Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > AT1566 and others Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
David Martin

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 20 Nov, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you make your goal? Is the machine paid for?

If not, I'd bet a short sword / dagger sale would go over well.

Thanks again for doing this, Gus. I hope this sale benefitted you as much as your customers.

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
Did you make your goal? Is the machine paid for?

If not, I'd bet a short sword / dagger sale would go over well.

Thanks again for doing this, Gus. I hope this sale benefitted you as much as your customers.

Ohh yeah, David.......

I made the final payment on Friday. Then, decided that being this close to Thanksgiving, rather than a heavy announcement........

Well, this week up to now has been a time for retrospection. And introspection. Making sure that "from here", there's steady progress towards sustainable, conservative business model.........

I've made a lot of mistakes over the last eight years, and I don't intend to continue down that path. Its now time to get caught up, to make the right "moves" in the reboot, etc........

Thanks David......... thanks everyone.........

swords are fun
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus,
Congratulations on having a new major asset towards your dream! I hope you do find a gradual sustainable path forward that permits you to deliver more of your products and appreciated skills to "average budget consumers."

I am wondering if you intend or aspire to develop more in house capabilities; heat treat (possibly self made salt baths, etc), casting, etc ? As I move closer towards attempting that first knife, I can appreciate all of this stuff that you need to finish!

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Gus! This sounds very promising!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good: When you are on a treadmill of trying to catch up to old orders, making up time lost due to setbacks and have to put the swordwork aside to do contract work to pay the bills it is difficult to just stop and " REBOOT " , you are just too much trying to catch up to even think about what isn't or rather wasn't optimum about the process. Wink

Now, that you have some breathing room you can take a pause and start over avoiding a lot of the things that cause customer service glitches.

So there is:

1) Good and effective communication.
2) Managing expectations by being careful about what you promise as to delivery times or it not even being an issue if you only deal with selling what you have in stock.
3) If a problem occurs always be pro-active informing the client and not leaving him/her in the dark.

Glad to hear that the equipment is paid for. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:

I am wondering if you intend or aspire to develop more in house capabilities; heat treat (possibly self made salt baths, etc), casting, etc ? As I move closer towards attempting that first knife, I can appreciate all of this stuff that you need to finish!

Thanks Jared

There are some things I'm going to be doing more of here. Leather work, work on the site, etc.........

But I'm not going to be doing castings, nor am I going to buy castings. Nor am I going to do "in house" heat treating. Pac Met has been real busy doing aircraft work in the last two years, which has occassionally made for some interesting scheduling......but......... no one does it better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it..........

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Sounds good: When you are on a treadmill of trying to catch up to old orders, making up time lost due to setbacks and have to put the swordwork aside to do contract work to pay the bills it is difficult to just stop and " REBOOT " , you are just too much trying to catch up to even think about what isn't or rather wasn't optimum about the process. Wink

Now, that you have some breathing room you can take a pause and start over avoiding a lot of the things that cause customer service glitches.

So there is:

1) Good and effective communication.
2) Managing expectations by being careful about what you promise as to delivery times or it not even being an issue if you only deal with selling what you have in stock.
3) If a problem occurs always be pro-active informing the client and not leaving him/her in the dark.

Glad to hear that the equipment is paid for. Big Grin Cool

Thanks Jean

Yeah, these are all important....... but the biggest mistake I've made since starting in this bizz, had to do with how I interacted with a customer/retailer. If I had managed to respond better, instead of respond worse, building a web of anger, things would have probably been better the whole of the last 7 to 8 years.......That was the worst.......

So, everything you mention, and anger management, and a better handle on relationships........and more.........

swords are fun
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Fri 23 Nov, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on paying off the machine! It sounds like that, and the "reboot" are both really well needed.
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
George Hill

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to rush or anything, but just to make sure I haven't missed a communication, when are the 1506s expected to be going out?
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
Please conduct your personal business privately. The forums are for public communication, not for private business dealings.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Not to rush or anything, but just to make sure I haven't missed a communication, when are the 1506s expected to be going out?

Hi George

My "decompression" period, as it relates to communications seems to be dragging a bit yet.....

This last week, I checked everything, as far as the components go, to see where I'm at on things. This in order to schedule things properly..........

I have three of the 1403 blades, for instance, in heat treat now. But I have no handle cores roughed, no guards roughed, no pommels made. I have two 1566s, same/ same.

I do have handle slabs roughed though, for the "widebodies" involved with this sale. Have pommels for above too. So, when the widebody material for the 1557s and 1404s get out of anneal later this coming week, I'll be machining them.

The only problem I have, production wise right now, is Eric is once again sick. It seems that winter starts to arrive, Eric gets sick.... The only thing that will affect though, since I suspected this may be the case, is the leather skin wrap over the long handles. The longswords......This is why the longswords will follow the widebody single handers. Get the most done the quickest, and with the best quality I'm capable of. I'm aiming to have the widebodies ready to ship by the end of February, but could slide into March. The longswords in March, don't think they'll slide into April. This is planning in a certain amount of "disaster factor", taking into account the history of the last three winters.....last winter in particular.......

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Long past time for an update........

Taken where I talked about this before, the four 1557s are on the floor waiting for the coming week so they can go to heat treat. The four 1404s are in the current "machining cycle", and so are the 2104s.

I bought 720 inches of wood, handle material. This coming week, I'm going to saw and rout 30 9 inch cores, mixed 1/4 inch depth, and .36 inch depth.

I also have guard material, and handle material........

I've also found out {as if I didn't know}, that staying away from the computer, and actually either keeping the machines running, and/ or grinding blades, get much more work done. Consequently, I haven't been around as much, nor will I be. Strange to say after 10 years of being a very common internet presence, I'm not going to be quite the same presence. Maybe once a week?, maybe twice? Nothing like the past.........

swords are fun

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > AT1566 and others
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: