Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another 'Helmes' Sword in the Works Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 May, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Anything on the reverse?

Yes, "scrolls and folliage". Stay tuned, there's more to come.
Josh Wilson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 17 May, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweet! can't wait to see more pics.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here we have the written inlay underway, with some partial cutting of the letters and a test fill of one letter. Also Jeff's design for the the opposite side of the sword. Apparently the rest will be done shortly.

Attachment: 143.85 KB
P5220371m.JPG

Attachment: 108.03 KB
P5220381m.JPG

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! Talk about uping the bar! I'm really impressed! This looks like it is gonna be a hell of a sword, Doug! That inlay is wicked cool! Great job again, Jeff!
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff and I were just talking about this earlier. Its gonna be epic once its done...

I'm almost as excited about this sword as you are!. Its really grown on me the more I've looked at it.

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, its a great pleasure to share the buyer's experience with you. I like to get input from other people and hold back most of my praise for some kind of review at the end. Needless to say, I will be compulsively checking my e-mails again tonight for further updates, so stay tuned for more of Jeff's work.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two pictures with the inlay peened in, followed by a picture with the excess removed.

Next step: the opposite side. But maybe not Jeff's original design, he wants something better!

Attachment: 123.72 KB
P5230385m.JPG

Attachment: 125.31 KB
P5230386m.JPG

Attachment: 123.59 KB
P5230387m.JPG

Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The inlay is beautiful! I am really enjoying watching this beautiful sword come to life.
Josh Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
The inlay is beautiful! I am really enjoying watching this beautiful sword come to life.

Most deffinitely!

What does the inscription mean?
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Wilson wrote:
[What does the inscription mean?

Wish I knew! This was as far as I got the other day, but so far no comments from anyone better informed:

J.D. Crawford wrote:
So it goes. In the mean time, I wonder about the meaning of the inscription: + NEDEHER EWEDENI + +

This does not appear to be Latin or any easily recognizeable religeous invocation. I did a bit of research and came to these partially-formed ideas:

NEDEHER
- could be an acronym
- the semi-repetitive NE DE RE is reminiscent of some repetitive medieval sword inscriptions like ANTANT or TOTO
- similar to German NEHER (middle) or Jewish NEDER (sort of a religious vow).
- a google search reveals several current latin surnames with this spelling so it could be a proper name

EWEDENI
- sounds to me like a proper name, something like Edwin
- similar to Nigernian proper name Ewedemi
- contains most letters of 'Sweden', but seems unlikely that S would be missing.
- similar to a Czech word for seduction (again seems rather unlikely).

Either could be a mis-spelling like on older swords, although one might think 14th century artisans to be more literate

If anyone has insights into this phrase, I would be very interested to hear about it.

-JD
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know J.D.,

I don't think we know what many of the inlay on medieval swords meant. There are examples which are clear of course but there are so many that just seem to be an incomprehensable series of letters which is lost to time.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Josh Wilson wrote:
[What does the inscription mean?

Wish I knew! This was as far as I got the other day, but so far no comments from anyone better informed:

J.D. Crawford wrote:
So it goes. In the mean time, I wonder about the meaning of the inscription: + NEDEHER EWEDENI + +

This does not appear to be Latin or any easily recognizeable religeous invocation. I did a bit of research and came to these partially-formed ideas:

NEDEHER
- could be an acronym
- the semi-repetitive NE DE RE is reminiscent of some repetitive medieval sword inscriptions like ANTANT or TOTO
- similar to German NEHER (middle) or Jewish NEDER (sort of a religious vow).
- a google search reveals several current latin surnames with this spelling so it could be a proper name

EWEDENI
- sounds to me like a proper name, something like Edwin
- similar to Nigernian proper name Ewedemi
- contains most letters of 'Sweden', but seems unlikely that S would be missing.
- similar to a Czech word for seduction (again seems rather unlikely).

Either could be a mis-spelling like on older swords, although one might think 14th century artisans to be more literate

If anyone has insights into this phrase, I would be very interested to hear about it.

-JD

I'm certainly not "better informed"... But my gut instinct is that its a name. Perhaps a medieval smithy's brand name. Its just too long to be an acronym and it isn't a religious saying (atleast not one in anything resembling Latin or German). Just my SWAG...

Tim Lison

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword looks great! I am loving the inlay. JD, you are making me want to spend money! I know how Russia and the US must have felt in the 50s...
Antonio Ganarini

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a wonderful sword!! Really really wonderful!
Thanks for sharing this project!

Ciao a tutti!
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
This sword looks great! I am loving the inlay. JD, you are making me want to spend money! I know how Russia and the US must have felt in the 50s...

Heh, heh, you kill me Holmes. Happy Finally you've stumbled on my Reganesque plot - to bankrupt you and ultimately buy up your collection at cut rate prices. Or it could just be that you've done most of the best 10-11th century swords and I can't keep up with your output, so I'm left searching for interesting and overlooked nuggets of gold in the next two centuries. Which works out quite well because I've been on a crusading era kick with my readings the last few years.
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Or it could just be that you've done most of the best 10-11th century swords and I can't keep up with your output, so I'm left searching for interesting and overlooked nuggets of gold in the next two centuries..
Horse pucky! Not to knocke Tim's collection, which is amazing,, but I literally find a new sword almost every day from that period that I want to do. While I was looking around for the project I wanted to do, I ran across tons of great swords from the 10th-12th that needed doing. I've already discussed with Jeff a handful of projects that I want to do in the future. Course I won't be able to do them at the pace you two do, but I definitely already have a list of projects from the 10th-12th

You just gotta stay out of Records and SotVA. There are a many good ones in those two, but like you said that is well trod ground. There are plenty of great swords elsewhere that don't have nearly as much exposure. Like for my project, we're pulling mostly from scholarly articles and metallurgical studies on the spread and variations of VLFBERHTs.

I could post atleast 5 awesome 10th-12 C swords right now off the top of my head, but I won't cause I'm keeping them for myself. Wink

J Helmes
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Folks. First I want to thank everyone for their encouraging posts. Your input has been a big help to me. I don't post often but I follow the thread daily.

I have a question. The inlay on the back of the original blade is not particularly appealing to me. I don't think it is as strong as the work on the front. I would like to inlay the reverse side on the blade along the same lines as the original but with images that I find more pleasing. I have asked Doug about this and he is fine with the change. I am wondering if any of you have some pictures of blade inlay that would be suitable. I have a copy of Records of the Medieval Sword.

I look forward to your feedback

Jeff
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Helmes wrote:
Hello Folks. First I want to thank everyone for their encouraging posts. Your input has been a big help to me. I don't post often but I follow the thread daily.

I have a question. The inlay on the back of the original blade is not particularly appealing to me. I don't think it is as strong as the work on the front. I would like to inlay the reverse side on the blade along the same lines as the original but with images that I find more pleasing. I have asked Doug about this and he is fine with the change. I am wondering if any of you have some pictures of blade inlay that would be suitable. I have a copy of Records of the Medieval Sword.

I look forward to your feedback

Jeff

I would think that the famous sword which Albions Vigil is based off of would be contemporary with this sword. The inlay on that sword is in latten and the script of the front we always see is similar to this example.

Anyone know what's on the other side of that sword? I know that Peter has personally handled it.
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a decent pic of the reverse of the sword which the Vigil is based on... Something graphic like this would work nicely. There are some other great examples I can think of but I don't have time to search for them at the moment. I may have to scan a few pics from books too... I'll post some ideas later tonight JD!

Attachment: 21.37 KB
10.jpg

J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Here's a decent pic of the reverse of the sword which the Vigil is based on... Something graphic like this would work nicely. There are some other great examples I can think of but I don't have time to search for them at the moment. I may have to scan a few pics from books too... I'll post some ideas later tonight JD!

I thought of that one too, but using these particular images might conflict with another one of my nefarious plans (which might be giving something away). I think Jeff is looking for something similar to the original sword,but more elaborate:

Picture of original here: http://moteur.musenor.com/images/saintomer/g2018742_4.jpg

-JD

PS, Robin, if you wish to go head-to-head with Tim in the 10-11th century, be my guest. He is a tough guy to keep up with. Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another 'Helmes' Sword in the Works
Page 3 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: