Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Get Dressed For Battle\Battlemerchant Helms Reply to topic
 
Author Message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Get Dressed For Battle\Battlemerchant Helms         Reply with quote

I have been looking for a nice looking pigface helm for quite a while that would not break the bank.

I saw this one at get dressed for battle and it appears its a battlemerchant made helm as its available at around the same price.

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:2407.html

http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog...ieval.html

and the similar ebay helm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...TQ:GB:1123

Does anyone have an opinion on their helms? Any opinion on their service? Shipping is pretty high to the USA but I was not able to find a USA distributor for this helm.

I also saw this helm on ebay and it appears almost the same helm (But apparently is only slightly different).

Any opinions on either?

I wont be using for SCA or anything probably just occasional re-enactments and display only. I do want something that looks nice and is somewhere historically accurate.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message
Reece Nelson




Usergroups: None

Location: Overland Park KS
Likes: 2 pages
Posts: 247
PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: houndskull bascinet-cheap         Reply with quote

Hello Steven,

I have a buddy of mine that has used this same helm during a full contact tournament in Australia. You'll see in this video the pins came out...and throughout the event there were several times were the pins came undone :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0zRBeEPPU&am...AvES0wA%3D

I had asked him the same thing about this helmet and he told me to just save up for something that was custom made for me...and better quality Wink

Of course if you're using it to just wear around I think its " ok " The lines and shaping of the bascinet don't look correct to me...the top of the helm looks very rounded and the bottom looks to have a large opening that says "stab me here!" Eek! Razz

Course this can probably fixable with adding an appropriate liner Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Antonio Lamadrid




PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have just one helmet by Ulfberht/Battle-Merchant (not that one, unfortunately). Nothing fancy, but they are solid. Quality is very similar to the GDFB helmets that KoA sells, which is a different company than the GDFB of your link. A bit confusing. Confused

Battle-Merchant is a well known company this side of the pond. Sometimes their deliveries take longer than they should, but other than that, no complains.


By the way, I was told by GDFB Europe (same as KoA's) that in 2-3 weeks time they will have a new version of their Hounskull Bascinet. You may want to wait a bit to check that one out.
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: houndskull bascinet-cheap         Reply with quote

Reece Nelson wrote:
Hello Steven,

I have a buddy of mine that has used this same helm during a full contact tournament in Australia. You'll see in this video the pins came out...and throughout the event there were several times were the pins came undone :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0zRBeEPPU&am...AvES0wA%3D

I had asked him the same thing about this helmet and he told me to just save up for something that was custom made for me...and better quality Wink

Of course if you're using it to just wear around I think its " ok " The lines and shaping of the bascinet don't look correct to me...the top of the helm looks very rounded and the bottom looks to have a large opening that says "stab me here!" Eek! Razz

Course this can probably fixable with adding an appropriate liner Wink


Interesting thanks for the feedback Reece. Most combat I have seen with real steel weapons that I have seen pull their shots, but didnt look like those guys were! I wont be using the helm for the purpose though. I already have a sturdy Bascinet for SCA combat. I just was wondering if this helm is worth it for the price.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Lamadrid wrote:
I have just one helmet by Ulfberht/Battle-Merchant (not that one, unfortunately). Nothing fancy, but they are solid. Quality is very similar to the GDFB helmets that KoA sells, which is a different company than the GDFB of your link. A bit confusing. Confused

Battle-Merchant is a well known company this side of the pond. Sometimes their deliveries take longer than they should, but other than that, no complains.


By the way, I was told by GDFB Europe (same as KoA's) that in 2-3 weeks time they will have a new version of their Hounskull Bascinet. You may want to wait a bit to check that one out.


Thanks for the news Antonio, I may just wait to see what the new one looks like. That being said I got a bonus at work and the money burns a hole in my pocket:)

I think this helm looks pretty historical for the price range and looks quite similar to one of the bascinets in the churburg armory I believe which you can find photos of on this site.
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can I also ask if anyone knows if the Ulfberth helmets tend to run big or small?

I want to make sure it fits good as the shipping is pretty steep.

My head measures 60cm's circumference and the medium they sell says its internal circumference is 66cms, so that looks like the right one. (Probably assuming I dont want to add padding).

The large is 70cm's which I think would be quite a bit too big for my head.
View user's profile Send private message
Antonio Lamadrid




PostPosted: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be careful. In the Battle-Merchant web they say L size is 64 cm, and M 62. I think their measures are better (and more logical) than those of GDFB. You should ask for a confirmation.

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:2407.html

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:2406.html
View user's profile Send private message
Phil D.




PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven,
Kult of Athena is a US distributor for GDFB,You may want to check them out.Their pricing is good.Their customer service is great and will most likely answer all of your questions before buying.

http://www.kultofathena.com/gdfb.asp

Scroll down the attached page for all of the helmets that you been inquiring about + more.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

" I've had a wonderful evening but this wasn't it."
-- Graucho Marx --

"I remember when I lost my mind.There was something pleasant about that day...".

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antonio Lamadrid wrote:
Be careful. In the Battle-Merchant web they say L size is 64 cm, and M 62. I think their measures are better (and more logical) than those of GDFB. You should ask for a confirmation.

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:2407.html

http://www.battlemerchant.com/Helmets/Battle-...:2406.html


Thanks. I was referencing the http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/ website. It does look like the same helmet though...just one is giving full circumference of the helm and the other is giving what size head it will fit.

It's tricky because I think a medium would fit me, but if it does not shipping is a pain and quite costly.
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue 01 May, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phil D. wrote:
Steven,
Kult of Athena is a US distributor for GDFB,You may want to check them out.Their pricing is good.Their customer service is great and will most likely answer all of your questions before buying.

http://www.kultofathena.com/gdfb.asp

Scroll down the attached page for all of the helmets that you been inquiring about + more.


Thanks Phil, it appears they are the distributor for the gdfb.com (The global site) and not the http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/ or battlemerchant. The helm that I like is the one those sites have so I dont know if KultofAthena would carry it.

I did send them an email asking about their Bascinets though so thank you.
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Hrouda




PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Pearson wrote:
Thanks Phil, it appears they are the distributor for the gdfb.com (The global site) and not the http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/ or battlemerchant. The helm that I like is the one those sites have so I dont know if KultofAthena would carry it.

I did send them an email asking about their Bascinets though so thank you.


There's some good information regarding the GDFB helms in the GDFB Helm thread. I currently fight in a modified GDFB bascinet and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.



 Attachment: 79.11 KB, Downloaded: 108 times
[ Download ]

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hrouda wrote:
Steven Pearson wrote:
Thanks Phil, it appears they are the distributor for the gdfb.com (The global site) and not the http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/ or battlemerchant. The helm that I like is the one those sites have so I dont know if KultofAthena would carry it.

I did send them an email asking about their Bascinets though so thank you.


There's some good information regarding the GDFB helms in the GDFB Helm thread. I currently fight in a modified GDFB bascinet and would be happy to answer any questions you might have.


Interesting thread, thanks for Sharing Scott, nice kit!!

I cant seem to find anyone that has reviews on the Ulfberth\Battlemerchant Houndskull Bascinet. I am leaning towards buying the medium because I already have a good fighting helm for SCA so this will be more for display. I would still like it to fit though. Since I'm not padding the helmet I think based on the medium being internal circumference of 66cm's and my head being approx 60cm's the medium should fit just fine with just the as shipped liner.

It's hard to spend a decent amount of money on it when it's overseas and I cant hold it and try it on before buying it and if I have to ship it back it will be a pain.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. Will post some impressions\reviews here once it finally arrives.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Hrouda




PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Pearson wrote:
... I cant seem to find anyone that has reviews on the Ulfberth\Battlemerchant Houndskull Bascinet. I am leaning towards buying the medium because I already have a good fighting helm for SCA so this will be more for display. I would still like it to fit though. Since I'm not padding the helmet I think based on the medium being internal circumference of 66cm's and my head being approx 60cm's the medium should fit just fine with just the as shipped liner.

In this case, the medium should be OK for display and costume. Happy

Quote:
I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. Will post some impressions\reviews here once it finally arrives.

Please do!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I emailed kult of athena and the guy responded and said he could get me this helm. He said to respond with which size I wanted and he would send me a purchase link. I did that and never got a response. I even sent another followup a few days later and still no response.

Any who has dealt with kultof athena have this issue? Are they just super busy maybe? Its been over a week with no response.
View user's profile Send private message
Steven Pearson




Usergroups: None


Posts: 30
PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So its been about a year. I did get the helmet from Kult of Athena, I just called them and got them on the phone and they got the helmet for me even though they don't normally carry it. It took a few months since they special ordered it but wow did it save a lot of money! I paid like 125$ for the helmet and only about 20$ shipping.

So the helmet...for the price I think it is fantastic honestly. Is it perfect? No, but the lines are pretty good and its pretty well made for a sub 200$ helmet. I haven't seen any pigface helms that looked near this good even at the 300$ range. How does it hold up to blows? No idea since I don't fight in it, have another helm for that.

Question for the experienced armorers on here....How do you normally get Vervelles off to affix an aventail? U bought the aventail but it did not come attached. I figured the vervelles were like screws but when I grab them with a wrench and turn them they just spin. Do they have to be peened out with a hammer? If so I would have to rip out the helmet liner since its stitched on..

Some pics



View user's profile Send private message
Mart Shearer




Usergroups: None

Location: Jackson, MS, USA
Posts: 455
PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vervelles don't unscrew. Perhaps a picture will suffice.


 Attachment: 169.96 KB, Viewed: 901 times
Churburg Aventail.png


ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
View user's profile Send private message
Scott Hrouda




PostPosted: Sat 23 Nov, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven, I'm happy to hear you had a good experience with KOA and are pleased with the bascinet.

The lines on mine aren't perfect, the visor lacks some subtle shaping, and the breaths have room for improvement; but at $145 it's a good value. Happy

As Mart showed, the vervelles do not unscrew. You place the aventail band holes over the vervelles and hold the works together with a waxed linen string strung through the vervelles.

You might end up sewing your own liner for comfort, even if the bascinet is just for costume. Mine was sewn and glued in place; not much fun to remove.

This bascinet does seem to hold up well to rattan combat. After a few years of fighting a handfull of dents are barely visible to the naked eye, but that's to be expected from any SCA helm. Fortunately, I've never had my "bell rung" in this helm.

Have fun modifying and playing with your new bascinet!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Get Dressed For Battle\Battlemerchant Helms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum



All contents © Copyright 2003-2013 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum