Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

odd, something happened to my image. hmmm of yes I had to move the file, here it is again.

Joseph, love the celtic shield. I've been meaning t make one myself.
Chuck -
What is the symbol in the top half of the shield?

Thanks,
Steven
I think those are scallop shells.
I've really wanted to buy a heater shield from Merc Tailor for a while, and this just reminds me of one more reason why I should get around to doing it. I've been consistently impressed with the quality of their paint jobs on coats of arms, which is one more reason to order from them.
yes, thanks Ed. they are scallops.
Well, here´s my latest shield.

[ Linked Image ]

Teutonic pavise shield with "du Faing" familial armories. Oil on gesso.
Chuck Russell wrote:
Joseph, love the celtic shield. I've been meaning t make one myself.

Thanks, Chuck. That heater is impressive as well.
Here's my first shield and first post

[ Linked Image ]
Welcome to the forums! That's a great shield; I like the hammer. Freehand or template?

M.
Freehand with egg yolk based homemade paint. Pigment was marker line chalk.
Best intro post ever.

M.
Here are three Scuta I finished about a month ago. The last pic shows an Augustan and Republic shield in process presently. Both are currently faced in leather and the right shield will have a wool felt back layered after the Fayum shield. Between work, performing at our Renaissance Fair, and working on shields lately, I don't get to check back here often enough, but wanted to stop in and contribute these pics. I did all the work myself except making the boss.

BTW, the shields since my last post are awesome. I just wish I got to see more work like yours up close and personal. Take care.

Chris,
Excellent paint job!!! They look so even and consistent. I really like the boar and the dolphin symbols. I am not sure if i have ever seen those particular symbols on a scutum. Great job and keep up the great work!
Thanks. I cannot take credit for the design itself though. Terry Nix designed them for our reenacting group so I painted mine to match my group. They are the emblem for Legio X Fretensis out of Houston, TX of which I belong.

The Augustan will have an entirely different design though. It will have the unicorn horns, Legio XX wings used by Matt Amt, a wreath, lightning bolts and scroll. I just took elements from several groups I liked and combined them to have something different on my wall. The paint job on it will be done this week, and then I will start the brass edging. I think the Augustan will be my personal favorite Roman shield when it is done.
A round shield I recently finished made of pine, 1 cm thick and 76 cm in diameter. Sorry for the crappy pics.

My current take on the Valsgarde 8 shield nr. 1. There are several significan diferencies between this one and original - namely, this one is made of ash planks (original is from pine), it is only about 80 cm in diameter (original is about 110 cm) and it is covered in fabric (original is covered in leather). It was intended to serve as a "testbed" of sorts before I will make a precise replica, so I did not tried to do the decorations on the latten parts, also, due to smaller size some of the decorative elements had to be omitted and simple half-spherical umbo was used instead of more advanced, "muchroom" type that should have had lattern decorative plates added to it as well. In any case, here is how it turned out. It was tested in combat with blunted steel blades and surviced quite well.

Attachment: 121.8 KB
shield_1.jpg

Attachment: 121.2 KB
shield_2.jpg

Artis Aboltins wrote:
My current take on the Valsgarde 8 shield nr. 1. There are several significan diferencies between this one and original - namely, this one is made of ash planks (original is from pine), it is only about 80 cm in diameter (original is about 110 cm) and it is covered in fabric (original is covered in leather). It was intended to serve as a "testbed" of sorts before I will make a precise replica, so I did not tried to do the decorations on the latten parts, also, due to smaller size some of the decorative elements had to be omitted and simple half-spherical umbo was used instead of more advanced, "muchroom" type that should have had lattern decorative plates added to it as well. In any case, here is how it turned out. It was tested in combat with blunted steel blades and surviced quite well.

Very nice work.
Here's mine. Pretty basic Scottish targe. Leather and brass tacks on the front, felt on the back. Picked it up several years ago at a Scottish Festival, so I have no idea what the core is made from (though it's probably plywood).

Attachment: 35.43 KB
Targe.jpg

Here's my favorite shield by Valentine Armory. It was used as a prop in the movie 'Beowulf and Grendel' so it is intentionally aged and beat up.

Attachment: 96.37 KB
viking shield.JPG

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Page 5 of 13

Jump to: