Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Very neat looking sword; I would love to handle/own one someday. Though I do have to say I wish the subtle taper of the guard in the concept drawing was reflected in the final piece - or maybe it's just not showing up in the photo.
It arrived, and I *LOVE* it!

Attachment: 120.08 KB
IMG_0857.JPG

Attachment: 97.92 KB
IMG_0856.JPG

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I went with basic black for the grip, you?

Whoops, forgot to answer this, but as you can see in the pictures, I went with purple. I figured that with the Landsknecht penchant for bright colors, I needed a color that stood out from the rest of my pieces. :)
Wow, that's a color - but I surprisingly like it.
I would love to see some pictures with hands holding it, just to get an idea of the size.
Ulli Martin wrote:
Wow, that's a color - but I surprisingly like it.
I would love to see some pictures with hands holding it, just to get an idea of the size.

I can't put both hands on while taking pictures with the phone, but this should give you a sense.

Attachment: 99.39 KB
IMG_0858.JPG

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Very neat looking sword; I would love to handle/own one someday. Though I do have to say I wish the subtle taper of the guard in the concept drawing was reflected in the final piece - or maybe it's just not showing up in the photo.

If you're referring to the guard diameter increasing as it goes out, I can see that in the photographs.

I wonder how much distal taper is in the blade? - quite a bit I suspect.

It looks like there is room for a four-armed green Thark of Barsoom to fit all his hands on that grip (maybe slip the pommel with the last hand)

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Wow--that purple turned out almost exactly as I imagined it would. Great choice for grip color. I wonder how much Albion made, and if it could be darkened a tid bit...
Kai Lawson wrote:
and if it could be darkened a tid bit...

I'm certain it can be darkened easily, but I'm glad Albion erred on the side of lighter. I suspect after I use this quite a bit more, it will become very dark. I use my swords a lot, even if just for solo drilling, and they all do this eventually.
Roger Hooper wrote:
I wonder how much distal taper is in the blade? - quite a bit I suspect.

There's certainly a good amount, but it isn't as much as some of the larger weapons you might see. There's the other thread talking about how "whippy" large two handers are, and all of the larger antique weapons I've handled have had quite a lot of "whip", but this sword isn't like that at all. The flex is similar to Albion's smaller XIIIs (like the Count, for example), meaning that on a weapon this size it isn't paper thin near the point. Because the taper isn't as extreme as some examples of large swords, it means the weapon pretty massive. It's no lightweight, and requires a good amount of control to weild properly, but that's not a complaint. Rather, this is the type of sword I really imagine for fending off multiple opponents or dealing with pikemen. It's moderately hefty, but in the way that when you pick it up you make an evil smile, not a feeble grunt. :)

I've already been doing some of Marozzo's spadone drills as well as some Montante drills with it, and it flows fantastically.
Got mine too and love it also!

Bill,

Since this forum is intended more for the use of product announcement I've started a thread in the Historical forum. Would you care to post some impressions there?
Hello sirs:

When I first held the completed Maximilian, I would have put close to the cost of the sword down in a bet that the OA weight was 4 lbs to 4 lbs 6 oz. Mike and I weighed it, and it was 5.1 lbs. Blew me away--not too much distal taper, but enough to make a difference
Wow. This is probably the most awesome sword I've ever seen from Albion-- and I am the proud owner of one of their swords!

I'm also very interested to see how the Tyrolean turns out!

Not to hijack a thread, but does anyone know if the Tyrolean could be ordered without the ricasso? Now that I've seen the blade, I'm starting to think that product might look better without it...
Jeremiah,

I could be wrong but I believe both swords share the same blade. I don't think the Tyrolean has a ricasso so much as simply a leather sleeve around the blades base. That's something you might want to contact Albion about.
Howard Waddell wrote:
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Specifications? I note on the Facebook page the price is increasing? Oh, will the Tyrolean share the same blade?

That is a great bold looking sword.

Cheers

GC

I want the guys to build a few more of them before we publish specs, but hopefully by Monday.

It does share the blade with the Tyrolean - which hopefully will be one of the next swords we will be introducing.

Best,

Howy

*** specs added to initial post ***

Thanks Howy

Looking good

Cheers

GC
Maximilian w. half-wire grip
Hi,

I finally got the photo's of a couple of Maximilian's from my photographer. One of the swords had a half-wire grip (which looks stunning IMO :-)). I have attached a photo of it - and here is a link to the rest of the photos (Albion Europe's Flickr page):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albioneurope/set...310348796/

Søren

Attachment: 94.19 KB
MaximilianHalfWire.jpg

To Soren, or whovever else took those pictures at Albion Europe - you really know how to photograph a sword.
Gorgeous. The half-wire grip looks amazing on this sword.
Gorgeous Pictures Soren!

Never been a huge fan of wire grips but I have to say that this must be the exception. It echoes the pommel and guards refinements beautifully. Marvellous sword.
Soren,
I have to agree with the others, the half wire wrap looks fabulous on this sword. The termination points at both ends are incredibly clean & precise. I have a Del Tin 5155 with the half wire wrap which is not even in the same league.
An excellent choice you've made, and what a sword this is in general.

Thanks for posting these elegant photos.

Jon
Since some of the photos show this sword with a full leather wrap, was the decision to go for the half wire wrap made after receiving the sword?

Just curious.

Jon
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: