Question about a helmet liner
I recently found a picture of a helmet liner (below) and I want to know if there are particular historical examples of it? It looks like it makes a lot of sense and I want to make one for my helmet.

Thanks.

Attachment: 36.5 KB
Armet Exploded Smaller.jpg

Re: Question about a helmet liner
Steven H wrote:
I recently found a picture of a helmet liner (below) and I want to know if there are particular historical examples of it? It looks like it makes a lot of sense and I want to make one for my helmet.

Thanks.

Looks like a lot of liners that Ive seen in effergies and sculptures....some quite earlier than this Armet. but I dont think that the liners changed styles the same as the helmets themselves....at least not unless you start deviating to a Frogmouth jousting helm. etc. Also, like many other period items, various places and countries had their favourite local way of doing things. But its always been a trade-off.....the more you pad around the side of the head, the more you impede hearing........ so you cant hear someone yell ..."look out !"... which is why you need lots of padding ! ...catch 22 :eek:
I don't know when such liners started to show up, I've always seen arming caps and the like for older helms.
Can anyone shead some light on this for me?
I know the 15th century helms or war hats came with this kind of liner but I don't know how far back it goes.
I think the bascinet might be one of the earlier helmets with integral liner. Before with helms they seem to have arming caps that go under. I assume there is some overlap. Sallet seem to have a much more utilitarian looking one from the few remaining I have seen, somewhat like the plastic lining of a hard hat but padded and of leather and linen. By the 14th for sure you could use a liner like that.

RPM
Do you have full picture of this armet?There is one more thing except lining that I am interested in..
The picture is on page 27 of Christopher Gravett's The World of the Medieval Knight if anyone ahs the book.
Unfortunately I don't have that book :(

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: