Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Ron Macy “1 ½ twist” cable katanaRemoved Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
L.S. Lawrence

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 01 Mar, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: For Sale: Ron Macy “1 ½ twist” cable katana         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Hi folks,

Up for sale is a Ron Macy “1 ½ twist” cable katana

If you don’t know him, Ron is/ was Michael Bell’s senior-most apprentice. He’s now an up-and-coming smith in his own right, and a terrific guy. So far he has kept his prices quite low, about 2/3 of what Michael charges, so he can break into the market, but the materials and the quality are all there. For example, Michael saw this blade before it went out and strongly approved.

The “1 ½ twist” refers to the process of tightening the cable during the initial welding—specifically the number of turns the wire “rope” goes through before being pounded into a sunobe. This affects the hada in the resulting blade, producing a tighter overall pattern.

This blade was purchased direct from Ron earlier this year, and is now in binsui polish. I was going to have it finish polished and mounted, but life has intervened and I won’t be able to do it. Time to pass this one on.

Stats:

Nagasa: 27 7/8”
Sakihaba / width at yokote: 13/16”
Motohaba / width at machi: 1 1/8”
Sakikasane / thickness at yokote: 7/32”
Motokasane / thickness at machi: 9/32”
Kissaki length: 2 3/8"
Sori: 5/8”
Nakago: 9 ¾”

Couple of things. The blade is pristine. There are a small number of spots visible showing welds in the cable. These are NOT flaws. This is standard for these types of blades. If you are not used to them though, you might think there was a problem.

Cable is a non-traditional American innovation where katana are concerned. Use of the material was pioneered by Michael Bell following somewhat on the heels of Wayne Goddard in the knifeworld. An example of near-destruction testing of one of these blades, and (further down the page) the finished cable hada, can be seen here:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=77494

Pics:

Price:

Asking $1150 OBO, shipped, insured to continental US. Paypal works for me.

(Note, with Paypal, I will NOT charge you 3%. My view is, if you’re going to spend a moderate amount of money on what I’m selling, I can handle the 30 extra bucks.)

Money order is ok also but I will wait three extra days for it to fully clear before shipping.

I will consider international buyers on a case by case basis, but it’s your risk! Customs agents, etc. can be brutal with swords, and there’s no insurance possible. So, caveat emptor.

Serious inquiries are welcome to PM.

Thanks for looking.

Happy
L.S. Lawrence

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This listing has been REMOVED and is no longer active

Bump up!

Forum Index > The Marketplace > For Sale: Ron Macy “1 ½ twist” cable katanaRemoved
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic