Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Seax in Shira Saya......? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 23 Oct, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up, Greg...........Good to hear....Guess I better get off my butt and order while I can! Thanks, bud!...McM
David Clark

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still kick myself for not buying this seax from Kult of Athena when the had it in stock.
I really hope they get more soon.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I started working on the new handle for this seax but I've only just begun and don't want to make any promises I can't keep. I will say that while I've made plenty of tool and knife handles they've been utilitarian in nature and this will be my first attempt at making something with decorative carving.

I was interested to note that the tang is also tapered and wonder if Kris Cutlery uses a tapered blank to make these blades. It isn't a big deal but the tapered tang did motivate me to cut out the mortises for the tang by hand rather than machine in order to get a nice fit. I don't imagine anybody would know the difference when it's assembled but I would.

I plan to both glue and use the dowel hole in the tang to affix the pieces together. Once I've taken care of the mechanics of fitting the blanks to the tang the fun of carving will begin, wish me luck!
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope to get one of these someday when I feel it can get through the import ban on "samurai swords", with this being a single edged blade! Though it isn't curved so it should get through...

I am hoping to kit the seax out in sword-style fittings.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 24 Oct, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William since you are from England, I recommend you pattern welded saxes from either Owen Bush or Paul Binns. They are way more expensive but I have a Paul Binns pattern welded broken back sax and it sooo worth it. A great piece.
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did a little work on the handle. Made it slightly wasted in the middle with a bit of a thumb 'stop' on top of the handle. I took the squarish part off the end and made it a curved piece. I am toying with the idea of somehow making the curved end of the handle into a snake or dragon head. Almost like the prow of a longship. My ideas way outstrip my abilities. Happy
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wasting and thumb stop are good ideas. Every time i swing mine I'm afraid my hand is going to slip up on to the blade, and that thing is sharp!I like the dragon's head idea. give the carving a practice on some spare wood first and then give it a go. Do you have plans to change the pin at all? or stain the wood?
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Greg E

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am very certain I will stain the wood. As of now, I plan on keeping the pin. Thinking of making some sort of brass guard as well.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping this topic alive, fellas. I can't wait to get mine. I will extend the tang about 3 inches, threaded, and use the guard and pommel from an India-made cheapo I already have. They are sword fittings, so this will be a 'langseax'. Am I wrong in using these fittings on this blade? I speak of a curved guard and a 5-lobe pommel...brass...threaded...but about to be drilled thru for hot-peening. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks to all.................mcm
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I wrong in using these fittings on this blade? I speak of a curved guard and a 5-lobe pommel...brass...threaded...but about to be drilled thru for hot-peening. Thoughts? Suggestions?

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=25598

" I have found that it is very often the case that if you state some absolute rule of history, there will be an example, however extremely unusual, to break it."
Gabriel Lebec

https://www.facebook.com/relicforge
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well I have one on it's way so exciting I'm thinking something not quite historic but close from what I've seen it will make a good hunting sword, but will see pics coming soon.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sounds totally cool, Lewis. Take a bunch of pics. We love stuff like that! But start a new topic, please. Big Grin ....McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WTF?! ...Was there a reply deleted or removed? Lewis? Am I losing my mind? I AM sober.....McM
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again no pictures yet but I got mine this week A warning to some mine had no hole drilled through the pins were just hit in from side to side when I drilled them out and chipped the handle away there was no through hole so if you didn't want A hole there you might not have one. To anyone still wanting these they have them at Kris cutlery still and I got my mine A little cheaper with factory blemish of the handle and sheath, also I have now seen them on amazon. Anyway I have the new handle just about inlet with a plain English walnut so the carving will pop more hopefully, mine also lacks A really sharp edge it's sharp but not hair shaving the blade has very nice pattern and the shadow like hamon line is really cool looking as well for the price this is a fine small sword indeed the best I've ever had in my collection, well gonna get back to it burn the midnight oil.
All the best.
Joseph Totty

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've noticed there hasn't been a lot of activity over here lately and was just curious to see if anyone had replaced the handle completely. I would like to with mine and was wanting to see other ideas for handles. Thanks.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I just ordered one of these from KC on Friday. I got the shipping notice from USPS later the same day, too, so unless something goes wrong it'll be here in Finland within a week and in my hands within two. Happy

I was wondering whether to wrap the grip and sheath with leather or just treat the wood with something, and thought of tar. We've been using it to weather- and waterproof everything from boats to boots, up here, for ages. You heat it, possibly thin it with something depending on what exactly you're doing, and spread it with a brush while it's hot and runny. In theory, at least, if suitably thinned it should penetrate soft wood pretty well, stain it quite dark and make it pretty much immune to the elements...

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's what I've done with mine. Scrapped the old grip and scabbard. Fittings are forged copper, and the grip is carved birch treated with linseed oil.

Attachment: 89.1 KB
6.jpg
In hand.

Attachment: 265.47 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 95.04 KB
Grip. [ Download ]

Attachment: 70.7 KB
Detail of the "guard plate". [ Download ]

Attachment: 85.63 KB
"Pommel" cap, with handmade copper nails. [ Download ]
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh MacNeil wrote:
Here's what I've done with mine. Scrapped the old grip and scabbard. Fittings are forged copper, and the grip is carved birch treated with linseed oil.

Nice job and it looks much better than before. I also like the way you show the tang at the butt end: Did you pean it a bit over the copper end cap ?

Mine is still waiting for me to get around to it and has kept being bumped by my Walking Stick projects: Yours certainly does tempt me to get around to doing something with mine ..... finally !

I have some nice exotic woods to choose from and I also bought some 1/4"X1 1/2"X48" mild steel stock to cut up for fittings that I might also do some decorative file work on.

I might still keep the old scabbard as a core but reshape it's outside that is much too rectangular and thick and probably cover it with leather, but my priority is first to do a new hilt for the Seax.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Josh MacNeil wrote:

Nice job and it looks much better than before. I also like the way you show the tang at the butt end: Did you pean it a bit over the copper end cap ?

Mine is still waiting for me to get around to it and has kept being bumped by my Walking Stick projects: Yours certainly does tempt me to get around to doing something with mine ..... finally !

I have some nice exotic woods to choose from and I also bought some 1/4"X1 1/2"X48" mild steel stock to cut up for fittings that I might also do some decorative file work on.

I might still keep the old scabbard as a core but reshape it's outside that is much too rectangular and thick and probably cover it with leather, but my priority is first to do a new hilt for the Seax.

Thanks Jean. Yes, the tang is peened. Not strictly historical, but also not implausible in period. You should definitely pull the trigger on your seax. I'm dying to see more of these. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Seax in Shira Saya......?
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: