Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help with Anglo-saxon and viking research Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Help with Anglo-saxon and viking research         Reply with quote

Hello,

A friend and I are thinking of starting a Viking kit and a Anglo-saxon kit respectfully, but neither of us know as much as we should about those cultures.

I was wondering if some people familiar with these cultures could suggest or link to some books, articles, sites, forums or anything that could help us learn more about them. Specifically we're interested in Anglo-saxon and Viking clothes, arms, armour and daily life from about 800 to 1000.

Any help would be appreciated. Happy

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the start, hurstwick site is great:
http://www.hurstwic.org/
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: research question         Reply with quote

I would also add http://www.regia.org/ as a good starting point, but would add that the period you state is a long one during which there were developments in weapons and armour and in particular art styles. Among many considerations It may be worthwhile considering items with one given art style to suggest a certain period or geographical location for your intended presentation. One word of advice, research research research, okay thats three but best advice don't rush in and buy the first bit of arms and armour you can, there is much nonsence to be purchased by the ill-informed, ill-advised and plain gullible, start from the bottom up, get good footwear and soft kit, working upwards and outwards.
Good luck with your aims, and I'm sure you would recieve help on this forum should you choose to do so.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a good site also:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/

www.viking-shield.com
David Clark

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The English Warrior from earliest times till 1066 by Steve Pollington...BUY IT! It is the best book, IMO, for an all over look at the Saxon warrior class during the period you are interested in. Tons of info, charts, and other awesomeness abound within its pages.
Andrew W

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For clothing, Gale Owen-Crocker, Dress in Anglo-Saxon England (2004). It's got some issues and many finer points that I disagree with, but it brings information together better than anything else available.

If you can tackle a book in German, Inga Hägg's Die Textilfunde aus dem Hafen von Haithabu (1984) is good.

The overviews of Viking clothing written by C. A. Priest are, from what I've personally fact checked, very well researched. http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As well as the Pollington and Crocker books (which are essential for Anglo Saxon studies) you'll find these interesting:-

Ian Stephenson's "Late Anglo Saxon Army" and "Viking Warfare". Ian's books can be frustrating and I find myself disagreeing with him on many conclusions but they are undeniably useful for the references ot more in depth studies.

Thor Ewing's "Viking Age Clothing".

Paddy Griffith's "Viking Art of War" (which was, regardless of what Stephenson's publisher's might think, the first modern study of the subject).

Else Ostergard's "Norse Clothing Patterns"

Then, if you want a couple of academic studies of the military situation;
Richard Abels' "Lordship and Military Obligation in Anglo Saxon England"
Hollister's "Anglo Saxon MIlitary Institutions on the Eve of the Norman Conquest.

Lavelle's "Alfred's Wars: Sources and Interpretations of Anglo-Saxon Warfare in the Viking Age".

That should keep you going.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll try to get my hands on the books you all suggested and the links you provided have already helped quite a bit. Happy
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Josh Wilson

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have some documentaries in my playlist here that you may find interesting and helpfull

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL90DFE9...re=mh_lolz
William P

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one question regarding saxons and vikings in king alfreds time,

one historical novel i have, bernard cornwells uthred series, mentions helmets with boar like crests, cheek pieces and even a boar crest in one instance, considering alfred the greats time was the second half of the 9th century, doesnt this array of helmets seems alittle anachronistic?
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Viking/Saxon         Reply with quote

Hi William

Conventional wisdom would say that Mr Cornwall was using some artistic license in his discription of the helms, I believe in the first book of the series he also has a Viking Jarl with eagle or raven wings adorning his helm, so perhaps best to be taken with a pinch of salt and continue to enjoy the series.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
William P

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Viking/Saxon         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Hi William

Conventional wisdom would say that Mr Cornwall was using some artistic license in his discription of the helms, I believe in the first book of the series he also has a Viking Jarl with eagle or raven wings adorning his helm, so perhaps best to be taken with a pinch of salt and continue to enjoy the series.

best
Dave

oh trust me i enjoy the series, (im reading the latest book now)

i was just checking what the helmet fashion was around the time the series is set

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help with Anglo-saxon and viking research
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic