Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Peter Johnsson collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Harlan Hastings
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Peter Johnsson collection         Reply with quote

Here's a picture of almost all the Peter Johnsson swords at Albion last week. From the top: the Brescia, my 15th Century Civilian, the Tritonia, my new hollow ground type XVIII, the Solingen, and Patrick's Big Johnsson (type X). Missing are the Svante Nilsson Sture and Eric's.

Attachment: 85.79 KB
[ Download ]
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos, Harlan.......

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice stuff.

Would love to be able to see some of it first hand someday.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad Leif didn't put my swords scabbard in the photo. Peters work on it is just as impressive as the sword.

Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is good that Peter's swords (and those designed by him) are made available to the public. As Peter's been pretty much in the spotlight for a couple of years now, but very few have been able to actually handle his swords, it is great that his reputation for top-notch work is confirmed by sword enthusiasts.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
It is good that Peter's swords (and those designed by him) are made available to the public. As Peter's been pretty much in the spotlight for a couple of years now, but very few have been able to actually handle his swords, it is great that his reputation for top-notch work is confirmed by sword enthusiasts.

The handling of Peters work is the key to appreciating it. Eric McHugh had expressed to me time and time again that Peters work was in a class by itself. I had begun to think that Eric was prone to exaggeration, that changed once I met Peter and got to handle several examples of his work. As soon as I held a PJ sword I knew exactly what Eric was talking about. Every sword that I examined felt and handled exactly as its ancient counterpart would have. I called Eric prior to departing for New Glarus, and I asked him if my new sword was "nice". Eric gave me a very simple answer which I feel perfectly expresses the quality of Peters work. Eric told me "You're buying a medieval sword". He was right, Big Johnsson is the most spot-on example of a medieval sword that I have ever owned.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Patrick's "Big Johnsson"         Reply with quote

Here's a pic of Patrick's new baby , with scabbard ! Mac

View this image in larger detail Here

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Patrick's "Big Johnsson"         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:

What a brute! Most commercially available swords of that size handles like trucks, but knowing Peter's work, I know that it handles like a dream. Make sure to check the bigger version of the pic, and look at the scabbard work. There are few better!
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Patrick's "Big Johnsson"         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Thomas McDonald wrote:

What a brute! Most commercially available swords of that size handles like trucks, but knowing Peter's work, I know that it handles like a dream. Make sure to check the bigger version of the pic, and look at the scabbard work. There are few better!

I´ts true. :-)
I think i have handled this sword this summer.
(Or one wery much like it, late dated type X.)

It is a true cutting orientated blade, but it feels wery good balanced and light considering it´s weight.
(1,3 kg if i remember correctly?)

I have some pics to bring home now developed, i will post them in a different thread if they turn up good.
All in all 4 swords, a Master Swordsmith and some strange people. ;-)

(The "Sture" is one of them, now that is a really, really nice sword and it was a privilege to be able both to listen and talk to Peter and handle some of these wonderfull swords.)
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you look inside the throat of this scabbard you'll see that the opening precisely matches the cross section of the blade, right down to having inward bulges that fit inside the fullers. The sword sort of snaps into place inside the scabbard.
Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sword is something incredible, Patrick! Peter's work is really amazing!
Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats Pattie! gotta see some better pics.....NOW!
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek! Drool....

I am really close to purchasing a Next-Gen Gaddhjalt, which will eat up my spending money for this year. I will also be looking at the Next-Gen Type-XII, which should be out next spring. $1000 is a lot for me to drop on one sword, but that Type-X is fantastic--exactly what I like. It will get very serious consideration next year. Also I look forward to seeing the PJ Type-XIIa.

Regards,
Brian M
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
I am really close to purchasing a Next-Gen Gaddhjalt, which will eat up my spending money for this year. I will also be looking at the Next-Gen Type-XII, which should be out next spring. $1000 is a lot for me to drop on one sword, but that Type-X is fantastic--exactly what I like. It will get very serious consideration next year. Also I look forward to seeing the PJ Type-XIIa.

Hey Brian-
Just to clarify, the new Gaddhjalt retails at $650, but is available for a sale price of 20% off I think... My understanding is that the Next-Gen product line will mostly be in that same price range, including the Type XII that will eventually be on market. The museum line starts around $1000 apiece so that's maybe where the confusion is. None of these these prices are small amounts of cash, of course, but when compared to similar products in the same price range, my experience has shown them to be a very good value.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan makes a very good point.

Remember, I said that the Gaddjhalt was in the triple digit price range.

The Next Gen. line will price out at around $650 on the average. This is why I'm so excited about this line. We've never seen this kind of attention to historic detail in this price range before. The PJ Museum line will start at $1000 on average.
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Robinson,

Just now I placed my order for a next-gen Gaddjhalt at $544. Hopefully that price will still be in effect when the next-gen XII comes out. BTW, this is my first-ever sword purchase after a couple of years of lurking, reading, and research.
I understand the price difference between the "next-gen" line and the "PJ/museum" line, but perhaps I misunderstood the information about the type-X. I thought the type-X in the picture was a prototype of an upcoming "Museum" line sword, but re-reading the thread it sounds like a custom piece for a private individual. I am still unclear on this. What I was saying is that (assuming the -X is a future "Museum" release) I liked the sword and would give it serious consideration at $1000.

By the way, I am also casting about for a scabbard for the Gaddhjalt. I would prefer something like the integral scabbard-belt seen with the type-X picture above, which I believe is period-correct (circa 11th-12th C.) for the sword. Any suggestions? Albion, CF, Triton, and Art Elwell look like the most likely, and affordable. Do they do the integral-woven type scabbards? What would such a piece cost? Input appreciated.

Regards,
Brian M
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Hello Mr. Robinson,

Just now I placed my order for a next-gen Gaddjhalt at $544. Hopefully that price will still be in effect when the next-gen XII comes out. BTW, this is my first-ever sword purchase after a couple of years of lurking, reading, and research.
I understand the price difference between the "next-gen" line and the "PJ/museum" line, but perhaps I misunderstood the information about the type-X. I thought the type-X in the picture was a prototype of an upcoming "Museum" line sword, but re-reading the thread it sounds like a custom piece for a private individual. I am still unclear on this. What I was saying is that (assuming the -X is a future "Museum" release) I liked the sword and would give it serious consideration at $1000.

By the way, I am also casting about for a scabbard for the Gaddhjalt. I would prefer something like the integral scabbard-belt seen with the type-X picture above, which I believe is period-correct (circa 11th-12th C.) for the sword. Any suggestions? Albion, CF, Triton, and Art Elwell look like the most likely, and affordable. Do they do the integral-woven type scabbards? What would such a piece cost? Input appreciated.

Regards,
Brian M

Hi Brian,

You've made an excellent purchase on your first sword. I was very impressed by this sword during my handling of it, this is exactly how a medieval sword should handle and respond.

The Type X is my personal sword, and is not a prototype for the Peter Johnsson line. Peter had made this sword for an exposition at the Duetches Kliengenmuseum. Fortunately for me this sword hadn't been made for a customer so it wasn't spoken for. Obviously I spoke loudly!

The scabbard was also made by Peter and is period correct for the sword. This is my favorite belt/scabbard arrangement as it is a classic early medieval design. A similar scabbard would be correct for your Gaddjhalt, although a lace tie at the belt end instead of the buckle would be more correct as the sword is slightly earlier in period. Albion can make you a similar scabbard, which would be very convenient as your buying the sword from them. Christian Fletcher could also make a scabbard and belt like this. His work is very nice, and having recently met Christian I can vouch for his sincerity.
Rick Barrett
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: A class of its own         Reply with quote

When you say Peter's work is in a class of its own it is surely an understatement. I know of no other smith who has taken the full head on approach to studying the originals and done as precise documentation as Peter. I've studied Japanese swords for over 18 years in depth but I still feel dwarfed by the amount of knowledge he's obtained. Heck, I got a full fledged Swedish history lesson at Eric's one night when talking about the Svante Nilsson.
Leif Hansen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Oct, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a collective hilt shot I took of Peter's stuff. Unfortunately Eric didn't have time to run home and get his PJ sword, and at the time I didn't realize the Svante was upstairs in the office.

I just don't have enough good things to say about Peter. He's a gentleman, an artist, a thinker, a master craftsman in a variety of fields, and I'd even say a bit of a sorcerer. He's gathered ancient secrets, and has done the painstaking work required to decipher them and put them into practice. If Peter had lived in bygone days, he would surely be forging the swords of kings. To meet Peter Johnsson is to become his friend, and that's a rare thing in today's world.
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a nice lineup too, a bad picture - but some good looking (and handling) swords.

Attachment: 36.22 KB
Pj´s.jpg
Sword rack full of some sword made by Peter Johnsson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Peter Johnsson collection
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: