Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Pamela Muir wrote:

Hi Chad,

By "to be completed soon" do you mean that Tod is making it or did you get one of his kits? I recently bought his "make your own ballock dagger" kit. I haven't started it yet, so I was curious as to whether or not you had a kit or were having a dagger made for you.

It's not one of his kits, it's a custom job based on the top one in this pic:

[ Linked Image ]

Tod said he should have the bronze grip back from the caster soon, so I'm expecting it will be finished in the next few weeks based on what I've been told. :)

The dirk, which should have been shipped Monday, is based loosely on the one below, followed by two preview pics from Tod.

Attachment: 23.83 KB
dirkpic.jpg

Attachment: 27.93 KB
Overall.jpg

Attachment: 33.82 KB
hilt.jpg

Thanks, Chad! Those daggers are simply gorgeous. Then again, so is your entire collection. :cool:
Here's a picture of the dirk, which arrived today.

[ Linked Image ]

:)
Pamela Muir wrote:
Thanks, Chad! Those daggers are simply gorgeous. Then again, so is your entire collection. :cool:

Pamela,
Thanks so much. I feel pretty fortunate to have put together a decent collection. I've gotten some great deals here and there and have been able to deal with many cool people along the way. Fortunate, indeed. :)
My Tod's Stuff rondel dagger came in this week. Here are some pics he sent:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

:)
Wow, Chad, that rondel dagger looks great. I really like the detailed work on the grip.
Chad, that is one classy looking Rondel Dagger and Scabbard! Very, Very Nice :!:

A real hummer!

Bob
Chad;

Really nice Rondel. Can we have a few statistics about blade length, width and thickness ?

The edge side seems to have a little more belly than the top that looks strait(er) as opposed to single edged but perfectly symmetrical in profile. Could be an accurate impression or just the angle of the pic ?
Jean,
Detailed specs will be in a future review and in my collection gallery down the road. The blade is 9.5" long, and 1.25" wide. The edge is curved like the original, posted earlier in this thread. It's not a straight symmetrical blade: the back edge is straight and in line with the angle of the hilt. It's about .25" at the base.

Here's the dagger straight-on, laid on my scanner.

[ Linked Image ]
Bob and Max,
Thanks! I think it turned out really nicely. Tod does great work and is great to deal with.
Friends!

Browsing the Forum, I found this almost forgotten topic.
Actually, I'm not sure if the following pictures are suitable for it, but I think that this rifle, which is a real legend in my country is nearly unknown in the West. This is the latest addition to my collection.
So, my friends, I'm a happy and very, very proud owner of this Russian infantry single-shot rifle, Mod. 1869, or simply known in Bulgaria as "Krnka" after the name of its constructor Sylvester Krnka.

Best regards!
Boris

Attachment: 67.62 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 79.58 KB
[ Download ]
Here's the latest addition, picked up from the Post Office today. It's a ballock dagger by Arma Bohemia.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

From Arma Bohemia's website:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

It's based off this one from the Museum fur Duetsche Geschichte:

[ Linked Image ]

Photo by Arma Bohemia
[ Linked Image ]

Photo by Arma Bohemia
[ Linked Image ]
Well, I thought it was cool at least. :) What's interesting to me is the size of this dagger. It's sized pretty much like the original and feels kind of dainty actually. It's about 13.75 inches long in total and weighs somewhere around 5 or 6 ounces, according to the maker. I'll have actual figures in future reviews.

The blade, though, is nearly square in section and is all business. So while it isn't big or beefy, it still feels like a handy and nasty (though elegant) weapon of war.
That's an interesting piece Chad; the blade looks tiny in comparison to the handle; almost needle-like. Looks like it'd be very secure in the hand though. Thanks for sharing!
Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
That's an interesting piece Chad; the blade looks tiny in comparison to the handle; almost needle-like. Looks like it'd be very secure in the hand though. Thanks for sharing!

No problem! Actually, the whole thing is more slender than the photos show. The blade is less than half an inch wide and close to that thick. It is a pretty serious piercing blade (like a spike) and remains thick through most of its length. I'll have to try to get a picture of it in hand to see the scale better.
I absolutely love that piece, Chad! What a fantastic Christmas present. I'd be quite happy to own that, myself.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I absolutely love that piece, Chad! What a fantastic Christmas present. I'd be quite happy to own that, myself.

It is a good Christmas present but not the best one I received this year. :)

It's a nice piece. I look forward to having more tme with it as things settle down. It has such a great gothic look to it, with all the angles and a few graceful curves thrown in.
Here's a bad pic of it in-hand.

Attachment: 37.95 KB
in hand.jpg

Chad Arnow wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

It is a good Christmas present but not the best one I received this year. :)

It's a nice piece. I look forward to having more tme with it as things settle down. It has such a great gothic look to it, with all the angles and a few graceful curves thrown in.

I love the pommel on your new dagger. I agree, though, this must run a distant second to your other Christmas present!
Steve Grisetti wrote:
I love the pommel on your new dagger. I agree, though, this must run a distant second to your other Christmas present!

Thanks! The amount of detail on the pommel was a surprise to me, frankly. The only picture of the original that I had seen (the b&w one above and in our Ballock Dagger spotlight) didn't show the pommel's top at all. Arma Bohemia was able to take pics of the original and produce a much more detailed replica that I anticipated. Of course, it did push the price up. :)

With some projects (like this one), Arma Bohemia won't commit to a price up front since they don't know exactly what's involved in making it. So they make what they call a prototype, using that experience to determine a price. You then can buy the prototype if you like it and the cost. If not, you're not obligated to buy it.

The embossed pommel cap sits atop the actual pommel and is crimper over it around the edges. The actual pommel cap is peened; you just can't see it.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Page 9 of 13

Jump to: