Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone here in NY that would want to go to the Met with me? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jan, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Anyone here in NY that would want to go to the Met with me?         Reply with quote

I'm currently in Queens, NY, to interview a World War II veteran for a writing project; I would like to go to the Met museum (specifically to look at the arms and armour section) and I would definitely dig it if anyone here who's in NY wanted to go along with me, so I could have someone else to look at it with who actually knows something about it and is actually interested in it. It would be interesting as hell to have another person there or even a group of people to discuss the armour as we looked at it. If there is anyone here who is interested in this, let me know or send me a PM. I'll be here until the 22nd.
Pastime With Good Company
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not in New York, but if you do go to the Met, I have been looking for years for pictures of a certain sax that is supposed to be there somewhere...

I've attached a line drawing. The scale is 10cm. A bad copy of it used to be sold by Hanwei.

I would REALLY appreciate some pictures of it, no matter the quality. Even just a confirmation that it's there would be really nice.

Attachment: 15.81 KB
scramasax-scan.jpg

Tim Hall

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:
I'm not in New York, but if you do go to the Met, I have been looking for years for pictures of a certain sax that is supposed to be there somewhere...

I've attached a line drawing. The scale is 10cm. A bad copy of it used to be sold by Hanwei.

I would REALLY appreciate some pictures of it, no matter the quality. Even just a confirmation that it's there would be really nice.

I didn't see that when I was there just a few months ago, if anyone would be able to post a picture of it(and possibly its location in the museum) I would appreciate it as well.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:

Keep in mind that most Museum collections are rotated in and out of display to the public and the back room storage is probably 10 times of what one can see: So not seeing it on display wouldn't prove anything but seeing in on display would confirm it's existence.

I wonder if one can write or e-mail the Museum and ask if anyone knows if it's something they have in their collection or had in their collection at some time in the past ...... Museums also sell pieces at times I think. ( Sales to private collectors or sales or trades with other museums ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Tue 19 Jan, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liam O'Malley

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:

its a frankish 7th century piece, i have a PDF of the met article on it somewhere, i'll dig it up if you likke.
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Hansen wrote:

Hi Paul,

One of my students will be taking an internship there. i will pass along what your looking for. Cheers.

Todd
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jan, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the responses so far. :-)

I have thought about writing the museum, but since all I have to go on is this line drawing, I thought it would be a long shot. Never imagined that there would be an article on it... Big Grin You have a PM Liam!

But even with an article, I'd still appreciate some more pictures. I've been in love with this sword for about 15 years now... It's one of the pieces that made me interested in saxes.

Adam, sorry for hijacking your thread... I would really have joined you if I could...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone here in NY that would want to go to the Met with me?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic