Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard for SL ClontarfDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Scabbard for SL Clontarf         Reply with quote

I don't know why...but I love red scabbards..and I really like all wood scabbards. I am not a major stickler for purely historical , although I do prefer historical to pure fantasy. Here is my latest attempt at a scabbard. I have done a few so far and am learning more and more as I go.

This one is poplar, sandwich style, not routed and I left it purposely a bit chunky. I think it fits with this particular sword. I finished it with a red alcohol dye and a satin top coat. It actually ended up a darker, almost brownish rust color than I expected but I still think it works. The scroll work was done with a very fine dremel engraving bit and is meant to reflect the basic design on the Clontarf cross guard. I was going to inlay some twisted steel wire into the latitude grooves...but decided against it. I may add those in the future but who knows. The bridge I kept pretty simple in its profile as I felt that fit the aesthetics of the sword. It is maple and is finished simply in several coats of mineral oil buffed in. I lined the scabbard with wool felt and it provides a super smooth draw.

Thanks for looking.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought some red stain a couple months ago to finish off my Clotarf SL. This might get me off my butt to do it. Very nice and simple. Love it.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm with you on the appeal of red. It's also nice to see how clean and nice looking a tip can look without a chape. I know chape-less scabbards are underrepresented in most repros.
Dremel-ing leather is a new concept to me. Did you find it had any pros or cons versus normal tooling? From the photos the end result looks to be pretty similar.
Looks nice! Decorated enough to keep it interesting but minimal enough that it still looks very clean. It fits the design of the hilt very well.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The scabbard is not leathered covered, but wood. So the dremeling was done in wood.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, how did I miss that one? Come to think of it you did mention that right from the get go...
Well forget what I said about tooling and just hang onto the comments about clean lines and a cool color, then.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys and what Greg said, its a non leather covered scabbard, wood only.
The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 Mar, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicely accomplished, Bryan. Every bit as nice as the scabbard you did for The Reeve I
have that was once yours. B-)

I also owned a Clontarf at one time. Still a hope of mine to add a more traditional lookng
Viking Sword back into my collection -- like those wide blades. But the little extra bulk of
the scabbard you made does it proud ...
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Scabbard for SL Clontarf         Reply with quote

The Clontarf's scabbard looks superb, especially the colour.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I LOVE the effect of the alcohol based dye, as opposed to a traditional Minwax type oil dye. Used to use alcohol dyes on gunstocks - not sure why I have never done this with sword scabbards. Stunning work as always Happy.
In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jul, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice work, I like that you carried on the 'vine' motif on the scabbard. It really did turn out well
David L Smith
MSG (RET)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard for SL ClontarfDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic