Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
David Clark

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Ian: Fantastic job! The overall shape of the armour and how it fits you is really well done. Your silhouette looks just like something from a manuscript miniature or effigy!
S. Sebok

PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was at Days of Knights and finally managed to get the maille chausses on my kit to work just fine. Personally I find maille chausses much easier to wear than greaves. The feet actually stayed in place quite well thanks to a reenactor who helped me with the right way to tie them. Now all I really need are some maille mittens and this kit will be 100% complete. I got the exact look I have been wanting for years, a menacing looking 13th century knight and quite frankly I am rather satisfied with this.
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are some great kits! Im so jealous of whoever owns the Royal Oak sugarloaf in the fourth pic! I would love to get one with just steel around the visor and without the staple on top.
S. Sebok

PostPosted: Sun 19 Oct, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That would be Joe Metz, a man I have the privilege to call my friend and he's the one in the coat of plates between Ian LaSpina and Todd Erikson. Honestly I really like that helmet and they do offer it with steel oculars which is actually cheaper http://www.royaloakarmoury.com/portfolio/sugarloaf-helm/
Raman A

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Latest and greatest version of my harness. Turn of the 14th/15th century English kit.

I love your harness. The proportions are perfect. Like David Clark said, you look like an effigy or miniature come to life.
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raman A wrote:
Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Latest and greatest version of my harness. Turn of the 14th/15th century English kit.

I love your harness. The proportions are perfect. Like David Clark said, you look like an effigy or miniature come to life.

Thank you very much. The credit belongs to the wonderful Jeff Wasson for his skill at armoring!

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Mark Griffin

Location: The Welsh Marches, in the hills above Newtown, Powys.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats a lovely harness ian, not surprising oif from Jeff Wasson. Knows his stuff and thats a lovely look. Jealous!
Currently working on projects ranging from Elizabethan pageants to a WW1 Tank, Victorian fairgrounds 1066 events and more. Oh and we joust loads!.. We run over 250 events for English Heritage each year plus many others for Historic Royal Palaces, Historic Scotland, the National Trust and more. If you live in the UK and are interested in working for us just drop us a line with a cv.
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: show us you're kits and harnesses         Reply with quote

Here is some pictures of my harness, also from the Days of Knights event from this year Big Grin I participated in the Deed of Arms and I was awarded " A first among equals" for my sportsmanship and skill shown on the field. I had a blast!

My harness is dated for the early 15th century, during the battle of Agincourt. My group and I made it ourselfs and I have some very unique things going on with it, that I haven't seen anyone reproduce, but was commonly seen during the early 15th century. I have "saloon door" back plates then come together with a series of straps, floating polynes (knees) and a scale fauld. All of which I have documented through historical art work and surviving examples.

FYI: Also that is a fake leg. I'm an above the knee amputee and I lost it at birth. The prosthetic was covered with wood grain contact paper and then finished with leather. I'm in the process of making it look more athentic Wink

Hope you guys dig it!
-Reece

Attachment: 82.58 KB
10624906_10204909350997808_5668368877673580830_n.jpg

Attachment: 42.88 KB
10712844_10204912164188136_51277464552721004_n.jpg

Attachment: 70.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 163.97 KB
[ Download ]
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The whole DOK crew looks spectacular in their finery! Cool

Ian, you know I’m very jealous of the quality of your hard kit (Jeff W.!), but what’s not so noticeable is the extreme care you’ve taken with the foundation garments. Well done. Happy

Reece, your kit is coming along very nicely! In the second photograph I see your visor hinge pin retaining chain swinging about. Do you have problems with opponents catching it? Mine seem to break frequently in rattan combat and I’m looking for a solution.

(Other than the obvious “get hit in the head less”) Wink

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Lukas Schramm

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reece, I really like your kit very much.
I have not yet seen any scale fauld like yours. Could you point me to the sources of your design?

Greetings
Lukas
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: show us you're kits and harnesses         Reply with quote

Thanks! Here is my documentation for my harness Big Grin You'll see a few examples of the scale fauld. I've documented different shapes, including squares and more rounded scales, but I liked this style the best. The image below also shows the "saloon door" back plates. Those seem to be very common for the early 15th century, for men on foot, like men at arms. The bascinet helm is based off of the one in Churburg castle, in Italy and the "grill" ocularia was a style I've only seen in the early 15th century.

This was an era were they were experimenting with all sorts of shapes and you started to see the transition of armours that were designed with the intent to fight on foot, rather then horseback. Cool

-Reece

Attachment: 59.99 KB
8056951361_5b9ddd2a71_o.jpg

Attachment: 32.91 KB
10628165_10204839284646193_139711853320850421_n.jpg
My floating poylens

Attachment: 18.11 KB
2.jpg
S17 S16 bascinet in Churberg castle

Attachment: 22.43 KB
10590597_10204762903416710_4094537776078567119_n.jpg

Attachment: 122.06 KB
my scale fauld [ Download ]
Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I absolutely adore the determination to do this without a pair of healthy legs!
Very cool kit as well.

Ians late 14th kit looks very good.

Here is a shot of my current 15th century kit, geared up. On the left.
Not the best of photographs, but hey.

There's another with more plate:

And some of my civilian kit:

- What can change the nature of a man?
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You just have to love a nice Brigandine, where did you get that if you don't mind me asking.
I mean I have one on otdet that should finally be done the week but it's always nice to see more.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must say I am very impressed with the multitude of kits posted on this latest page of "Let's show off your harness". Speaking of which, this is this is a long running thread, I have revamped my kit recently and am working on redoing it further with new arms. I wanted to show off the current progress. It's supposed to be eastern European 10th to 12th century or Mongollian. I made the lamellar myself on this one. I'm replacing the 15th century style spaulders with steel lamellar for the shoulders and upper arms, I have the lower arms mostly done. I wanted to do bazubands but I couldn't do straight splinted to the elbow cup, as my group requires solid steel elbows. So the replacement lower arms look more like splinted arms with a solid bowl shaped elbow cup. The photo below has my old arms so I will hopefully post an update in this thread when it is done. Until then enjoy.

Newbie Sword collector
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Checked the summer 2014 archives and found some decent shots of my 1470 kit variations.

Attachment: 418.49 KB
Softkit [ Download ]

Attachment: 408.72 KB
Infantry I [ Download ]

Attachment: 133.74 KB
Infantry II [ Download ]
Tom Biliter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My kit as it stands now:
Pics from Days of Knights Living History Time Line Event from a couple of months ago.

Newly made mail additions.
Unfortunately the brayette needed some more size adjustment so there are no photos of me wearing it.

Recently acquired weapons

Action Pics courtesy of Capital Living

Weapons demo for the kids, otherwise known as Medieval Gallagher Laughing Out Loud

Standing next to Ian LaSpina at the feast

Tom Biliter

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain

Historically Patterned Mail FaceBook Page
Check out my Pinterest Page
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a fan of any kit that features a brigantine and that one is a particularly lovely one. I really like the silver rivets. That is one lovely armour you got there Tom.

With the year and the season almost over (just a couple of Christmas faires to go before things quiet down until April) I've just put the current version of my kit up for display. Which may have been a bit prematurely as I'm going to need it next week if my new soft-kit items don't arrive in time.

I'm extremely pleased with how things turned out this year given that I started the season with a vague idea of "this would be cool to put together" and now got an almost complete kit - all I'm planning on missing is a helmet and bevor though there are tons of things I'm not planning on but which will still be added nonetheless.

The sword is not actually part of that particular kit but much nicer to display than the billhook which is tucked away in a corner where it doesn't tip over and accidentally chop the cat in half.
On the topic of tipping I'm not really pleased with the stand, I build that really quick&dirty a couple of years back from the side-part of an old IKEA shelf when I got my first mail hauberk and it held that one for years - it's now in a bag on the base to keep the entire structure somewhat stable - but even though the mail is significantly heavier I'm still a bit concerned.
It's not what I would call well built or sturdy in any sense of the word.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Wonderful! Such a great example of how many long hours of research, scholarship, and testing lead to a harmonious whole.

Can you post some more information about the lonswords below the Regent? Maker, source inspiration, and so on? Or, if it doesn't feel relevant for this thread, start a new one? These are types we don't get to see very much.

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Pieter B.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a nice kit you got there Marik. It looks quite stylish and although the sword is not official part of the kit it does evoke a certain movie or fantasy feel. Game designers and movie costume makers could learn a lot and design armor like this for a protagonist instead of studded leather. When I come to think of it, this would fit Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher games quite well.
Elric Rabenfels

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since there seems to be much love for brigandines on here, have another shot of me wearing mine - Along with somewhat accurate arms, and horribly out of place gauntlets. But the photograph itself is just too good not to share:

- What can change the nature of a man?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 86 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: