myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Be careful! Safety first! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:

A Bat'leth?? Was it a 9th century one or a common 23rd century model?
. Big Grin

It was this beastie here:

Happy

My foot struck it such that the sharp edge went just inside the pinky toe.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
D. Michael McIntyre

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Always be mindful of the edge(s) and point, and their relation to you, other people, the dog....
'Ware the dog. I was out exploring in the woods with our dogs, hacking my way through a thicket of dead bramble roses with my trusty machete, when my wife's dog bolted after a rabbit or something at just the wrong time. Thock. Right in his head.

It wasn't nearly as bad as it might have been, but it was a real eye opener. Not to mention a really awkward conversation with the vet. "Can you meet me as soon as possible? I just hit Boomer in the head with a machete." "You WHAT?!"

That could have been gruesome. I'm glad he has a hard head, and I was able to pull back most of the power when I saw what was happening.

Lots of things in here to give me pause when I think about swinging a real, sharp sword. I don't currently own a real sword, and the one I have on order won't come sharp. Dare I sharpen it?

Definitely not without reading and digesting the rest of this old thread, at least.
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one accident that happened in our Group was the following...

in a trainig fight with steelblunts the two combatant came to lock each other very thightly to each others body side by side, with both swords locked by the other one with their points downward and their hilts upward infront of each others face...locked swords are no reason in our group to stop the fight and to start over. so both folks tried to bring the other to a fall. i happend, that both fell backwards and both hilts hit the guys teeths...two theeths were lost in this accident...so we started to use a protector for the teeth like boxers are using...

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Doug Gardner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Still safe?         Reply with quote

In honor of a recent request for people to report on their safety incidents, I'm bringing this thread back to the top. This thread was originally posted in 2005. What are your thoughts on it now? Do you have another story to tell?

I suppose my favorite question for those who do cutting exercises is this, so I'm going to ask it again:
What do you intend to wear the next time you perform solo cutting exercises with sharp swords?
A) I never cut with sharps. It's too dangerous
B) Full harness. You never know what is going to happen
C) Full modern safety gear: mask, fencing jacket, gloves, heavy jeans and steel toed boots
D) Boots, jeans, and a heavy shirt.
E) Tennis shoes, shorts, and a t-shirt
F) Sandals and shorts. No shirt.
G) Sharp things scare me. I never go near them.

Doug Gardner
Paul Abrams

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: ouch         Reply with quote

1. Respect the weapon. Try searching Google Images for something like "sword wound" and pick out which scar you'd want to wear:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=sword+wound

2. Use the right tool for the job. Consider the kind of training you are going to engage in and the most appropriate weapon: sharp, blunt, waster, or whatever. Is using a sharpened blade REQUIRED to accomplish your training? Is there a substitute that is equal to the task?

3. Consider alternative training exercises. Most of what people think of as "test cutting" could be done as "test hitting" exercises on a pell with blunts. In my opinion that's almost just as fun but nowhere near as risky.

I was doing some FMA forms with a sharp tanto before I'd had my morning coffee (i.e. before I could think.) Before too long I was heading off to the E.R. to get a nice stab wound in my thigh sewn up. A few inches over and it would have been a *really* bad day. I learned my lesson to avoid sharps in daily training.
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received a sword recently packed in a box with packing peanuts, and inside that the sword was sheathed in a cardboard tube just the right size to stay tension fit on the blade. I thought it was ingenious and am keeping the tube until I get a scabbard made for it. Moderately safer than a bare blade and cheap.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Be careful! Safety first!
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: