Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > CAS/Hanwei Tinker Line Viking Sword is out! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Mike Arledge wrote:
Anyone seen these at a retailer yet?

I am so ready to buy one!

Mike - the sharp and blunt versions showed up today at KOA

Thanks, but I ordered ordere a sharp, it should be here Monday!!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is always interesting to observe the price spectrum of CASI/Hanwei swords across the internet. For the Tinker Viking sharp version (AKA SH2408) the lowest price I found was $275.00 at Medieval Collectables. Many vendors are selling it at a price between $275.00 and $280.00, including KOA. There are some who are selling it at a noticeably higher price - for instance, By The Sword has it at $302.00. The highest price I found was at Age Of Chivalry - $359.00. So shop around, folks. Of course, some of the vendors advertising it at a lower price may not be reliable, sending you a bad sword that somehow got through quality control, or being deceptive about having it in stock and only sending for it when they receive an order, etc.

As far as I know, the price disparities have always been a feature of CASI swords. In contrast, Del Tins have historically sold at a pretty consistent price through all vendors, a situation that I believe has been insisted upon by Fulvio Del Tin. (lately, KOA has been selling them at a somewhat lower price)
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got mine last night from kultofathena. Its a pleasant surprise to be sure! Its imposing and powerful, although as Tinker has mentioned, the edge is not as keen as I would like. It is a bit messy with milk jugs and takes a perfectly aligned strike and a lot of power to take out two liters. I will have to get measurements, but it almost seems like the POB is closer to the hilt that I prefer in a viking model, but that only means it perhaps handles a bit better that it might/should lol.

I will get pics loaded up once I get my computer reloaded with photoshop and all, as well as get to work on a more comprehensive review soon.

Good job Tinker and the folks at CAS/Hanwei!!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
David Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got mine!

And, well....

It ROCKS!!!!!!

I can only repeat what Mike said about it -- the edge is not perfect, but functional. I haven't cut with it yet, but I imagine I'd get similar results anyway. If I really wanted, putting a better edge on it wouldn't be too difficult.
Temper seems to be right on. I flexed it (once!) and it's quite flexible, springing right back into true (I can't begin to calculate the degree, but it impressed me sufficiently!).
I did weigh it -- it's right about 2.5 lbs (maybe more like 2 lbs, 7.5 ounces, but my dry food scale isn't postal or scientific grade).
The CoG is awesome (haven't measured it yet). This sword feels lighter than it is. It handles well, tracks well, it does a lot of things well.

Tinker (and the folks at CASI/Hanwei) ought to be proud of this piece. For the price it cannot, and I mean CAN NOT, be beat, if you like Viking-type swords. Which I do.

Now for a longship and a flaggon of mead! Actually, I have a problem with motion sickness. I'm a seasick Viking. Blush
I'll just take the mead.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > CAS/Hanwei Tinker Line Viking Sword is out!
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: