Go to page Previous  1, 2

Here's a Cinquedea and scabbard from the Royal Armouries.

Attachment: 29.89 KB
Cinq1.jpg

Here are some scans from Armi Bianche:

Attachment: 61.79 KB
cinq2.jpg
Dagger-length cinquedea scabbard

Attachment: 24.83 KB
cinq3.jpg
Full-sized cinquedea

Attachment: 64.41 KB
cinq4.jpg
Back of the previous scabbard, showing where a cord or thong was threaded through for suspension.

Attachment: 35.31 KB
cinq5.jpg
Front and back of another scabbard, showing a similar method of suspension from a belt.
Fantastic photos, Chad! The tooling on those sheaths is awesome.

I think I may need to pick up a copy of Armi Blanche at some point.
Bill Grandy wrote:
Fantastic photos, Chad! The tooling on those sheaths is awesome.

I think I may need to pick up a copy of Armi Blanche at some point.

They're pretty cool aren't they? Armi Bianche is an amazing book. Good luck finding a copy. It's rare and usually $500 or more... But it's packed with tons of great photos.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Good luck finding a copy. It's rare and usually $500 or more...

Yeah, that's what's prevented me from getting it before. So far, anyway.
Thanks, Chad. Those are really nice and the scabbard pics may be really helpful to Triton and myself in coming up witha scabbard and suspension for my Cinquedea.
Cinquedeas
Greetings!

I'm new to the forums, and I stumbled across this thread yesterday. Hugh, that Tinker Cinquedea is just gorgeous! I am a big fan of these little swords, too, although I have nothing to compare to yours. Chad, thanks for the pics of the sheaths: I've been wondering how these little guys were suspended from a belt for a long time. I wear my old Del Tin model suspended from leather thongs, but I wear mine from the side like a short arming sword (when at events).

BTW, and please don't laugh, but does anyone know exactly how "Cinquedea" is pronounced? I have heard several people swear their pronunciation is the correct one, but I have yet to be able to find it defined in any of the (scant) literature I have on the subject. Is it SIN-kwuh-de-uh, sin-KWEH-dee-uh, SINK-a-DEE-a, or something else?

P.S. I really love this site! Keep up the great work! :)
Re: Cinquedeas
Christopher Gregg wrote:
Greetings!

I'm new to the forums, and I stumbled across this thread yesterday. Hugh, that Tinker Cinquedea is just gorgeous! I am a big fan of these little swords, too, although I have nothing to compare to yours. Chad, thanks for the pics of the sheaths: I've been wondering how these little guys were suspended from a belt for a long time. I wear my old Del Tin model suspended from leather thongs, but I wear mine from the side like a short arming sword (when at events).

BTW, and please don't laugh, but does anyone know exactly how "Cinquedea" is pronounced? I have heard several people swear their pronunciation is the correct one, but I have yet to be able to find it defined in any of the (scant) literature I have on the subject. Is it SIN-kwuh-de-uh, sin-KWEH-dee-uh, SINK-a-DEE-a, or something else?

P.S. I really love this site! Keep up the great work! :)

No problem. :)

Regarding pronunciation, I think the first step is getting the "C" right. According to what I've heard and read (http://www.askoxford.com/languages/it/toi_italian/pronunciation/), the "C" in this case gets a "ch" sound like in "ciao" (pronounced roughly "chow").

According to Dictionary.com, the whole word is pronounced "ching-kwi-dee-uh, -dey-uh."
Re: Cinquedeas
Christopher Gregg wrote:

Chad is right. The word is Italian, and most Italian speakers would say either "cheen-quah-DAY-uh", or "cheen-kah-DAY-uh".
Thanks, Chad and Bill.

I'm pleased to say that at least I was pronouncing it closer to correct than others have indicated. I used a "S" instead of the "CH" sound in the first syllable, but at least I had the accent on the "DAY" syllable. :D
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: