Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Recieved my Armourclass Cup & Ring baskethilt today. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Recieved my Armourclass Cup & Ring baskethilt today.         Reply with quote

Alas, no pictures. I had to pick up the car from the shop after work, unpacked the sword, had dinner, shower and a shave, a quick forum run, then some coffee and then to bed, early start tomorrow. Big Grin

However, I did ofcourse took some time to get to know the teastrainer. This is my first baskethilt, and I have a Eljay hilt on order, but I've really been bitten by the basket-bug.

Some quick comments. As expected, the basket is slightly larger then the average original baskethilt, but I knew this before buying. Armourclass is geared toward re-enactment, and I've been told that since a lot of people in re-enactment wear gloves as a protection, the hilts are larger then average. If this is really the reason, I do not know. However, it doesn't really bother me, since it doesn't make the sword cumbersome or difficult to handle.
In fact, the sword handles very nice. I was expecting a lot more heft to it, but after a bit of dry-handling, I found the sword to be very pleasent in the hand. I've not yet had the change to cut with it, and probably won't have a change for at least a week, I'm looking forward to cutting a few bottles.

The blade is a bit more 'wobbly' then I'm used to. But again, I was told this is normal for Armourclass blades, and some people have claimed it makes cutting a bit easier. Again, since I haven't cut with it yet, I couldn't tell.

I opted for a satin finish on the basket, which is easier to maintain, and I just don't care for mirror polished fittings. Happy I also opted a for a leather liner, as can be seen in the picture on this page, lower left corner: http://www.armourclass.com/Data/Pages/Scottish_5.htm

Further pictures, and very nice and extensive review by Chad Arnow can be found here.

I hope to post some pictures and a better review after the weekend, time permitting.

As a quick note, I'd really like to thank Chad Arnow for helping me decide on what Armourclass sword to buy, his thoughts and input on the Cup And Ring hilt really helped. Thanks Chad. Happy
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats to you Thomas on your new aquitition. I'm sure you'll be quite chuffed with the Armour Class piece. (I do love mine)
And do post pics when your able.

Cheers,
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Thomas !

I do believe that basket-hilt is my favorite one, given AC's current catalogue choices !

Did you get it with a half-liner, or a full one ?

Enjoy 'er, laddie ! Cheers, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Thomas!

I owned one of AC's baskethilts for awhile. I think they're the best production swords of that kind.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Congratulations, Thomas !

I do believe that basket-hilt is my favorite one, given AC's current catalogue choices !

Did you get it with a half-liner, or a full one ?

Enjoy 'er, laddie ! Cheers, Mac

I got this liner:

I prefer this style over the full liner myself, though some hilts do look very classy with a full red liner.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill: I really do like it very much. Quite attractive, for a affordable price. Armourclass has great service too, which is something that I always look for when I'm 'swordshopping'.

Patrick: Something inside me is really telling me to get a MRL or Hanwei baskethilt to compare it with, and then be able to compare those two to a Eljay Proto-Mortuary hilt coming somewhere in november probably. However, it probably wouldn't be a fair comparison.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Thomas!
I have an AC early basket hilt and I'm very pleased with it. But mine is fitted with a reenactment backsword blade, so I have no cutting experience. It's far better balanced than the Paul Chen/Hanwei backsword!

I am thinking of aquiring another basket hilt from AC with a sharp broadsword blade, but it takes time to make the money Sad

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Recieved my Armourclass Cup & Ring baskethilt today.         Reply with quote

Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
As a quick note, I'd really like to thank Chad Arnow for helping me decide on what Armourclass sword to buy, his thoughts and input on the Cup And Ring hilt really helped. Thanks Chad. Happy

Thomas,
I'm glad I was able to help, and I'm glad you like your new sword. Happy As for the basket size, it's much smaller than MRL and the early Hanwei's and I'm inclined to think it's within the realm of historical possibility. Having seen one of Vince's historically-accurate baskets up close, the AC is a tad larger, but not ridiculously so. I would also think that many warriors of old would have worn gloves, too. That rayskin/sharkskin can be abrasive! Happy

How many fullers are in your blade? Mine has 2, but I've seen swords with 3 on AC's site.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 30 Sep, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Thomas. I look forward to some pictures of your new 'precious'.
Thomas Hoogendam

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Recieved my Armourclass Cup & Ring baskethilt today.         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:

Thomas,
I'm glad I was able to help, and I'm glad you like your new sword. Happy As for the basket size, it's much smaller than MRL and the early Hanwei's and I'm inclined to think it's within the realm of historical possibility. Having seen one of Vince's historically-accurate baskets up close, the AC is a tad larger, but not ridiculously so. I would also think that many warriors of old would have worn gloves, too. That rayskin/sharkskin can be abrasive! Happy

How many fullers are in your blade? Mine has 2, but I've seen swords with 3 on AC's site.

Hey Chad.
I agree that the size of the AC hilt isn't to large. If one was to take an average of basketsizes, the AC would be larger then average, but I'm also sure that the size itself is within histotical parameters.
Mine has 2 fullers.
When I read an article in one of SFI's old magazines regarding this exact hilt, it also had 3 fullers, but I believe that article is 5 or 6 years old by now. My guess is, that the photo's on AC's site are just old photo's, and that in the mean time the blades have been redesigned with 2 fullers.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Recieved my Armourclass Cup & Ring baskethilt today.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic