Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Type X sword recommendations? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Well, on this one, I'm going to back Harry. I own a scabbard without a chape and the sword is just fine in it, so I'm not really clear what is meant by "a chape is still useful". Considering it's historically inaccurate, it would be less work for the manufacturer to make a chape-less scabbard. I understand that people want a scabbard that is cheap for their sword, but if they're touting how good (and historically accurate) the H/T Norman is at its price point, which people do, then we'd better take into account the whole package, and not just the sword. The same goes for the VA Norman.

The fact of the matter is that regardless of how nice the swords are, below a certain price point you CANNOT expect a good scabbard because they simply cost money. With the H/T Norman, you are paying for a very nice sword, and at that price ($200-ish), the scabbard is more or less only something to keep the sword safe. Same with Windlass, Gen 2, DSA, etc.-- they all have fairly cheap scabbards. The fact that these scabbards do occasionally work well enough is a bonus, and I don't think you can realistically argue that for the price they're sold at you should expect a historically accurate scabbard.

Chapes are used because most customers expect them and they're an easy and quick way to complete the tip of a scabbard. Historically accurate? For the Norman and the Viking, not really, but it's only fairly recently that people have started spreading the word that early medieval scabbards lacked chapes as often as not. I say it's "still useful" because you can pull it off the scabbard and put it to use on another, more period-appropriate scabbard; those U-shaped chapes are about as common as hen's teeth on the market and devilishly hard to fabricate on your own.

For Valiant Armoury's version of the Norman sword, I believe all you need to do is contact Sonny Suttles and tell him you don't want a chape. Might cost a little extra, though.
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
The fact of the matter is that regardless of how nice the swords are, below a certain price point you CANNOT expect a good scabbard because they simply cost money.

Agree 100%. This is the best reason in the world to make your own scabbard. If I can make a scabbard, then anyone can.

Jeffrey Faulk wrote:
Chapes are used because most customers expect them...

Agree whole-heartedly. This is the reason you should not use commerical reproductions for research, because often they are not historically correct. And most customers expect accessories that are not period because there aren't any definitive resources for "period" scabbards like there are for swords. So there are a lot of misconceptions.
Robert Morgan

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently bought the Tinker Norman. Oh man, I love this thing. To paraphrase Alex Vraciu, if it could cook I'd marry it. For the money, it probably can't be beat.

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Type X sword recommendations?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: