Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Did knights actually wear Maximillian armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Did knights actually wear Maximillian armor         Reply with quote

I always thought that Maximillian only wore the armor he made for himself........ i dont know
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Did knights actually wear Maximillian armor         Reply with quote

Connor Lynch wrote:
I always thought that Maximillian only wore the armor he made for himself........ i dont know

Maximilian didn't make armour. He had people to do that for him. Happy It is a style that was worn by more people than just the Emperor himself. The style was named after him, but was not used exclusively by him.

I would recommend you check out some basic books on arms and armour. The one that comes to mind is Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight. It's a great general resource (though some chunks may be getting dated). A book like that will help you put all these terms and items into some kind of context.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok so i know that people other than maximilian wore the armor but did knights wear them
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor Lynch wrote:
Ok so i know that people other than maximilian wore the armor but did knights wear them

Sure. Knights were the main wearers of armour during that period. Most (if not all) nobles who fought were also knights. They were wealthy and could usually afford the latest fashions. Non-noble knights were less well off but had to be wealthy enough to afford the items that went with their status (horse, arms, armour, etc.). Wealthier knights woudl have also wanted the latest fashions. It's also possible that a well-to-do man-at-arms (non-noble, non-knight) could have afforded such a harness as well.

Knights who could afford that kind of harness and who lived in areas where that style was popular might very well have worn them. There was very little that was universally adopted, though: knights throughout Europe didn't all switch to a Maximilian harness.

So knights and nobles who wanted to and could afford this style wore it. Other professional soldiers of means may have as well.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now my real question the Teutonic Knights were not needed anymore for the Holy Roman Empire in 1525 because of Albert the Grandmaster converting to Lutheranism in 1525 but does that mean that the Teutonic Knights wore maximilian armor because maximilian armor stopped being used in 1525 exactly and it was made in 1515-1525 look at this picture it slightly shows someone holding a burgonet waiting for Albert to put it on what was the earliest year that the burgonet was introduced?
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh sorry to see the picture go to wikipedia type in Prussian homage
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That painting was made in 1882. Quite a bit after the period in question.

I was not aware that the burgonet was connected with a particular style of armor. Seems like I've seen period artwork with soldiers or knights wearing a burgonet both before and after 1525. Seems like I've seen Maximilian harness in use in period artwork after 1525 too.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Connor Lynch

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really dont know im just confused i dont know how long was maximilian armor was in use and when did the burgonet come out because i think the first users of the burgonet were the demi lancers who only wore it open but i see maximilian armor with burgonets on it with a fulling buffe or a closed burgonet very confusing
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's why you'd better get a fairly comprehensive book. Online sources will only get you so far.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Did knights actually wear Maximillian armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic