Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > [Review] Albion Cluny. (New Low in Albion Quality)Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please rest assured any issues that are brought to Albion's attention will definitely be addressed. I personally know several of the Albion crew and can say without a doubt as an uninvolved party that the people at Albion Swords love historic swords and are as passionate as anyone about offering quality, accurate swords to the public. This is the basic paradigm of the company and they have stood by that as long as I've known about them. As anything made by hand by a small company, there can be slight variations in their products occasionally. But I'm confident that Howy, Mike and the rest of the crew will always go the extra mile to make sure their customers are happy.
Constant and true.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To echo what has been said - Yes this should not have gone out the door, however we all make mistakes from time to time, it is not the mistake that should really elicit comment, it is what happens next. I am certain you can rest assured Albion will do all it can to rectify this.

As regards 'seconds' going to the European market/Albion Europe; I think this is totally unfounded. 100 or even 15 years ago it would be possible to offload your junk on other markets, but now in the internet age, borders don't matter, word gets around and as this review has shown, a bad review in Europe elicits strong words in the US and other places. Albion is not run by stupid people and only stupid people would think they could sell junk in Europe and nobody else would notice.

Its a mistake and not a policy and it will get sorted out.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
To echo what has been said - Yes this should not have gone out the door, however we all make mistakes from time to time, it is not the mistake that should really elicit comment, it is what happens next. I am certain you can rest assured Albion will do all it can to rectify this.

As regards 'seconds' going to the European market/Albion Europe; I think this is totally unfounded. 100 or even 15 years ago it would be possible to offload your junk on other markets, but now in the internet age, borders don't matter, word gets around and as this review has shown, a bad review in Europe elicits strong words in the US and other places. Albion is not run by stupid people and only stupid people would think they could sell junk in Europe and nobody else would notice.

Its a mistake and not a policy and it will get sorted out.

Tod

Tod? gen laston ( I hear you) - but in SOME ways, this worries me more....

"As regards 'seconds' going to the European market/Albion Europe; I think this is totally unfounded. 100 or even 15 years ago it would be possible to offload your junk on other markets, but now in the internet age, borders don't matter, word gets around and as this review has shown, a bad review in Europe elicits strong words in the US and other places. Albion is not run by stupid people and only stupid people would think they could sell junk in Europe and nobody else would notice"

That would correctly imply that the defects noted could JUST as easily show up in the US, or any other country. The company is "the company" - Internationally. They must therefore deal with "the issues" - which are NOT regional in nature.

Totally personal - I also hear you about "how a company deals with a major defect" - yes, it IS the sign of a good company to address these issues - but I ask? In the US, we have GM ... they address issues (it seems) every HOUR. Then, we have Honda - whose goal APPEARS to be quality out the door, WITHOUT issues. An imperfect analogy, but one that has some bearing.... "post problem fixes" tend to severely damage any companies reputation. Just a fact that any maker of any item, from swords to coffee makers, needs to understand.. Human memory tends to be long.

Regardless of the mfg at the nature of a controversy - I applaud the original poster for pointing out TRUE DOCUMENTED issues to his brothers that might impact them in a purchasing decision. Swords, cars, refrigerators, fast food.... EVERY company has up, and down eras. Our job is to be vigilant regarding the DOCUMENTED quality of a product, as actually RECEIVED. It really helps to have a GREAT board, with people that have no Financial interest in any firm, coupled with the desire to just HELP their brothers as best they can, relating REAL DATA.

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I for one, am curious how this turns out.
Lee Pupo

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Despite all of this, I think that I'll continue saving my pennies for a Munich. Hopefully a vote of confidence will serve alongside the complaints of customers old and new in spurring Albion to reclaim their reputation.
Brian Nelson

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is so distressing about this is that there are multiple problems, all occurring at completely different manufacturing stages, that ALL should have gotten this sword thrown in the scrap pile. It's inexcusable to imagine that whoever did the bluing didn't notice the leather, or vice versa. The same goes with the grind, the edges, etc. Whoever worked on this sword should be losing his/her job at Albion.

With that said, having dealt with their CS in the past, they'll make it right.
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be fair to Albion for a moment:

Apart from the lack of bluing upon the hilt fittings (an appalling error), any of the problems pointed out with this sword, taken by themselves, would be minor flaws in an otherwise excellent product. All of these coupled together do make for a highly substandard piece when dealing with the Museum Line's expectation of quality.

I suspect that this may be a prototype that was shipped out to Albion Europe by mistake, and there was a failure to visually inspect the piece for quality before it was shipped to the customer. The alternative is that it was a piece that was used by another customer and then returned and re-sold without being refurbished.

Speculation is pointless, however, and as far as that goes, it is a matter for Albion to look into for themselves.

Either way, it is encouraging that both Peter Johnsson and Howard Waddell have personally addressed the issue. As they're some of the top guys at Albion (I know Peter doesn't actually work for them except as a freelance designer but I imagine he does have some influence), there will very likely be some care taken with the next few batches to ensure that any such shortfall in quality doesn't happen again.
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
To be fair to Albion for a moment:

Apart from the lack of bluing upon the hilt fittings (an appalling error), any of the problems pointed out with this sword, taken by themselves, would be minor flaws in an otherwise excellent product. .

Well, I only have Hector's post to go by, but judging from it, there's no possible way basically dysfunctional blade like that would be minor flaw on it's own...

Especially in a sword that strives for great accuracy and quality as far as details or geometry etc. go.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never seen anything short of excellence from any Albion I've owned (seven so far). Still, things happen even in the tightest run shops. Hopefully, Albion's customer service is still up to their usual legendary standards and this will soon be but a memory.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been a while since this sword was received. Some sort of solution must have been arrived at by now.
Hector A.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
It's been a while since this sword was received. Some sort of solution must have been arrived at by now.

Update on the situation: I contacted Søren of Albion Europe as soon as he came back from his vacation, informing him of the situation. I preferred to contact him rather then Albion US directly, simply because it is easier for me as i live in the EU and Søren will be paying the shipping costs.

He will contact Albion US to get a new sword made for me, i don't know how long this will take... or have any further updates about it, but i will send him an email next week to get an update.

Hopefully the next sword will be perfect, as all Albion's should be.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Hector A."]
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Well, I don't know about perfect but I am sure your replacement will be a very fine specimen.

I can see some few pits on a pommel and/or guard as completely acceptable. I have a Solingen with a grip seam that wanders a bit and is a little more noticeable than I would find absolutely ideal but I still am very happy with the sword and didn't complain to albion about this one small defect- if we even want to call it a defect.

"Perfect" isn't really something to strive for in a handmade product I think but that's just me.

Expecting an exceptionally well-finished and consistent sword from albion is absolutely what I would expect.
Dean F. Marino

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Update on the situation: I contacted Søren of Albion Europe as soon as he came back from his vacation, informing him of the situation. I preferred to contact him rather then Albion US directly, simply because it is easier for me as i live in the EU and Søren will be paying the shipping costs.

He will contact Albion US to get a new sword made for me, i don't know how long this will take... or have any further updates about it, but i will send him an email next week to get an update.

Just an opinion - that is ABSOLUTELY the proper response. Please let us know the progress of this situation, as time moves forward....

In edhil, hai edhil. In edain, hai edain.
Hector A.

PostPosted: Thu 02 Oct, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update: My sword will be arriving in a little under a month, i'm exited, but i hope it won't turn to disappointment once more. I expect great things from this sword and i will keep the forum informed of when it arrives. I will also review it as i did the last one to see if the problems have been addressed and if others didn't arise.

Keep tuned.
Francis B.

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hector A. wrote:
Update: My sword will be arriving in a little under a month, i'm exited, but i hope it won't turn to disappointment once more. I expect great things from this sword and i will keep the forum informed of when it arrives. I will also review it as i did the last one to see if the problems have been addressed and if others didn't arise.

Keep tuned.

Have you recieved the new sword?
Hector A.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have received for a few days now my new Cluny and it is as close to perfect as one can get!
It has none of the problems of the old one, and the handling is divine.
I will go more in dept later when i find the time, but Albion really put a lot of work into this one and it shows, i am very pleased with it and i can safely say its the best handling longsword on the market, even the famed Brescia feels clumsy in comparison (i'm not saying the Brescia is a bad sword, but the Cluny in the handling department is far better).
If you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful, I am glad you have no received a sword worthy of the price tag!!
Now don't go and do what I normally do and damage the sword during the first day of handling.

While I was in Paris last week, I was sorely tempted to visit the Cluny museum just to see if I could play around with the sword in the gift shop. Unfortunately time did not allow for such an indulgence. Sad
Jerry Monaghan

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Hector
I am so glad that the sword you received is in the condition that albion states on there web well done hope you enjoy

Regards

Jerry Monaghan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > [Review] Albion Cluny. (New Low in Albion Quality)Product Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: