Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Personalized Rondel Dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Personalized Rondel Dagger         Reply with quote

I wanted to share this customized rondel dagger with your all. This was a special request to have a 3/4" shorter handle and flame blackening to the handle. We tossed in some other new looks as well. The hand chiseled plates are done a bit different from the last batch and we added some faceting to the upper and lower parts of the handle. We took 3/8" off of either end of the handle to make it even.

I wanted to show it before and after the blackening.

Now for the flame!

More on these and other daggers here : http://www.imakeswords.com/daggers.htm

Thanks for looking.

Which one do you like best? Black or not black?

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I like the non blackened one better although the blackened one is certainly a good alternative.

I like this design and the faceting I think is better than the plainer version: One problem with the plain version is that it's simple but attractive geometric shaped handle just screams to me the need for some sort of file work. Those smooth surfaces look too machined modern to me, but the faceting goes a long way to make them more attractive and even minimal amounts of file work would give some textural richness to the handle.

The overall Rondel Dagger looks like a very good design to me. Big Grin Cool

( If I see this one on the Kult of Athena site it would be " tempting ", and I might even do a DIY job of doing my own file work Wink Big Grin ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ben Anbeek
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matthew

my two cents:

make the riser in the handle from a different material : brass, bronze, horn, bone, something gilded or a combination.
then the handle wouldn't be so modern looking i think

ben

Medieval Goods
http://www.theupperclass.nl
www.facebook.com/TheUpperClass.nl
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm liking the colored look. - though as Ben pointed out, adding to the riser (especially with a bronze) would make a real jump, bluing with bronze always looks like a good metal combination when put together. but i'd want to see alittle more bonze other than just the riser, maybe add bronze bushings on the top and bottom of the grip as well.

Jeans idea of file work - i think on the area it is turned would be best, a simple braid pattern maybe? i think that would work better for the non-colored look. there would be a tendency for the file work to get lost in the color.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have only skimmed the thread but I like the looks of it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the blackened version. I think it looks great just as it is. I'd buy one right now if I had the coin Laughing Out Loud
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its hard to say I quite like them both, though as has already been pointed out that the riser could be of different material, espicialy on the blackened handled version, but then some bronze or other spacers where the grip goes from hex to cilindrical would be cool.. either way they're cool as is, oh to have the tools to make something like this!
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the feedback fellas. You are all pretty much right where I am on these. We have done some with brass disks. One was even engine turned brass. The whole idea behind this product was all the customizing options. From file work to coloring to materials and disk sizes. I am even willing to do some pattern welded blades if requested. There are endless options. I am going to work on a Mokume set of disks for one sometime this year. I think wrought iron spaces would like great too. I just acquired some beautiful wrought anchor chain at my hammer-in.

I will be sure to show more options on this set up as we do them. I can't tell ya how much your feedback helps!

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have any intelligent criticism for these, but -

I don't care much for rondels, but I really like this one, expecially the faceted, dark-gripped version.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll be the dissenting voice. Happy The contrast of the flame blackening is nice, but if contrast is what the customer is after, why not a wood grip with leather cover? It would be more historic for grips that thick. Typically, all-steel rondel daggers have much slimmer grips. This is proportioned like a wood grip, but made with a much heavier material.

I just prefer historic designs. I admire the craftsmanship shown here and it has a unique look, just not the historic look I crave. But there is room in the marketplace for all kinds of takes on things and customers too. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

I agree with you. This design was one that Kerry came up with in the early 90's. I know he has based it off of a rare piece that he had seen, but most all steel rondels seem to be slim and two different sized disks.

I do these with wood handles. More often then not I spiral flute the handles. I will be sure to post examples done that way too. I went back looking for pics of the brass one we did last year but I couldn't find any. Several thousand pics to sort through. I will find it or just make another one.

Thanks for the input.

Here is an odd one that I did 3 years ago for a customer. The blade is 6150 core with crosses etched and a 1075/15N20 wrap. Cocobolo handle.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Personalized Rondel Dagger
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic