Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A March Highlight - Sale and New Items! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Wow Craig, thank you very much for the last picture. It's very nice to have multiple blade options from which you can choose...

I'd like to order one, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the different blade options...

Hi Hugo

Here is a bit more info on the blades to detail what’s available. We have been doing stage and training blades since the mid eighties at least and have learned over the years there is no one answer for the best training weapon. There are to many variables between systems and users and the style one is focusing on should dictate more on the choice of tool one uses than probably anything else.

The result is we have tried to create a training option for our customers who would like something from us to train with that is more economically approachable than our stock hilts and allows for a very flexible blade usage to meet as many needs as possible. There are other options in the market that work quite well, Darkwood for example, for those looking for more hilt options. Scott and Patrick make some great stuff. This was developed to provide those of our customers who wanted a training piece from us and had a need for a variety of weapons or wanted a us to make a good training rapier/complex hilted cutting sword for their schools or students. These blade options would, in most cases, be available on our stock hilts as well Happy.

The hilt pictured in the first post of this thread can be fit on all the blade options I will list here and are pictured in the attachment.

A- Standard A&A sharp rapier blade.
B- Standard diamond cross-section blade as A with rebated edges. This is most often the choice for stage combat users and some reenactors.
C- A rectangular cross-sectioned blade from the ricasso to the tip. Replicates the action of the more cut orientated blades often associated with what are termed Spada di Lato or side swords. This style of combat can generate a great deal of force and durability is maximized with this blade shape.
D- What we call our nail blade. It starts out at the shoulders in a diamond cross-section and transitions into a rectangular cross section in mid blade to a flexible foible of the same cross section. This can have a nail tipped as seen in E or without as pictured in D. This allows for more give in the thrust than the C style blade. On the narrow blade with a flexible touch one can safely do quite deep thrusts with this blade, as its flex is considerable.

All of these can usually be done from our wide or narrow style rapier blade though C done on the narrow will not really gain you much and the D style gives a better blade dynamic on the narrow blade. A stiff forte and a flexible foible as described above.

Recently I have seen quite a few stage combatants moving to the other styles of blade than B for durability and safety. This is especially the case with practice weapons for new students.

The weights and feel of the blades are designed to replicate the same as the sharp blades would feel and allow for very similar action to the historic weapons, but with vastly increased durability and longevity.

All of these blades have been developed with to main influences. The first being a very close look at as many original training blades as possible and a collection of data on those we have not been able to handle. For this we have to thank many friends and colleagues that have shared with us their experiences and data. The other is an extensive period of testing and use by many of the leading WMA practitioners around and development of several swords to their specific needs and specs. This has been the most illuminating in the variety of needs in the community to produce items that work well, stand up to extensive use and provide the feel and play they have spent years refining to make these historic fighting systems work well.

I hope this helps in explaining what we have developed and what options may work best for you.

Best
Craig
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

It's nice to see unique and different offerings like these coming out of your shop, particularly the Jian which we don't see a lot of. (really useable versions that is) Cool stuff from A&A as always.

BTW, I never did call you when the Lombardy arrived, but I am very happy with it and the hanger as well. Since I've been working the midnight shift I've gotten terrible about calling people, as by the time I'm up and around most people have gone home for the day.
Steven Reich

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, my Milanese Rapier (the one pictured on the first page of this thread) and Gustav Vasa Rapier arrived today and after admiring the sharp blades that were mounted, I took them off and put on the rectangular blades to have a short practice with my wife (until we ran out of daylight); even though I knew they would be quite good, they exceeded my expectations. They are lively but solid, moderately flexible but rigid enough so that blade-on-blade contact is meaty, and as a bonus, the sound of the two blades when they clash is almost like something out of a movie (i.e. they clang and ring quite nicely).

I would strongly recommend these blades to anyone doing 16th century swordsmanship, and I'm sure that they will hold up to the violent blade-on-blade contact of the Bolognese stuff without any problems (we drilled the stopping parries of Guardia d'Intrare and Guardia di Testa and there is hardly a mark on either of them). Of course, those of you who own the Scholar's Sword or the Spada da Zogho would expect this, as did I (as I own the Spada da Zogho and also a set of practice rapiers with rectangular blades).

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Thank you Patrick         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Craig,

It's nice to see unique and different offerings like these coming out of your shop, particularly the Jian which we don't see a lot of. (really useable versions that is) Cool stuff from A&A as always.

BTW, I never did call you when the Lombardy arrived, but I am very happy with it and the hanger as well. Since I've been working the midnight shift I've gotten terrible about calling people, as by the time I'm up and around most people have gone home for the day.

Hi Patrick

Thank you for the kind words. Glad the rapier and hanger are to your liking. I use the picture of the hanger to show customers what the detailing can look like. I have gotten lots of compliments on it.

We are always trying to get new things ready to go Happy but seems like there is never enough time in the day to get stuff done the way I hope. The Jian has been kind of fun to work on and interesting to see the reaction of people who are knowledgeable about this type of weapon when they try it out.

The midnight shift! Well thank you for watching out for us all out there in the deep dark. You must get to meet all the best people at the hour of the day Happy

Keep well
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Reich wrote:
Well, my Milanese Rapier (the one pictured on the first page of this thread) and Gustav Vasa Rapier arrived today ...

Hi Steve

Glad they worked well for you. Give them the full what for and let me know how they play. Happy

Best
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Daggers         Reply with quote

Gabriele Becattini wrote:
Craig,

have you already tought about a matching dagger for your training rapier?

cheers

Gabriele

Hi Gabriele

Yes we have plans to have a piece to go along with this but at the moment it is not ready yet. We can do blades for our stock parrying daggers now. Here is an example.

These blades are designed to be flexible in the foible but are stiffer than some of the very springy flexy type blades that you sometimes see. After working with several WMA instructors and practitioners we found that the need for a blade that could deal with significant contact with the rapier/sword was more important for most systems than the need for a very easy flex on a thrust with the dagger.

Best
Craig

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A March Highlight - Sale and New Items!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: