viking type K ?
Would the pommels of viking type K hilts have been typically solid, or two part, or a mix of both types?
Re: viking type K ?
Geoff Wood wrote:
Would the pommels of viking type K hilts have been typically solid, or two part, or a mix of both types?

IŽd say that type typically has a solid upper guard and pommel. As a rule it is a two part construction. There are variations, though. As in most cases when it comes to viking hilts...
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote:

IŽd say that type typically has a solid upper guard and pommel. As a rule it is a two part construction. There are variations, though. As in most cases when it comes to viking hilts...

Mr Johnsson
Thanks for answering so quickly. I think I used the incorrect terms in my question. By solid I meant all one piece, as against two pieces rivetted together, but I should have been more clear.
I'll try again.
Would the majority have been constructed with the tang peened over the upper guard, with a separate pommel covering the peened end, or would the two parts you mentioned (upper guard and pommel?) be held together by the tang being peened over the pommel, or would one of the variations be a 'one piece' upper guard and pommel?
Geoff
Geoff Wood wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:
Geoff Wood wrote:

Mr Johnsson
Thanks for answering so quickly. I think I used the incorrect terms in my question. By solid I meant all one piece, as against two pieces rivetted together, but I should have been more clear.
I'll try again.
Would the majority have been constructed with the tang peened over the upper guard, with a separate pommel covering the peened end, or would the two parts you mentioned (upper guard and pommel?) be held together by the tang being peened over the pommel, or would one of the variations be a 'one piece' upper guard and pommel?
Geoff

On this type I would not be so sure what was most common, as I have not seen many of these. They are not so common in the swedish material. Type H and I,S & R are by far most common. Type H seems by far to be the dominant type.
I suspect, regarding type K, that the tang is usually riveted to the upper guard, with the pomel used as a cap on top of it. I have seen cases of other hilt types normally having hidden tang rivets using a visible rivet on top of the pommel, so it might be a feasible variation of type K as well.

The upper guard and the pommel are as a rule two separate parts held together with some form of riveting (apart from the tang sometimes passing through both). In some cases there are two rivets fixed to the inside/underside of the pommel and peened over on the grip side of the upper guard, in other cases where the pommel is very hollow there is a loop or arch rising from the upper guard inside the hollow. From the out side it looks just like the ends of the usual rivets, only with the variation that they form the ends of a semicircular bent rod. The pommel would be affixed to this by some sort of resin (viking age epoxy...)
Sometimes you find hilts with one piece pommel/upper guards, but this is not the norm.

Two part construction is benficial in those cases where the volumes are dramatic and shapes very "pregnant". It is also necessary in those cases when the pommel needs to be made hollow. I tend to prefer to have the rivet fixed on the top of the pommel even though this was not the most common solution. That will most probably the normal construction method on most viking swords produced by Albion, I would think.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: