Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Seax and Holbein dagger from Tods Stuff Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Seax and Holbein dagger from Tods Stuff         Reply with quote

Hi All,

The first knife is a Seax with an Owen Bush blade and the rest by me, designed by the customer.

This is monster of a knife with a 19" blade with a 10mm/3/8" at its thickest and a veg tan scabbard with bronze and copper fittings. The handle is a type of maple and the hilt furniture is steel.

The second knife is based on a design by Holbein the Younger from a catalogue of his and is dated around 1537. The blade is around 30cm/12" and is 8mm thick and is deeply hollow ground with a reinforced point. The grip is antler and the fittings on the scabbard and hilt are bronze. Sculpting by Matt Rowe. This piece is available for sale.

I hope you like them.

Tod

Attachment: 221.88 KB
IMGP3979.JPG

Attachment: 209.73 KB
IMGP3980.JPG

Attachment: 213.79 KB
IMGP3981.JPG

Attachment: 135.32 KB
IMGP3982.JPG

Attachment: 200.68 KB
IMGP3984.JPG

Attachment: 262.96 KB
IMGP3974.JPG

Attachment: 227.38 KB
IMGP3975.JPG

Attachment: 262.8 KB
IMGP3976.JPG

Attachment: 227.75 KB
IMGP3977.JPG

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Lloyd Winter

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lovely Tod, absolutely lovely.
How much are you asking for the Holbein piece?
Aaron Hoard

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That Holbein is stunning.
Philip Dyer

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Seax and Holbein dagger from Tods Stuff         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Hi All,

The first knife is a Seax with an Owen Bush blade and the rest by me, designed by the customer.

This is monster of a knife with a 19" blade with a 10mm/3/8" at its thickest and a veg tan scabbard with bronze and copper fittings. The handle is a type of maple and the hilt furniture is steel.

The second knife is based on a design by Holbein the Younger from a catalogue of his and is dated around 1537. The blade is around 30cm/12" and is 8mm thick and is deeply hollow ground with a reinforced point. The grip is antler and the fittings on the scabbard and hilt are bronze. Sculpting by Matt Rowe. This piece is available for sale.

I hope you like them.

Tod

Are you sure that the first one is a Seax, it looks like a simplified Bowie knife. I thought most seaxes didn't have handguards
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phillip Dyer wrote
Quote:
Are you sure that the first one is a Seax, it looks like a simplified Bowie knife. I thought most seaxes didn't have handguards

in response to what I wrote, which was
Quote:

A fair point. I can only really think of one which had a guard, though a bit earlier - they did do it so there is precedence, and yes the blade is quite Bowie in form, but is still within the bounds of Viking work so in combination yes there is a certain 'Bowieness' about it but the elements are individually 'Seaxy' combined with 'Swordy' of the period. So it is not a classic seax, but nonetheless it is what the customer ordered and called a seax.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
J. Nicolaysen

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Tod, the work is very nice.

This makes me think of a question for you. When you and Owen do a shared project like this, does the customer contact you or Owen first or does it matter? Seems like you have worked together on quite a few things so maybe it doesn't matter as much as some other collaborative projects.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 15 Aug, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks J.Nicoleysan

Mine and Owens relationship is very much as friends first, although we do quite a bit of business between ourselves. 10 years ago we both started as engineers on a UK TV show called Scrapheap Challenge (Junkyard War was the US spin off) and for 2 years worked Lord knows how many hours a day side by side under intense pressure and you very quickly either get to really like or really loathe someone - we went for the like option.

The opening conversation on day one went something like this.

Hi, I'm Tod
Hi I'm Owen
So when you are not doing this weirdness what do you do?
I make knives
Thats weird, so do I

That said I don't think we have ever collaborated as such; we were going to and never got round to it. Basically, I make my own monosteel blades and everything composite of any kind I farm out to him; thats not to say I know exactly what I will get back but I outline a brief and he makes a blade to suit. I guess we should really collaborate properly one day in the sense that we both have design input in a coordinated manner, develop a concept together and execute it into a piece - time is always the issue and so to date although we both may have input into a piece, it is not really what I would describe as collaboration.

I must say that, that accidental and serendipitous meeting had a massive input into my development as a knife maker - thanks Owen and for that matter finding myArmoury a couple of years later also massively influenced me - thanks Nathan.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Seax and Holbein dagger from Tods Stuff
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic