Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword suspensions Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Can anybody shed light on this type? It appears to be a "quick release" system that could serve your purposes, Al. I assume a buckled strap goes through the ring, but it would have to be a very narrow strap. Maybe the ring mates with a hook. It would be pretty easy to make this part--leather strap, brass ring (check Lowes,) a couple of strips of sheet brass and two rivets. I wish the artist had shown the belt. Confused

I think it is probably a hook. If you were going to use ties it wouldn't be worth it to use valuable metal fittings, and if you were going to use a strap then it probably would of used a buckle.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
Can anybody shed light on this type? It appears to be a "quick release" system that could serve your purposes, Al. I assume a buckled strap goes through the ring, but it would have to be a very narrow strap. Maybe the ring mates with a hook. It would be pretty easy to make this part--leather strap, brass ring (check Lowes,) a couple of strips of sheet brass and two rivets. I wish the artist had shown the belt. Confused

I think it is probably a hook. If you were going to use ties it wouldn't be worth it to use valuable metal fittings, and if you were going to use a strap then it probably would of used a buckle.

Good points. I think the hook idea is the most compelling.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that I look more closely, I think this suspension might be similar. I wonder if the frog shown above has a twin farther down the scabbard. That makes more sense than a single point. Here's a quick sketch, too. This might work....

Attachment: 186.77 KB
download-1.jpg

Attachment: 101.39 KB
suspension.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tried hooks on scabbards, when walking around faires and such. My experience is that they are only good if you're careful...they tend to come undone if you move wrong. I go with buckles now for detachable scabbards and they work much better. But I think they are hook attachements in the picture.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It depends on the style of the hook, I think. I have a hook for attachment to the belt on the back strap. Due to the shape it won´t come undone. See the picture.

Attachment: 93.45 KB
IMG_0234.JPG

Attachment: 88.47 KB
IMG_0235.JPG

Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Dec, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
It depends on the style of the hook, I think. I have a hook for attachment to the belt on the back strap. Due to the shape it won´t come undone.

That looks to be a good rig, thanks for the pictures.
Mikko Kuusirati

PostPosted: Mon 20 Sep, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is not dead which can eternal lie... Big Grin

I came across this thread looking for things to do with my new Windlass German Bastard Sword (a lovely thing for its price, BTW) and then this ca. 1500 altar piece from Salzburg struck my eye while browsing IMAREAL:

It seems the black wise man (was it Balthazar? I can never remember) is wearing a long sword on some sort of narrow baldric. Were these at all common in the period? Can you point out any more examples of such? Or has he just looped a perfectly normal belt over his shoulder instead of around his waist, for some reason?

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I don't see any hanger hardware sets at Historic Enterprises anymore, but they do have terrific 15th c. buckle and strap end sets for $25.

http://historicenterprises.biz/reenactment-go...2_184.html

You're not missing much...I had a friend make me a rapier hanger suspension with one of their kits...they were made with copper not mild steel and cast, not forged. Needless to say I didn't like the hooks bending when they did. My advice for anyone who uses detachable hooks for their suspension is use only mild or hardened steel and not brass, copper or lesser metals. The weight of the sword pulling on the hooks has tended to bend any soft metal hooks I have ever used in these setups.

Also check with Craig at Arms and Armor, he once made me a good longsword suspension setup with steel hooks that was pretty robust and it held up quite well.
Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Re hooks:

Here are some pics of the suspension Russ Ellis did for me a while ago as a 'test' piece on an ATrim, using a single hook:

Attachment: 82.44 KB
at_sheathed_throat.JPG

Attachment: 80.92 KB
at_suspension.JPG

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The above used the following images for inspiration - from Revival Clothing and Albion's sites, respectively:

Attachment: 32.8 KB
gambeson_LinenRed_chauses_LinenSlateBlue_back.jpg

Attachment: 34.05 KB
regentscab14.jpg

Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: And two hooks ...         Reply with quote

And here's a two-hook suspension Russ completed more recently. Interestingly, I recently came across a period image that shows a suspension with what looks like a moveable mount / in-line buckle on the belt ... will try to upload here if I remember. These allow for good weight distribution and carry.

(Apologies about image quality, and some covering-up of hooks/buckles ... these images are either quick work-in-progress pics or designed to focus on the 'raingard' / chappe, rather than the suspension.)

Attachment: 48.08 KB
DSC_0004.JPG

Attachment: 80.5 KB
DSC_0012.JPG

Attachment: 158.87 KB
Full scabbard and suspension.jpg

Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 24 Dec, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's an image from period art of what could be a moveable buckle, similar to the one in the suspension system above. I don't have full details of this image; it appears in Turnbull's The book of the medieval knight (London: Arms and Armour Press, 1995).

Attachment: 248.13 KB
Battle-of-Auray-image-showing-scabbard-suspension-from-moveable-buckle.gif

Attachment: 249.55 KB
Battle-of-Auray-image-showing-scabbard-suspension-from-moveable-buckle-detail.gif
Detail

Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A quick cross-reference: there are some great images in the Wearing longswords in the 16th century thread started by Bill Carew ...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword suspensions
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: