.jpg
While not pole-arms, this is how my swords are displayed. Will post new pics as soon as a camera shows up around the aparment. =)
All things being equal, and given a big enough and well-equiped shop, I think polearms are a LOT tougher to make these days.

Point: most smiths these days use propane. Swordsmiths -especial makers of western swords- have it easy now. You have a nice long little tunnel that's virtualy ideal for making swords. Now try making a halberd in there. :confused: i built (tried to build) a forge wide enough to accomodate the making of a 9" wide splitting cleaver. The sheer number of BTUs necessary to effectively heat a cavity of that volume is just staggering -and the draw freezes propane tanks in the middle of summer. :evil:

Point: sockets are tougher to forge than tangs. No question about it. Back when everyone used charcoal or coal, it wasn't such a big deal. The heating medium would accomodate the task, and everything had to be done by hand anyway. The use of powerhammers today is a huge boon to swordmakers, but it doesn't do a think for making sockets. \
For the cheapy swords, you'd think the avalability of pipe would help. Doesn't. :\ Pipe makes good pipe -not sockets. You still have to make a taper to fit the blade to the pipe, and by that time you're better off making a real socket anyway.

Point: most of us just don't know how a polearm is supposed to behave. Most of us have neverr held a real antique polearm, we don't know where they're supposed to ballance, we don't know how thick is rediculous -most of us just don't know! There's so much variation in pole weapons that general "rules of thumb" are impossible. We all "know" that a sword ought to have a point of balance somewhere around six inches out. from the cross/ An arming sword with ballance point ten inches out is unnacceptable. We know that. Tell me -how the heck do you ballance a halberd??? How about a holy water sprinkler??? Is 1/4" steel too thick? Do YOU know for certain??? Even for most of us here, probably not. And neither do most people who might otherwise be inclined to make (and pruchase, for that matter) a polearm. :\

That's enough for now. gotta run. :surprised:
David R. Glier wrote:

Point: most of us just don't know how a polearm is supposed to behave. Most of us have neverr held a real antique polearm, we don't know where they're supposed to ballance, we don't know how thick is rediculous -most of us just don't know! There's so much variation in pole weapons that general "rules of thumb" are impossible. We all "know" that a sword ought to have a point of balance somewhere around six inches out. from the cross/ An arming sword with ballance point ten inches out is unnacceptable. We know that. Tell me -how the heck do you ballance a halberd??? How about a holy water sprinkler??? Is 1/4" steel too thick? Do YOU know for certain??? Even for most of us here, probably not. And neither do most people who might otherwise be inclined to make (and pruchase, for that matter) a polearm. :\

That's enough for now. gotta run. :surprised:

I guess the only way to truly become familiar with pole-arm characteristics is to jump at every opportunity to study historical originals. Second to that is to get ahold of really well made reconstructions based on original weapons. Then one might have a chance to perhaps get some idea of how they're supposed to behave.
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Quote:
I have a "hafted sword/staff-sword" made by the esteemed Mr. Peter Johnsson himself. It's a beautiful piece of weaponry. I was thinking that I'd post a description of it and a little of the history and use of the weapon-type along with some pictures as soon as I get ahold of someone with a digital camera. I'm also waiting for an improvement in the weather so I can take her outside and do some drills. But I'd consider that my absolut favorite replica.

I have to add my voice to the appeal for pictures-- altough I guess we'll just have to wait for the camera. Is the hafted sword an historic reproduction? I have to admit I am not too sure what it would look like if it is a European weapon-- I'd love to see it (even if it means a sketch done in Microsoft Paint :) ).

David
David McElrea wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Quote:
I have a "hafted sword/staff-sword" made by the esteemed Mr. Peter Johnsson himself. It's a beautiful piece of weaponry. I was thinking that I'd post a description of it and a little of the history and use of the weapon-type along with some pictures as soon as I get ahold of someone with a digital camera. I'm also waiting for an improvement in the weather so I can take her outside and do some drills. But I'd consider that my absolut favorite replica.

I have to add my voice to the appeal for pictures-- altough I guess we'll just have to wait for the camera. Is the hafted sword an historic reproduction? I have to admit I am not too sure what it would look like if it is a European weapon-- I'd love to see it (even if it means a sketch done in Microsoft Paint :) ).

David

I don't want to give too much away just yet, but Peter studied and based the weapon on historic originals. The hafted sword was a weapon that probably was quite common among the Swedish peasant soldiers during the late 15th/early 16th century.

I was thinking that I'd go visit a friend during the weekend and have him take some pictures of it if the weather permits. If so, I'll have my post up by sunday at the latest.

Regards,

Attachment: 73.02 KB
folk1.gif
This picture, drawn by the German landsknecht Paul Dolnstein who fought against Swedish peasant soldiers around in the early 1500's, show quite nicely what the weapon looks like.
Quote:
I don't want to give too much away just yet, but Peter studied and based the weapon on historic originals. The hafted sword was a weapon that probably was quite common among the Swedish peasant soldiers during the late 15th/early 16th century.

I was thinking that I'd go visit a friend during the weekend and have him take some pictures of it if the weather permits. If so, I'll have my post up by sunday at the latest.

Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment: 73.02 KB, Viewed: 23 time(s)

This picture, drawn by the German landsknecht Paul Dolnstein who fought against Swedish peasant soldiers around in the early 1500's, show quite nicely what the weapon looks like.

Thanks very much Joachim,

I look forward to seeing the photos when you get them. It would be great to get a review or article on these weapons as well. Congrats on getting such a unique PJ recreation!

David
David McElrea wrote:
Quote:

Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment: 73.02 KB, Viewed: 23 time(s)

Thanks very much Joachim,

I look forward to seeing the photos when you get them. It would be great to get a review or article on these weapons as well. Congrats on getting such a unique PJ recreation!

David

Thanks! :D It's actually now one of my absolute favorites in my collection. :D
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
So I'm curious, where do you guys keep the pole arms you have/are planning to get. I've got enough of a chore finding a place to stash all the swords around here.

I have my "hafted sword" mounted on the wall. Which is more or less a necessity since it's a least 8ft long. Or so I have estimated. It currently occupies the place where my pole-axe just to hang. Guess I have to make some room for that one too. But I'm running out of space. :confused:

And IMHO, all weapons look best when properly displayed on the wall. That way posible visitors knows what they deal is and what's comming if they misbehave. He he. :cool: :p

Cheers,

Wow! what a beast. a very pretty one at that :D

I need to get one of them big dopplehanders someday :cool:
Gary Grzybek wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Cheers,

Wow! what a beast. a very pretty one at that :D

I need to get one of them big dopplehanders someday :cool:

Yeah, she's a beast alright. :D A 6ft beast none the less. I definately have to take her out for some more floryshing pretty soon. :p The big renaissance twohanders have a very special appeal, don't they? It'll be interesting to see if Albion decides to go through with the plans for a possible twohander in the NextGen-line.
My post on the "hafted sword/staffsword is now online. It can be viewed here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1248
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: