Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Irish ring pommel - blade and crossguard pairings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jared Kirk

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Irish ring pommel - blade and crossguard pairings         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows much about Irish ring hilted swords. Specifically what kind of blade types they were seen on, and what style guard(s) they were typically paired with.

Also, was this this type of pommel used only for a specific time frame, or did it see popularity throughout the middle ages?

Thanks!
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jared. There are only a handful of Irish ring pommeled swords that have survived to present day. Most of the blades on these swords are a variation of Oakeshott type XIX. Guards tend to be either straight or slightly S curved, that widen towards the ends. As for dating. All we know is that they were deffinately used in the first half of the 16th century. Whether they were used before or after that, we don't know. Hope this helps.
Éirinn go Brách
Jared Kirk

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So we can probably assume from the relative lack of surviving examples that it was not widely used, likely owing to the fact that it was a style particular to the Irish isles?

The reason I asked is that I plan to commission a sword with this hilt type sometime in the future and was thinking of pairing it with a type XV blade. Was trying to find out if this combination had any historical basis, but it seems like the answer is no. It likely won't affect my decision, but I wanted to satisfy my curiosity anyway.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared. Although the majority of swords of this type had XIX blades, it wasn't the only option. One example from the museum in Belfast, has a hand and a half example with a type XVIII blade variation. I'm not sure if a type XV would be suitable, but a type XVIII might be closer to your tastes, and still historically possible.
Éirinn go Brách
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see some pics of ring-poms. Next to claymores and greatswords, they are my favorite. I think the ring was very culturally distinct to the Irish people. Plus.....they just look badass. Laughing Out Loud ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Jared Kirk

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Jared. Although the majority of swords of this type had XIX blades, it wasn't the only option. One example from the museum in Belfast, has a hand and a half example with a type XVIII blade variation. I'm not sure if a type XV would be suitable, but a type XVIII might be closer to your tastes, and still historically possible.

Do you happen to know where I can see a photo of this specimen?
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here you go.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=196685

Éirinn go Brách
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Someone knowledgeable should compile all the great ring-hilt info on this forum and write a good "features" thing for the spotlight series on the main page. There are quite a few great threads and photos and several people who have been able to study this type quite a bit.

Ring-hilts are one of those really eye-catching and unique design that despite scarcity is somehow emblematic, really living on in today's imagination. Several good reproductions of it as well. I was able to find a nice A&A ring-hilt this year, a sword I had really liked since they released it ages ago.

I would also like to know about the sheath/scabbard styles since they are somewhat unique. And what kind of designs like those popular Gaelic knots and crosses and what have you. Whether they would be appropriate designs for period.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?
Jared Kirk

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Here you go.

http://www.myArmoury.com/viewtopic.php?p=196685

Thank you kindly. I like the look of that one. The one I want to customize with a ring hilt is an XVIII (was mistaken when I said XV earlier), so it'll be fairly similar to a historical example.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Irish ring pommel - blade and crossguard pairings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic