Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > dropdown lists on site menubar Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Briet Sparks

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: dropdown lists on site menubar         Reply with quote

I love this site and would like to see dropdown menus for the main menu. Easy to add, better ease-of-use.

For example:

Albums (mouse hover)
>Antique Arms and Armour
>Reproduction Arms and Armour
>Museum Photographs
etc...

Forums
>Historical Arms Talk
>myArmoury.com Features Talk
>>Suggestions, Requests and Support
>>Testing Zone
>Off-topic Talk
etc...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate your suggestion. I don't particularly agree with it as I dislike greatly websites that have every single end-point shoved into a navigation bar. I would do another solution to solve the (absolutely spot-on) need that you've expressed. But that's neither here nor there, because...

myArmoury.com's design (as it is) was thrown together in 2003 and has never been changed, save for a few minor tweaks here and there.

This is primarily because it's been a hobby project of mine and I do not receive any income or compensation for the work I've put into it.

The whole site needs to be completely redone. Let's face it... it's a mess. The whole thing needs updated and modernized.

But it's a monumental task and one that I would only take on were I to be compensated for it since it would require that I do the work in lieu of paid work. I just can't afford to redo the site. Sad

If the subject matter were more popular, I could find a means to monetize this site and make it more self-sufficient. Unfortunately, the community and the markets surrounding it are just too small to make a significant financial impact.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think drop-down menus might be a really bad idea for myArmoury. The "vintage" design of the site and the forum is exactly what I like about them -- I grew up with the simpler look of the Internet in the 1990s and I often find today's Flash and Java and other interactive features quite distracting. It's also worth noting that an old-fashioned design loads much faster, so it benefits people in areas with poor or slow connections in the sense that more of the bandwidth would go towards loading content (especially pictures in articles and posts) instead of being wasted on loading the website's basic features over and over.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > dropdown lists on site menubar
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic