Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of later bastard sword hilts Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Random additions. Details unknown.

The second one there has been up for sale over at Hermann Historica. Auction 57, lot 3660.

Quote:
A German thrusting sword,

circa 1500/1510. Slender, tapering hollow-triangular blade. Slightly S-shaped curved quillons with incised decoration on the obverse side. The leather-covering of the grip replaced. Round pommel with surrounding, deeply chiselled decor. Length 121.5 cm.
Dave Leppo

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BIG BUMP:

Any examples of scabbards or mounts to go along with these? My project is finally progressing.

-Dave
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Sorry to only just see this now. Try the Images of late 15th/early 16th C scabbard details? Spotlight Topic for some ideas, if it's not too late ...

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan....The circa 1560 German hand-and-a-half you posted on page two....Is this the inspiration for the Hanwei Rhinelander? Except for the lower hilt rings on the original, it looks very similar. Especially the pommel. Yes?..............McM
Nathan G

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

REALLY good looking swords here. Were these complex hilts a result of superior metalworkers trying to show off their skill (basically meaning they were just for looks) or did they serve a purpose?

Some of them with just the two rings or a single ring definitely look like they serve functions as somewhere else you can grab the sword or parry with but some of them are also kind of over the top ornate.
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe the structure to be fully functional, while the decoration is fashionable.

The rings extending forward towards the tip of the sword protect the forefinger when fingering the cross, while those that extend towards the pommel protect the rest of the hand.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Nathan G

PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The later swords coming out of areas that are in modern day Germany are in my opinion some of the best looking swords ever made. I wonder what their reputation was at the time as far as both form and function go?
Aleksander Ricnik

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
i am new at the forum, and i would like to know where can I buy a original "hand-and-a-half sword"?
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good morning,

And welcome to the forum Aleksander!

As this thread is a discussion specifically talking about compound hilted longsword hilts I imagine you will be encouraged to either try out the search feature or begin a new discussion. If you start a new thread it would help to define "original". Do you mean a modern custom made sword, or an original antique? There are several manufacturers of high quality reproductions, that while not "original" may still fulfill you requirements.

Cheers,
Matthew

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aleksander Ricnik wrote:
Hello,
i am new at the forum, and i would like to know where can I buy a original "hand-and-a-half sword"?

Check out the myArmoury Links page http://www.myArmoury.com/links.html for antiques and reproductions.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some magnificent examples from Eltz Castle. Should you have closer shots of these superb specimens, don't hesitate to post.
Attached is shot of the Castle itself, epic scenery really. I need to make an A&A tour of Germany, and soon!

Attachment: 54.86 KB
Castle_Eltz-Burg_Eltz.jpg

Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Search all around the web for publications or closer shots to no avail. If you do have something, don't be shy!
These are exactly what I was looking for when starting this thread. Hollow ground large blades, with a later style hilt.
I have a moat regent or earl that would look amazing mounted that way.

Hum...after all, it's just a 5 hours drive from Paris...
Mark T

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see more images ... especially after seeing the detail you've captured at other places. I'm personally interested in seeing more of the longsword at the top right, as well as the messer at the bottom.

Five hours is a perfect length for a road trip ... I'm sure a few of us would even chip in a couple of Euros each for the fuel! Come on, Julien, you know you want to! Laughing Out Loud

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark T wrote:
Five hours is a perfect length for a road trip ... I'm sure a few of us would even chip in a couple of Euros each for the fuel! Come on, Julien, you know you want to! Laughing Out Loud

Ahah. Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark. I'll see what I can do and if I can sell this to my wife as a romantic week end trip Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are published in one of the books on my shelves, but honestly, I've no idea where. Sharing, anyway. Happy

Attachment: 881.39 KB
P1020542.png

Attachment: 743.22 KB
P1020544.png

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some more complex-hilted bastard swords/longswords. These are from Fischer Auction House. It's likely these are all historismus versions, or in the style of the 16th century.

Notice the backwards finger-ring... indicating a left-hand weapon. Authentic left-hand swords of this period were very uncommon... more indication of historismus.

Attachment: 86.64 KB
Bastard, dt or schweiz.um 1520th a.jpg
Bastard Sword, circa 1520

Attachment: 94.81 KB
Bastard, Lucerne, in 1530, vascular copy a.jpg
Bastard Sword, in the style of Lucerne circa 1530

Attachment: 61.2 KB
Bastard, South German or Swiss, 1st quarter 16th century.jpg
Bastard Sword, South German or Swiss, 1st quarter 16th century

Attachment: 67.1 KB
Bastard, Swiss, circa 1550 b.jpg
Bastard Sword, Swiss, circa 1550

Attachment: 75.51 KB
Half Sword, Italian, second half of 16th century.jpg
Hand-and-a-half sword, Italian, second half of 16th century

Attachment: 68.04 KB
Half Sword, Swiss or German, around 1530.jpg
Hand-and-a-half sword, Swiss or German, around 1530

Attachment: 70.49 KB
Half Sword, Swiss, circa 1550.jpg
Hand-and-a-half sword, Swiss, circa 1550

Attachment: 74.06 KB
Half Sword, German, about 1520 a.jpg
Hand-and-a-half sword, German, about 1520

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's two from the Thomas Del Mar Ltd auction.

Lot 164:
A GERMAN MILITARY BROADSWORD, CIRCA 1560-80 with double-edged blade of flattened-hexagonal section formed with a short fuller on each side (tip bent), stamped with a latten-lined running wolf mark on one side (small losses), rectangular ricasso struck with a series of marks, steel hilt comprising a pair of straight swelling quillons with bud-shaped terminals, outer ring-guard swelling in the centre, off-set lower ring-guard joining the upper, plain inner-guard incorporating a thumb-loop, faceted conical pommel cut with notches around the centre, later leather-covered wooden grip, the pommel and ring-guards each chiselled with a pattern of foliage, and one quillon incised with and arsenal number on the inner face 112.2cm; 44B in blade A number of swords of related form are preserved in Schloss Ambras. See A.V.B. Norman 1980, p.114. £6000-8000

Lot 166:
A GERMAN MILITARY sword, THIRD QUARTER OF THE 16TH CENTURY with straight blade double-edged towards the tip, cut with a pair of long slender fullers of differing length along the back-edge and stamped with a series of marks, three pairs of sickles and the letters 'ONO' arranged vertically with a pair of stars between on each side, the blade tip very slightly shortened, blackened steel hilt of ribbon-like bars, comprising a pair of straight quillons with bud-shaped terminals, outer ring-guard swelling towards the centre, knuckle-guard, an additional forward arm joining the knuckle-guard to the ring and joined to the centre of the knuckle-guard by a further s-shaped bar, a pair of arms joined to the ring-guard by a pair of diagonal bars, inner-guard formed of a saltire arrangement of slender rounded bars, faceted plummet-shaped pommel, original leather and rayskin-covered two-stage moulded grip, and retaining some early blackened finish 82.5cm; 32I in blade This sword belongs to a distinctive group associated with Schloss Ambras, Tyrol. A number of swords in this group have blades by the Bavarian court swordsmith Ulrich Diefstetter. The so-called sickle mark on the present sword is encountered on blades of both Italian and German type: a number are stamped 'Ferara' and 'Genoa' and further examples are preserved in the Landeszeughaus, Graz. £3000-4000

Attachment: 18.95 KB
lot164.jpg
Lot 164
A GERMAN MILITARY BROADSWORD, CIRCA 1560-80

Attachment: 20.15 KB
lot166.jpg
Lot 166
A GERMAN MILITARY sword, THIRD QUARTER OF THE 16TH CENTURY

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Swiss Sword, circa 1520

Attachment: 235.43 KB
Swiss-Sword-circa-1520.png
Swiss Sword, circa 1520

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another beautiful piece, circa 1550

Attachment: 201.67 KB
img126.png
Swiss or South German, circa 1550
Sometimes referred to as an "Astknauf Sword" or "Swiss Saber"

J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Here are some more complex-hilted bastard swords/longswords. These are from Fischer Auction House. It's likely these are all historismus versions, or in the style of the 16th century.

Notice the backwards finger-ring... indicating a left-hand weapon. Authentic left-hand swords of this period were very uncommon... more indication of historismus.

Historismus! A great and useful word. Actually I really like the example here.

Funny I'm just now rereading Oakeshott's European Weapons and today was the part on the swiss and bavarian swords. Some really nice ones here in this latest posts.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Examples of later bastard sword hilts
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: