Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Justin King wrote:
Arma Bohemia has done a copy of a longsword in the Cluny Museum that is similar in style to the Munich, this is also a much-desired sword for me.

I think you should buy one and tell us all what its like!! Big Grin

I'd love to, really...I am hoping to do a sort of a loose copy of this sword in the not-too distant future, based on an ATrim blade. I have tried to find specs but have not turned up any so far, so I'm not sure just how "loose" the copy will be.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Christian Fletcher Borderwatch?

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...words.html

Which one is it using the above link? Oh, I see it now, it is clearly labled... I wonder how much that costs? Anyone have any sword from the above link? How do they compare with the Albion swords listed above?

Well having handled both they're great. I've had an Atrim Boaderwatch pass through my hands and currently own one with an Albion XVI blade. In fact here's a review by Russ Ellis on this very sword.

http://tritonworks.com/reviews?content=review...=cf_ranger

All in all she's been a great sword and I'm very happy with her. Even though it's fantasy based I doubt you'd be disappointed by either Mr. Fletcher's hilt work or the handling of the sword itself.
Li Jin

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: HI         Reply with quote

Good morning

I never bought A&A nor Albion swords before because is quite expensive... my favorit is Windlass Braunstone hand and a half sword and I remember hand and half is refer to longsword or two handed sword if I'm correct.

Jin
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Paul Watson wrote:
These images are even better. Man I want this sword.

Let me tell you, the pics don't do it justice. Happy The owner asked that I not reveal his name (I don't believe he wants people to know he has such an amazing work of art in his home). He's not local to me, otherwise I'd try to get pics and measurements myself.

Bill, any chance of you requesting photo's from the owner and having you post them so he remains anonymous or do you not know him that well.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone who posted more info and pics of the sword. Very beautiful. If my conversions are correct the blade is 3" wide at the hilt. A true monster yet with a weight under 3.5 pounds. It must be superb to cut with.
Shayan G

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd have to second the Svante! It's just stunning. It used to be my desktop image, in fact.

If I had the funds to buy any Albion, it would be that one in a heartbeat. Beautiful hollow grind, aggressive but elegant profile, gorgeous quillons and pommel... Cool

You have to be a man, first, before you can be a gentleman!
~the immortal John Wayne
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was eyeing up the Svante for a lillte while as well. Its just that I could have a 'Gothic' Munich and a Brescia Spadona for that price.

I'll have to think about it... If the Svant was $2500, I would probably go for it... it is just that it is really up there in price... I'm all for having one better item than two lesser items, but is a Svante really worth a gothic Munich and a Brescia Spadona? Maybe it is... I'd just appreciate more feedback to this regard. I know there is no right or wrong, but it sure would be great to have more opinions. Yes, the Svant seems very, very nice.... it is just the price that is holding me back. Anyone else experience/handle this sword?

Quote:
Gripp of with core of maple wood, bound with fine cord and covered with vegetable tanned goat leather.

Is it just me or did that just make anyone else hungry?
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a link to Patrick Kelly's ode to his own Svante:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7590

And my brief praise of my Gothic Munich (which I have, tragically, not yet met in person):
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11309

My own philosophy on the matter has shifted quite a bit since I was younger. Once upon a time, I would have chosen to purchase three inexpensive swords of lesser quality rather than one exquisite but expensive sword. My feelings now are the exact reverse of this. First, I don't want to find myself with a clutter of cheap wallhangers when I could have one truly amazing weapon in their place. The Svante is a good example of this. I've decided to pass on four other Albions that I was considering in order to have the two that really grabbed me. The Svante's price tag made the sacrifice necessary, but I don't think I'll ever regret it. Likewise, the Bugei Lion Dog has replaced both the Wave and the Dragonfly on my wish list. I mean, how many swords do I actually need? Really, three is plenty for me right now, especially if they represent the same financial investment.

Of course, the parallel doesn't really work with Albion and Bugei, since both companies make nothing less than top of the line production pieces. You quite literally cannot go wrong buying an Albion, as long as it's the Albion you want. I actually had this revelation when my purchasing power was barely at the MRL level and I'd never even heard of Albion. Your milage may vary, but it seems more satisfying now to invest a little bit more money to buy the weapon that really speaks to me rather than going for something that's merely more affordable. I could have bought something really special for what I put into my old MRL pieces and enjoyed it more in the long run. Again, anything Albion makes is going to be extremely high quality, so you're in a far better position than I was.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Last edited by Sam Barris on Thu 08 May, 2008 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok... I think I have a plan: If things go well the next month, I'll order a Svante, spadonia, gothic munich, and a Dane. Now don't tell me there is a $7,000.00 sword out there that makes the Svante look like a plastic toy Wink By the way, what is the difference between production and custom? The production Albion swords, especially the Svante seems completely custom to me... What do sword snobs buy then, only custom? Only rusted originals just for collection sake and not use? I wonder how much that sword cost that we mentioned earlier: Peter Johnsson's type XVIIIc for the Masters of Fire exhibit. Is that what is meant by custom?

What would a year 2000 sword be like, Titanium?

By the way, my understanding is that the Dane is getting revised by Albion. Apparently it is going to be a lot longer... which is good. I really like the 6' 3" flamberge landsneckt I have. The size is fun. Would hate to see it dwarf the Dane...

If things don't go well on June 7th, maybe I'll just order the Svante and see how things go the rest of the year...

I ordered the Kingmaker last week. I'll know by June 7th what I will be able to afford, everything comes down to what news comes in the mail that day...

Bugei Lion Dog: Price US $3390.00, wow... I looked it up and yes, I'd rather have one of those than two lesser items... Looks amazing.

How does the law of diminishing returns apply to swords? Is there a point where all you pay for is looks? Is the construction, handling, and toughness that much diferent, or are you just mostly paying for cosmetic details? I know the Svante is nice looking, but what makes it worth that much more than a Gothic Munich?
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Production just means that there are many being made to the same specifications. The Svante is probably the single best production sword on the market, owing to Peter's detailed research of the original and the skill of Albion's craftsmen. It is priced accordingly. Custom means that an individual sword is manufactured either to your specification or the smith's whim. Quality is an entirely seperate issue. There are custom smiths who turn out pieces of lesser quality than Albion does. Peter's magnificent Masters of Fire sword represents the best of both worlds, as Peter is amazingly talented and that sword is a one of a kind masterpiece.

Titanium, unfortunately, does not have the proper metallurgical qualities to make a good sword. And it isn't as nice looking, either.

I'm in line for a Dane right now, but I'll probably end up putting that deposit towards a Svante. We'll see. It looks like it'll be magnificent however they end up making it.

As far as the law of diminishing returns, I personally only own one sword that isn't designed to be used, and that is my Navy dress saber. As a part of my uniform, though, it does fulfill its intended military function, so I can't blame the sword for not being a proper weapon. Looks are great, but form must follow function. I like Bugei's products because they are both beautiful and functional. James Williams is a fanatical martial artist and Keith Larman is a professional togishi. Along the same lines, Peter's research has given him a deep awareness of how swords were supposed to function. If he was just copying pictures like so many others do, or if his research was translated into steel by lesser craftsmen, the result would not be nearly as true to form.

As far as Svante vs. Munich, the Svante's blade geometry is far more complex and subtle, which means it is far more difficult and time-consuming to produce. Patrick talks about this in the thread I linked to. That is why it is so expensive. Most people who own or have handled one agree that it is well worth the money. I look forward to confirming that for myself. Happy

Good luck on June 7th! Big Grin

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, I'll go ahead and order a Svante. Whether I order anything else will depend on the news I recieve June 7th...

I did read the entire thread you posted and it was very helpful regarding the Svante.

I hope the Dane is very long and large, it may as well be since it will be the biggest Albion yet.

I think it would also be fun to have Ollin do a fantasy bearing sword... how much fun would it be to make a 91" fantasy two-handed 'bearing' sword... Well, I think it would be fun
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Done, the Svante is ordered...

Hopefully The Kingmaker and Svante will both be here in 3-4 months...

(Fingers crossed and prayers said for June 7th)
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/newsA.htm

I see the 'Munich' looking sword Justin mentioned.

Also, now we are talking Happy This 2 handed sword looks impressive:

http://www.armabohemia.cz/imgnew/epees/epees/pancc1.jpg
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris, contact Peter Johnsson personally for his pricing and availability. I have made similar enquiries but am not interetsed in publishing what he told me in case his situation and costs have changed. He is very helpful and every response he gives you will result in you knowng a little bit more about swords whether or not that was your intention.

The cost differences in the high end swords is in the detail and research required. Patrick Kelly once told me something to the effect that the Regent I was getting was no less of a sword than the Svante was. It was just a simpler sword to make. I must clarify that I do not think he meant they handled the same or anything like that as they are two different swords, he just meant that they were two swords that were equals in terms of what they are meant to represent. Both are modern reproductions, one of a carefully documented noblemans swords, the other a design by Peter Johnsson that is true to type based on research. The Svante will not be any more durable or a superior cutter or thruster just because it is more expensive. These factors are dictated by material and sword type.

You have made some very nice choices there Chris.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)

Last edited by Paul Watson on Thu 08 May, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank-you Paul. I appreciate your advice.

Out of curiousity, are there some custom swords that are *not* based on replicating history, but that of utilizing today's technology to recreate 'perfect' balance and handling? I wonder what the militatry would use today if we were forced to use swords (in keeping with the proper spirit of what a sword is...)

Thanks for the tip... I'm going to revisit this thead in a month...
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Thank-you Paul. I appreciate your advice.

Out of curiousity, are there some custom swords that are *not* based on replicating history, but that of utilizing today's technology to recreate 'perfect' balance and handling? I wonder what the militatry would use today if we were forced to use swords (in keeping with the proper spirit of what a sword is...)

Thanks for the tip... I'm going to revisit this thead in a month...

Angus Trim comes to mind when I read this question-he has a good knowledge of period blades but produces swords with the main focus on performance rather than on historical resemblance/accuracy. After some years of making swords, and more importantly, studying, testing, and cutting with them, I think he produces some of the best-performing blades out there for modern sword users.
Tinker Pierce does things in a similar vein, I think, although he may disagree. His blades are based on historical designs but are often differentially-tempered which provides an edge hardness somewhat higher than "industry norm", if there is such a thing. To me this is a good example of pushing the limits of modern materials and methods to produce high-performance swords.
Tim Mathews

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all ,
I own the custom 2 hander (landsknecht zweihander) from Arms and Armor and it is without question the favarite weapon in my collection ...
The balance suffered a bit when we changed the original crosspiece to the one you see on the site but Greg did a marvelous job forging it and I still drool a bit when I look at it ...
My next aquisition will be a copy of their Danish 2 hander they did awhile back ... I had the opportunity to handle that piece before it left the shop and it floats ...
While I have enjoyed reading the Forums for some time this is my first post ...

Tim Mathews
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trims tac line has some items that would have a feasible modern military application. All of them would be suitable given their construction for various reasons such as durability and maintenance, but it is hard to see some such as the longsowrd having a real modern military application. Check with Gus about the intention of this line.

Attachment: 136.56 KB
tac longsword.jpg
tac longsword

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I own the custom 2 hander (landsknecht zweihander) from Arms and Armor and it is without question the favorite weapon in my collection ...

What was the cost on that sword by the way? Do you have any full length images? I did not see any full length images on their site of that sword, just the link pictures I provided above.

Quote:
My next aquisition will be a copy of their Danish 2 hander they did awhile back ... I had the opportunity to handle that piece before it left the shop and it floats ...

What is the cost of that sword as well? The upcoming Dane from Albion is about $1200.00 and I'd like to see how it compares with Arms and Armor before deciding.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 May, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Quote:
I own the custom 2 hander (landsknecht zweihander) from Arms and Armor and it is without question the favorite weapon in my collection ...

What was the cost on that sword by the way? Do you have any full length images? I did not see any full length images on their site of that sword, just the link pictures I provided above.

Quote:

What is the cost of that sword as well? The upcoming Dane from Albion is about $1200.00 and I'd like to see how it compares with Arms and Armor before deciding.

Chris,
It's always best to get custom quotes directly from the maker. Custom prices vary from year to year and from customer to customer in many cases. What one customer paid a year or more ago may vary from what they charge you.

For example, a maker may quote a custom piece at $800. While making it, they may discover that they should have asked for more because it's more involved than they thought. They shouldn't change prices once they've agreed on it with that customer, of course. But the next person who orders it may get $1000 as the quote on the same project.

Plus the price of labor and materials has changed in the past few years, too.

It's best to do what A&A's website says: Contact them for a current quote. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword?
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: