Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Patrick Barta's TEMPL swords
I was just drooling over the Schiavona that Patrick made for Nathan Robinson. I cannot find it on his TEMPL website, but it is just gorgeous. My first sword that I ordered was from Patrick, his A02 Roman Riding Sword, and I was fortunate enough to have picked a true gentleman and a real winner for my first attempt, back there in September of 2001. The sword is a reproduction of one of the Nydam Bog finds from Denmark and it is done exceedingly well, including a quite handsome scabbard in the price. Indeed, I was so spoiled by that purchase that I have had to lower my sights a bit in dealing with others. Now, I see this gorgeous Schiavona, for which I would have absolutely no use, but a style for which I have always lusted. Nathan, do you mind my asking how much Patrck asked for it? As you know, his prices can jump around quite a bit. But, sir, I do truely envy you your sword! Now, I must sign off and clean the drool off of my keyboard. :D
Patrick's site is : http://www.templ.net/
:blush: I should have remembered to put that into the post. Thank you, Haider.

I was doing some checking on his A01 Roman Sword and the "sandwiched blade" that he is using in it is straight from Roman Military Equipment from the Punic Wars to the fall of the Empire, by Michael Bishop and JCN Coulston. They devote one of the final chapters to a discussion of Roman blade construction techniques over the years and the one that Patrick uses for this sword is straight out of that book. It is lovely!

On another point, have any of you seen one of his B06 rapiers with the gold and silver inlays on blackened steel rings, guard, and pommel? Does he really still sell it as shown for $650US + shipping? Does it include a scabbard? That item is unbelievably beautiful at that price and I am in lust after it, in full drool and tongue hanging out. :D I just may have to order one.
Hugh or Nathan,
Can you guys describe what the ordering process with Patrick was like?

Wait time, payment, delivery, communication quality....

Thanks!
Chuck Perino wrote:
Hugh or Nathan,
Can you guys describe what the ordering process with Patrick was like?

Wait time, payment, delivery, communication quality....

For my experience, the process was extremely good. Patrick Bárta is a true professional. Payment is in the form of a bank transfer (go to your bank and have them take care of it). Mr. Bárta gives all the info and makes that process simple. Despite a slight language gap, communication is smooth and timely. All is good.

Keep in mind, he's a custom maker. Despite having a catalog of items with pricing on his Web site, these things should serve more as a guide to future commissions than an indication that he'll just keep making the same pieces repeatedly. My understanding is that he will recreate items, but he's a fine artisan.. why not have him create something he's excited to make? After all, being a maker involves a passion. Harnessing that passion as a customer will yield an amazing and unique product.
Nathan (or anyone else),\
obviously I am in awe of some of the work on Mr. Barta's site, but does he do strict reproductions of historical swords as well as pieces inspired by historical swords? Jeremy
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Nathan (or anyone else),\
obviously I am in awe of some of the work on Mr. Barta's site, but does he do strict reproductions of historical swords as well as pieces inspired by historical swords? Jeremy

I commissioned a piece by Barta that is to be "typical of" a certain type and time period of sword. So that is more of an "inspired by" multiple historic pieces.

However, if you are talking about something a little more toward the fantasy end, I really couldn't say
Nathan Bell wrote:
I commissioned a piece by Barta that is to be "typical of" a certain type and time period of sword. So that is more of an "inspired by" multiple historic pieces.

However, if you are talking about something a little more toward the fantasy end, I really couldn't say

Mine is also a combination of historical pieces rather than a specific example.
I would be looking for a reproduction or perhaps a "typical of" piece, for although I admire the work in some fantasy swords I don't see myself buying one. I wish that Mr. Barta had more examples of the 1040-1250 period to see. The one type XII is nice but way too flashy for my tastes. I like how Mr. Barta shows a familiarity with the process of inlay on both fittings and blade. Jeremy
Templ Japanese swords
Hey folks,
I notice that Patrick Barta also makes Japanese styled swords and that everything is hand made. They look absolutely wonderful, and I was wondering if anybody has had a chance to handle one or even owns one. If so, please post your thoughts.

All good things...
Sherman
How are his wait times, on average, from time of order to delivery?
Hi,
I have just received my new sword from Patrick Barta and he was a great pleasure to do business with. His craftmanship is excellent. It is based on the Sutton Hoo sword and has a pattern welded blade and a real garnet cloisonne hilt.

I cannot recommend him highly enough.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachment: 97.5 KB
new1111.jpg

Paul Mortimer wrote:
Hi,
I have just received my new sword from Patrick Barta and he was a great pleasure to do business with. His craftmanship is excellent. It is based on the Sutton Hoo sword and has a pattern welded blade and a real garnet cloisonne hilt.

That is one of the finest reproductions I've ever seen created. Patrick Barta absolutely amazes me with each piece he completes. Please be so kind as to post many more photos of this sword, as I can't think of many other pieces more deserving of such attention.
Agreed, we definitely need to see more pictures of that sword. It is a replica of the Sutton Hoo sword?
Oh my!

More photos please.
Holy #%%!$$@
Amazing!.........
I cant stop staring at it....
Ill be here a while...

Please post more pics.
Here is another picture showing more details of the blade. i'll try and take some of the sword an scabbard tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul

Attachment: 96.08 KB
[ Download ]
A close up of the pommel -- Patrick attention to detail can clearly be seen here. There are 47 garnets in the pommel.

Paul

Attachment: 97.54 KB
sutton-hooaaaaa.jpg

Paul,

Would you consider writing a full review of this sword for our reviews section? This sword is just too magnificent to let it slip into cyberspace.
Patrick,
I will certainly try to do that and I am honoured that you have asked me.
Shall I contact you off list to get details of how to approach the review? I am a little new here.

Paul
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: