Custom ribbonhilt by Alojz Krišto - progress pictures
I was visiting Mr.Alojz yesterday, to see the progress of a baskethilt I ordered from him recently, and took a few pictures of an incomplete basket. It is the design I discussed recently in this topic: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight= with Mr. Erickson and some other myArmoury forumites. Here are the results, the basket should be finished and mounted on a blade by next weekend:

Last edited by Luka Borscak on Mon 28 Feb, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Luka this basket is looking good ... good proportions and the fold to create the "beak" looks just right. thanks for sharing its nice to see the basket as it is formed. would it be possible to see a pic of the steel when it was still flat? also what thickness steel are you using?
Thanks! The steel is 2mm thick. These are the only pictures I have, I'm not the maker so I haven't seen it before I took this pictures when I visited the maker to see the process.
thats a very nice and interesting basket! I have a question, is 2mm steel the correct thickness I thought it would be more like 4mm steel? I really don't know just trying to understand!?

Cheers mike
Mike W Grant wrote:
thats a very nice and interesting basket! I have a question, is 2mm steel the correct thickness I thought it would be more like 4mm steel? I really don't know just trying to understand!?

Cheers mike

I don't really know either. Reading baskethilt topics here I concluded that ribbon basket should be quite thin with some parts like rearguards thicker but I went with uniform thickness as a cost saving measure. My budget is very limited. I think Mr. Erickson even wrote somewhere here antique ribbon baskets were as thin as 1mm, but I don't really know in which topic I read that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: