Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > German Bastard with a "twist" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the comments that the guard is too thick and heavy. It definitely needs to be slimmer, for both aesthetic and mechanical balance. The overall work on the blade and furniture in nicely done though and gives your work a unique look all its own, something I think any maker should strive for. I don't mean this next comment to be rude so please take it in the spirit it's intended, but the leather wrap on the longswords grip really ruins the look of the entire piece, at least for me. Compared to the finish work exhibited on the rest of the sword it has an almost amateurish look to it and throws the entire piece out of aesthetic balance. I know that's what the customer wanted and it's his money so there you go, but it's a shame you couldn't talk him out of it.
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I agree with the comments that the guard is too thick and heavy. It definitely needs to be slimmer, for both aesthetic and mechanical balance. The overall work on the blade and furniture in nicely done though and gives your work a unique look all its own, something I think any maker should strive for. I don't mean this next comment to be rude so please take it in the spirit it's intended, but the leather wrap on the longswords grip really ruins the look of the entire piece, at least for me. Compared to the finish work exhibited on the rest of the sword it has an almost amateurish look to it and throws the entire piece out of aesthetic balance. I know that's what the customer wanted and it's his money so there you go, but it's a shame you couldn't talk him out of it.

No wurries. I agree with you. Our stage stuff has been leather wrapped like that for years now. That leather wrap has become so popular with the steel on steel fighters for commfort and durablity but it doesn't do much for the aesthetics.

I promise to make a similar one soon with a scaled version of the guard and a nice wood handle with some silver fittings. Maybe even a forged blade of some sort. We have a large San Mai wright iron/1075 billet that might be neat.

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Sean O Stevens

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah... theres that big German Bastard again... nice...

For me, if you blackened the pommel, it would be perfect. Yes the leather grip looks rough... but it also looks VERY comfortable to me.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > German Bastard with a "twist"
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: