Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > Facebook and the like... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

So, should myArmoury have a Facebook group/page?
We don't need one. If they're interested they'll find the us.
53%
 53%  [ 26 ]
We may as well. It'd increase the variety and knowledge base and fun.
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Social-Networking? Forums? Internets? What are these strange things thoust speak of!
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 49

Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Facebook and the like...         Reply with quote

Sorry if this doesn't go here, or if indeed it is barely relevant but...
Why doesn't myArmoury have a Facebook group or something?
I can't really see it detracting from the main website.
I for one think it'd be a cool idea if some one got one up and running.
I'd join! Laughing Out Loud
So what do you fine lot think?

P.S. I'm using Facebook as an example as it seems to be a bit more clean cut then other 'social-networking' (whatever that means, I thought going down to the shops was doing that) websites.

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think a very simple Facebook page (or similar) may provide useful to increasing traffic here.

I foresee both pros and cons to this endeavor. On the positive side, increasing traffic would (hopefully) lead to an increase in viewpoints and positive contribution. I enjoy a constructive, healthy debate backed with facts and informed assumptions. I also very much enjoy looking at people’s latest kit components, groovy projects, new product releases and historical pictures.

On the negative side I see an exponential increase in spamming, nonsensical arguments, chuckle-heads using profanity and endless headaches for the moderators. I would also hate to see good discussions being held on both Facebook and here, when they should be held on this forum for all to see.

If the moderators of myArmoury decide to move in this direction, I would suggest a very simple Facebook page that simply points interested people towards the “http://www.myArmoury.com/home.html” url.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll defer to Scott Hrouda's post above as it sums it up well. A couple points I'll add:

1. We're not looking to increase our traffic here. Our current traffic load is quite huge
  2. We've always been a more signal, less noise model here: Scott's points about adding a venue that does not maintain such a model are spot-on
  3. I'm not looking for yet another project to have to manage and maintain
  4. myArmoury.com is a community site and it fulfills the defined mission already

Having said that, any member is welcome to create a "fan site" of any kind. Then none of the above applies as it would not be my own project and I'd not have to deal with it. Happy

But there won't be an official myArmoury.com Facebook page any time soon except possibly a feeder page as Scott suggests.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, not to appear a Luddite, but I avoid the social-networking places at all costs and I think it would disrupt what I think is a perfect environment
Randy Westgate
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randy W wrote:
I agree, not to appear a Luddite, but I avoid the social-networking places at all costs and I think it would disrupt what I think is a perfect environment

Randy: You won't need to go to any social site, if you feel uncomfortable about it. As a businesswoman, I know the power of social networking. It is highly recommended by the media, namely ABC, NBC, CBS etc. (USA). Besides, myArmoury is a social network, just of a different form. It could only help the professional arms-makers expand their client base--not by advertising, but by engaging in conversations with potential clients, and sharing the sucesses, failures, foibles, and pratfalls of running a business in this crappy economy.

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michele Hansen wrote:
As a businesswoman, I know the power of social networking.

It's powerful all right, but also noisy and distracting in my opinion. Personally I avoid social networking sites. The constant stream of updates is just too distracting from getting work done (I'm a computer programmer). In fact I have gone quite far with eliminating distraction. I have stopped using instant messagers (e.g. MSN, ICQ), disabled my e-mail notifier and I read my e-mail only three times a day. If someone really needs to talk to me *now* they can just pick up a phone (which most people don't do). I have also eliminated anything on my computer that produces a popup or notification sound of any kind.

You wouldn't believe how much more productive I have become Laughing Out Loud
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Aug, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Michele Hansen wrote:
As a businesswoman, I know the power of social networking.

It's powerful all right, but also noisy and distracting in my opinion. Personally I avoid social networking sites. The constant stream of updates is just too distracting from getting work done (I'm a computer programmer). In fact I have gone quite far with eliminating distraction. I have stopped using instant messagers (e.g. MSN, ICQ), disabled my e-mail notifier and I read my e-mail only three times a day. If someone really needs to talk to me *now* they can just pick up a phone (which most people don't do). I have also eliminated anything on my computer that produces a popup or notification sound of any kind.

You wouldn't believe how much more productive I have become Laughing Out Loud

You win this one, Sander *Presents and salutes with blade*. Can I change my vote? Looks like I won't need to, as yours is the more popular opinion. I'd much rather hold intelligent online conversations with people who share common interests, than waste an hour harvesting, and planting crops in "Farmville" LOL!

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > Facebook and the like...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic