Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Wavy" blades on Lutel two-handers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other reason why I'm not totally sold on the idea of the waviness aiding draw cuts is because people keep bringing the rapier into it. There's this "common sense" knowledge that draw cuts were commonly used with rapier fencing... yet I don't know of one single source ever advising it. Every single text I've ever read on rapier combat shows outright strikes, or thrusts, but not draw cuts. If not a single fencing manual ever so much as mentions this (despite being very detailed in other forms of attack and defense), why would a person desire a blade specifically designed for this ability?

Even if we were to accept that, yes, such a blade would aid in draw cuts the way a bread knife does (and I'm trusting Jean's word on that... I've never seen a bread knife with quite the same edge geometry, even the scalloped bread knives), you still would not make a draw cut in the same manner that you do when slicing bread, where you press hard against it and move forward and backward. Any type of slice, such as often described in the Liechtenauer system against the bare hands, is a quick movement to cause enough pain and damage so that you can follow through with more deadly techniques. I can't imagine the difference between a straight edge and a wavy edge being so dissimilar as to really make a noticable effect.

Now, if someone told me that people in period believed this, whether it's true or not, then I can definately accept that.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
The other reason why I'm not totally sold on the idea of the waviness aiding draw cuts is because people keep bringing the rapier into it. There's this "common sense" knowledge that draw cuts were commonly used with rapier fencing... yet I don't know of one single source ever advising it. Every single text I've ever read on rapier combat shows outright strikes, or thrusts, but not draw cuts. If not a single fencing manual ever so much as mentions this (despite being very detailed in other forms of attack and defense), why would a person desire a blade specifically designed for this ability?

Even if we were to accept that, yes, such a blade would aid in draw cuts the way a bread knife does (and I'm trusting Jean's word on that... I've never seen a bread knife with quite the same edge geometry, even the scalloped bread knives), you still would not make a draw cut in the same manner that you do when slicing bread, where you press hard against it and move forward and backward. Any type of slice, such as often described in the Liechtenauer system against the bare hands, is a quick movement to cause enough pain and damage so that you can follow through with more deadly techniques. I can't imagine the difference between a straight edge and a wavy edge being so dissimilar as to really make a noticable effect.

Now, if someone told me that people in period believed this, whether it's true or not, then I can definately accept that.

Well it's really something we can't know for sure until someone tests it. But with regard to the rapier, while I'm not certain if slicing is or isn't reccomended by any rapier experts (I have a colleauge who is much more knowlegable about rapiers so I'll ask him) but consider this, what about as a countermeasure to the opponent seizing the rapier with their hand? I would guess that if you pulled a serrated weapon out of someones hand who was attempting to sieze it, you could badly cut them and retrieve your weapon in the process.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

Well it's really something we can't know for sure until someone tests it. But with regard to the rapier, while I'm not certain if slicing is or isn't reccomended by any rapier experts (I have a colleauge who is much more knowlegable about rapiers so I'll ask him) but consider this, what about as a countermeasure to the opponent seizing the rapier with their hand? I would guess that if you pulled a serrated weapon out of someones hand who was attempting to sieze it, you could badly cut them and retrieve your weapon in the process.

Jean

But that can be said of any bladed weapon. In fact, I would argue that you could get a tighter grip around a wavy blade than straight one since there is more surface area for your fingers, thereby making it possibly easier to grasp. But I'll be the first to admit that I'm not using my own hand for that test. Happy (And note that I say "wavy" blade, not "serrated" blade, because I do think there's a significant difference in the edge design between the two.)

Besides which, period masters said not to grab the blade or else you'll get injured. Salvatore Fabris in particular spring to mind as a master who pointed this out, and even makes a point to say that hand parries (which are so common in modern rapier fencing) should be used judiciously because of this (as well as other reasons that aren't applicable to this discussion). If he feels a straight edged blade is a deterrent against grabbing a blade, it doesn't seem that a wavy one would be leaps and bounds better.

*shrug* I should point out again, though, that I'm not totally against the draw cut idea. I just don't see a lot of evidence that makes me believe it was a primary intention.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

*shrug* I should point out again, though, that I'm not totally against the draw cut idea. I just don't see a lot of evidence that makes me believe it was a primary intention.

If it existed we wouldn't be having this discussion would we?

Hopefully somebody will do a test with some originals, or even with replicas (though I understand modern swordsmiths have not really been able to accurately replicate the scalloped blade shapes yet)

Until then, we are really just speculating, I freely admit. This is just the most logical explanation I can see for this currently.

J

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it existed we wouldn't be having this discussion would we?

Happy

Quote:
Hopefully somebody will do a test with some originals, or even with replicas (though I understand modern swordsmiths have not really been able to accurately replicate the scalloped blade shapes yet)

Agreed!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a thought...

One of the reasons that Indonesian Kers (also a thrusting weapon) have a wavy blade is to have a wider blade without extra weight.

This in turn leads to a larger wound channel which in turn means that the target bleeds out faster...

Just a thought...
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With small blades like tactical folders a recurve blade is thought in general to be very aggressive cutters as they seem to bite into a draw cut. A long blade is like a succession of curved and recurved small blades one after the other and might " bite "
or tend to bite more on a draw cut than a strait edge.

True serrations are a different thing at a much smaller scale but do seem to cut well even when relatively dull.

For the big twohanders the curved blade's cutting power compared to a strait edge is probably negligible and with a rapier
a draw cut seems to not have been used or taught as something one would use or try to use as a prime, secondary or even as a distant third choice when something more effective would take priority. ( I base this on what Bill said about the absence of draw cutting being taught as an important technique but still being used if the opportunity presents itself ).

To touch on some very much earlier posts: Against pikes, cutting the heads off, even if possible, is not needed with the twohanded sword can be used to push away the pikes out of line or tangle them up. Maybe see it as the forte of the sword against the foible of the pike heads ? The leverage advantage etc .... Also in a tight formation the twohanders could still be used vertically and used in thrust like a polearm.

I think all of this was brought up in the early posts of this Topic thread but people jump in sometimes without reading all the previous posts ! So, I'm sort of deliberately repeating stuff I must have written very early on or others may have mentioned. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Attached are some pictures of flamberge-bladed weapons.

The first is the basket-hilt. It's from the 1995 Peter Finer catalogue. There is no full-length picture.

The last picture is three rapiers with fairly differently shaped blades.

Attachment: 48.67 KB
WavyBasket.jpg

Attachment: 76.93 KB
WavyBasket2.jpg

Attachment: 28.47 KB
WavyRapiers.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The issue of two handed swords and pikes is a recurring one.

I am not aware of any primary source evidence that there was ever a policy of deliberately placing rows or groups of men with two handed swords in the way of a pike block to cut the heads off of pikes. If someone knows of such a source, I would appreciate seeing it.

There are sources that talk about the use of two handed swords, and while at least one does mention that a big sword can be used to cut off the head of a pike, others (Di Grassi, and the Portuguese Montante work presented at the last WMA meeting in Dallas by Steve Hick) don't mention this usage; both of these do discuss the roles of two-hander swordsmen, but do not mention cutting holes into pike blocks. The Portuguese treatise does describe what to do when facing a man with a polearm, and cutting off the head of his weapon doesn't come into play.

Illustrations of single men with two handers at the front of pike columns do exist, but as far as I can tell, they are individual leaders, not detachments with a special role. If there are period pictures of a whole line of two-handers facing an oncoming pike block, it would be good to see it.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another odd one. The sword has a Zweihander-style hilt, but with a curved flamberge blade. It's from the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Attachment: 28.44 KB
Flamberge Saber.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Chad, nice find! That thing is crazy! I want one.

Now that one, to me, supports the idea of draw cuts, particularly because it is only scalloped on the edges, and not on the spine.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Wow, Chad, nice find! That thing is crazy! I want one.

Now that one, to me, supports the idea of draw cuts, particularly because it is only scalloped on the edges, and not on the spine.

It has waves on the false edge, too. Weird...

Happy

ChadA

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking closer at the image, it appears to not have the waves near the point... interesting...
HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Giuseppe Maresca

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really impressive... I too noticed that near the point the waves get smaller until they disappear. It's a weird one.
Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fiori...
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps it is worth noting that the wavy edge is popular during a period when clothing was rather voluminous.
Perhaps the wavy edge has an advatage in cutting cloth?
This might also make sense for blades meant for civilian use, as it would have to deal with layers of cloth in folds and thick arrangements.

This is pure speculation, mind you.
I have thought to do some cutting experiments with wavy edges on layers of cloth to see if it actually makes a difference. Have not had opportunity to do so yet, however.
A wavy blade is on the list of things to do...

Personally I think wavy edges are mainly a thing of fashion, but might also provide some kind of functional bonus in certain situations.
We should not forget another factor: it is during this period that blade grinders start to get a kind of fame of their own. It might be good for business to be able to provide striking products on a competitive market.
The wavy outline is very seldom forged. I have seen one blade where the shape was forged (a Stantler two hander dated to 1615 keptin the Schweizerischen Landesmuseum). The waves on this one are slow and evenly undulating.

The typical case is a blade of hexagonal or diamond cross section that has rounded "teeth" ground away alternately from each side.

Just some rambling thoughts.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Perhaps we should call them pinking swords?
Geoff
William J Welch

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have wondered if the wavy edge are not meant to be force multipliers. The forward edges would dig in before the rear edges there by forcing the materials apart, and deeper into the cutting surface of the wave.

I have never seen this idea given and it just seems obvious to me, after looking at some of the sword pics. Big Grin

William J Welch

Brotherhood of St Luke.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Here's another odd one. The sword has a Zweihander-style hilt, but with a curved flamberge blade. It's from the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, Russia.

A truly strange and beautiful weapon. The pommel is interesting too. It looks quite functional unlike some zweihanders I've seen, the guards and hilt furniture though ornate look sturdy, at least from this one image. Is there a date on this sword or any other context as to it's origin?

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Perhaps it is worth noting that the wavy edge is popular during a period when clothing was rather voluminous.
This might also make sense for blades meant for civilian use, as it would have to deal with layers of cloth in folds and thick arrangements.

This is pure speculation, mind you.
I have thought to do some cutting experiments with wavy edges on layers of cloth to see if it actually makes a difference. Have not had opportunity to do so yet, however.
A wavy blade is on the list of things to do...

Personally I think wavy edges are mainly a thing of fashion, but might also provide some kind of functional bonus in certain situations.
We should not forget another factor: it is during this period that blade grinders start to get a kind of fame of their own. It might be good for business to be able to provide striking products on a competitive market.
The wavy outline is very seldom forged. I have seen one blade where the shape was forged (a Stantler two hander dated to 1615 keptin the Schweizerischen Landesmuseum). The waves on this one are slow and evenly undulating.

The typical case is a blade of hexagonal or diamond cross section that has rounded "teeth" ground away alternately from each side.

Just some rambling thoughts.

Very interesting Mr. Johnson, thanks for chiming in... do I understand correctly that you do not have access to any wave bladed antiques that you could test cut with soft medium? I know it is a long shot. Failing that I guess we'll have to wait until you can perhaps fashion a replica. You are probably one of the best candidates to create a realistic example which could be tested. Maybe that beautiful Russian sword diserves to be imitated?

Have you found in your research that there are a large number of wave bladed "true" two-hand greatswords compared to the the conventional type? Any regional variation?

Jean

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A truly strange and beautiful weapon. The pommel is interesting too. It looks quite functional unlike some zweihanders I've seen, the guards and hilt furniture though ornate look sturdy, at least from this one image. Is there a date on this sword or any other context as to it's origin?

J

Nope. The book I scanned that from is an overview of the whole museum. They talked about the arms and armour displays generally for all of a few paragraphs and only show 3 or 4 pics. The picture's caption doesn't help either in this case.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Wavy" blades on Lutel two-handers?
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: