Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Anonymous, Daniel Sullivan, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ATrim sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: ATrim sword         Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting an ATrim. I have an Albion Constable which I absolutely love, and i was thinking of getting something a bit larger, but hopefully still resonably nimble. I have of course heard very good things about Angus Trim's swords, so I was looking at a couple of those for my next purchase. (Not to mention I don't quite have the budget for another Albion yet- and none of the Squire line swords are really what I'm looking for right now)

I was looking at the following:

AT 1415
AT 1520
AT 1561
AT 1562

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on which of these might be better. I'm looking for a sword larger than my 43" Constable, which cuts as well or better than my Constable does and (I understand the ATrims do cut very well) but also has a relatively lively feel to it (like my Constable Happy or as close to it as is reasonable for a larger sword)

I'd be using it for test-cutting (probably mainly soft targets but the occasional harder target as well) and HEMA solo drills.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a newby when it comes to collecting, I only own 3 swords only really one worthy of the name.

Or should I just get an MRL 15th Century Longsword? Those look pretty good for the money...

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you really want a user sword and don't care about historical aethetics spend the extra cash and go for the ATrim.

I've never handled the MRL longsword so I can't comment on it.

I don't believe that I've ever handled the 1415 but I can tell you that between the 1520, 1561, 1562, the 1561 is my favorite. Just connected with it.

They should all be nimble enough for you. It's been awhile since I've handled any of them but the 1562 is the most nimble of the bunch while the 1520 has the most blade presence.

While none of these swords handle anything like the Constable, based upon your criteria I would go with the 1520.

Here's a review of that sword ttp://www.myArmoury.com/review_cf_at1520.html
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 15th century longsword from Windlass is no match with Atrim's handling characteristic. I use the mentioned sword as a teaching tools and it's good telling the students when the blade alignment is off, because the blade was quite whippy and if swung with the wrong blade alignment, vibration could be felt. :P

I've a review written for the sword here: http://www.rsw.com.hk/5-swords.htm

You may take a look and decide if it is good for you. However, if you already have the cash for Atrim, then I would suggest going for Atrim would not make you regret.

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ATrim sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic