Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shoes for 9th C anglo-saxon kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Max L

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Shoes for 9th C anglo-saxon kit         Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation of a craftsman or vendor selling shoes that would be appropriate for a 9th c saxon kit?
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: shoes         Reply with quote

Check out Bohemond, he has a stall at Pennsic every year and does favor early models of foot wear. And if you're in Canada there is CuirFL, though he does more work for the larp scene which provides for a good percentage of his business in the Quebec LARP scene. He does movie contracts too ( 300) and attends a couple of New France/Colonial period events with the proper gear. I'm sure some of the forumites here that come from the other side of the pond will have suggestions too. There is a great early period group Wulfheodenas which always has spectacular gear.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Max L

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They bohemond shoes look perfect for what I'm looking for, thanks!
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you M. Hudon, the Bohemond boots also helped me out.
Max L

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just ordered the anglo-Scandinavian shoes. Don't think I'll get the for a few weeks because of Pennsic, but I'll report on my thoughts (if I remember)
Aed Thompson

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(Edit: ahh too late. Still, hopefully someone will find these recommendations useful ! )

If you have plenty to spend and don't mind waiting a while for them to be made, Graziano Dal Barco from Veneto, Italy, http://www.historicalitalianshoes.com/darkage-footwear.asp produces some of the best historic shoes I have ever seen. We have bought from him twice (two different c9th designs) and were extremely happy with the result. The hand-stitched ones are very pricey, but he also does versions of most of the designs shown on the site with machine stitching at roughly half the price.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a cheaper but still convincing pair, Time Warrior's off-the-peg Jorvik-based ankle boots are excellent quality and look great, although they do make use of hob-nails on the sole which is the only major drawback.
http://test.histrenact.co.uk/timewarrior/inde...ucts_id=13 . People I have spoken to who have used these have been very pleased with them.

Aed Thompson
Thegns of Mercia
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hobenail thing remind me of something. I've seen scottish targes which you canspina spike around into it to add a spike to the shield and remove at will. For a the more practical people (not wanting to scarp up a indoor floor but don't to own second set of period footwear to carry around to slip when on indoors, why not design a period style shoe with holes in the bottom on minuture spike gripping section so you could screw in the spikes and remove them when walking into a room?
Max L

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aed Thompson wrote:
(Edit: ahh too late. Still, hopefully someone will find these recommendations useful ! )

If you have plenty to spend and don't mind waiting a while for them to be made, Graziano Dal Barco from Veneto, Italy, http://www.historicalitalianshoes.com/darkage-footwear.asp produces some of the best historic shoes I have ever seen. We have bought from him twice (two different c9th designs) and were extremely happy with the result. The hand-stitched ones are very pricey, but he also does versions of most of the designs shown on the site with machine stitching at roughly half the price.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a cheaper but still convincing pair, Time Warrior's off-the-peg Jorvik-based ankle boots are excellent quality and look great, although they do make use of hob-nails on the sole which is the only major drawback.
http://test.histrenact.co.uk/timewarrior/inde...ucts_id=13 . People I have spoken to who have used these have been very pleased with them.

It's likely I'll be needing a second pair at some point, thanks for those recommendations, they both look great!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Shoes for 9th C anglo-saxon kit
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic