Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Warbows, Crossbows, & Shields Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next 
William P

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
Yes, absolutely she has a style.

Maybe it's just a Byzantine literary convention, but there's no I way can take stuff like this serious:

Quote:
Such an arrow has been known to pierce a bronze statue, and if it hits the wall of a very large town, the point of the arrow either protrudes on the inner side or it buries itself in the middle of the wall and is lost.

She also wrote that a Frank on horseback "would even make a hole in the walls of Babylon."

All depends on how thick the wall of the bronze statue is: Most bronze statues are cast hollow and piercing one might not be that difficult.

Getting buried in a wall sounds possible also depending on the wall material: Sun baked brick should be easy but I don't know if that was still being used in the Medieval era in the middle east ? Babylonian yes, Medieval ??? And even that would usually have a covering layer of baked brick.

Protruding the other side of a wall ? Again, would depend on the wall: A wooden wall even many inches thick maybe, but certainly not a 3 foot thick stone wall !

What I think we can believe is that the Byzantines were impressed by the power of heavy crossbows but the specifics are mostly hyperbole.

What interests ME isnt how impressed they were, but that this entire thing implies that the byzantines did not use them

this surprises me somewhat seeing as how the byzantines kept a LOT of late imperial conventions and technologies, the fact that the crossbow was known to the normans but not significantly known to the byzantines is big news IMO

or maybe anna just had no idea of what the army used, or perhaps after manzikert, some byzantine military techniology was lost...

whatever the reason, its still intruiging
Alexis Bataille

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

great, many thanks Big Grin
edit : i just read gurps rules , shield don't really protect you from arrows x)
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 31 Oct, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexis Bataille wrote:
great, many thanks Big Grin
edit : i just read gurps rules , shield don't really protect you from arrows x)

Shields protect in 2 main ways.
1. They add their DB to any Defense Roll giving you a better chance of not getting hit. The larger the shield, the higher the DB.
2. You need a shield in order to use a Block maneuver which is the best way to avoid missle weapons.

What the rules don't take into account is the fact that a shield makes it harder to hit the torso compared to the head or limbs, though it does make it harder to hit the shield arm. If you want more detailed interaction between weapons, armour, and shields then read Low-Tech and Martial Arts, not just the Basic rules.

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Alexis Bataille

PostPosted: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i find a nice thing for enduring trust damage : http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php
i read the rules better this time, yeah its not bad except in this rules buckler and scutum have close cover capacity :-3 (1 or 2 points difference on 3D6 roll).
but its perfect: i was assuming an arrow in the leg will stop and drop a warrior but obviously its not enough Razz. I am not afraid of that last bow shot in my game any more ^^
Gary T

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, a bit late on this one.

But I'd like to point out the huge differences between a composite recurve (I'll refer to this simply as composite from now on) and a long selfbow (Referred to as selfbow).

One huge difference is that while the Selfbow desires to get back to straight, the Composite wants to get back to past straight - to it's unstrung position. The exact effect of this varies by bow, but for conversation and simplicity we'll say the selfbow's brace position is at 20% of draw - and the composite is at 40% of draw.

If both are 100 pound draw bows with the same draw length, the composite due to this simple fact stores 117% of the energy while have the same maximum tension on the draw.

And don't let the shortness of the composite bow fool you - they are roughly comparable in draw length to selfbows that maybe almost twice as long.

Another issue is that while composite bows are more effiicient (as expected) than a selfbow due to merely physics, they also seem to be even more efficient than a selfbow with lighter arrows. Faster moving limbs? Less mass of the limb needed to be moved? I am not sure. But it seems that a composite bow has a higher "terminal velocity" if you would than a selfbow. And this is based upon tests of re constructed bows.

It does indeed seem that the arrows used by late middle ages "longbows" were generally heavier than arrows used by composite bows, though I'm not sure if this is based largely on late middle ages "flight arrows" used for competition.

Which would mean as energy imparted by the arrow is a function of mass and the square of velocity, the arrow of a composite bow will impart more energy at short range, but will lose energy faster as velocity decreases. the Longbow arrow retaining energy better.

I find it interesting that in a documents describing murders in middle ages London, a "turkish bow" is mentioned a few times as the culprit. I'd think England had knowledge of the Composite bow. So why use the long selfbow instead? My though is cost, it's cheaper, far cheaper from a labor standpoint. It also is much faster to make, proper drying of the glue for a composite can take over a year. And perhaps it is more durable in the moist English weather as well.

I'd also second the idea on how wrong tests can be using modern materials and manufacture. A modern bowstring can impart 10% more energy to an arrow than a period bowstring. I may be wrong on this but I think I recall reading that a silk string is a bit closer to modern materials in this regard than most other period materials.

But this means an arrow using a period bowstring might impart 108 Joules - and a modern bowstring raises this to 120 joules. And that is just the string, there are many other issues with a bow and arrows that can give wrong results using modern materials.
Dennis Courneyea

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary T wrote:
Sorry, a bit late on this one.
[...]
I'd think England had knowledge of the Composite bow. So why use the long selfbow instead? My though is cost, it's cheaper, far cheaper from a labor standpoint. It also is much faster to make, proper drying of the glue for a composite can take over a year. And perhaps it is more durable in the moist English weather as well.
[...]

I believe English longbows were usually made of Yew and constructed so that the sap wood and heart wood formed a natural composite.
Gary T

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe English longbows were usually made of Yew and constructed so that the sap wood and heart wood formed a natural composite.

Yew was a freguently used material for bows for centuries prior to the heyday of the "longbow". The use of sap and heartwood was also fairly common unless it was a flatbow.

And while it indeed may have some natural composite tendencies, it's a far cry from a true composite construction.

A longbow needed to be about 6" or greater in length to have a draw length of about 31-33". True Composites have about that drawlength but are no more, often less than 4' in length. And this is for bows with similar draw weights.

I actually hate the use of the word "longbow" BTW. It's not a period term, and implies this new bow of greater length totally different from bows before it, which was certainly not the case. 6'+ Bows were certainly in use in prehistory, and there are a few bowfinds of Scandanvian bows C. 9th-11th centuries that are if 6 feet in length or greater, and draw weights are estimated to be in excess of 100 pounds.

The only thing I'd give in regards to the longbow being different is that it's a bit longer (6'6" vs 6'2" or so), and the MAry Rose draw weights are estimated to be in the 150 pound range, which seems a bit heaver than earlier Scandanavian bows.

The one issue on this though - found "longbows" not of the Mary Rose seem to be a bit shorter and lighter in draw weight, though most of these are from the 15th-17th centuries, so may not be indicative. Of course, the Mary Rose bows are later than they heyday of the Longbow and may not be indicative as well. I also wonder a bit if the Mary Rose, being a Flagship of the Navy had an elite unit of longbowmen, which could mean heavier draw weights and longer bows than normal, and taller/stronger users.

One problem is that to my knowledge, we have no bowfinds in England or Northwest Europe from the period of roughly 1050-1350.

A french 13th century hunting treatise however does state that the best bow for hunting should be about 6 feet in length, so it seems the use of "longbowish" bows was known and practiced in France, at least for hunting.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary T wrote:
I actually hate the use of the word "longbow" BTW. It's not a period term, and implies this new bow of greater length totally different from bows before it, which was certainly not the case.

According to Bradbury, the term "longbow" appears in texts at the end of the Middle Ages. He reckons that it was used to distinguish regular bows from crossbows.

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary T wrote:

One problem is that to my knowledge, we have no bowfinds in England or Northwest Europe from the period of roughly 1050-1350.

Gary,

There were bow finds found in the town of Waterford, Ireland, during this time period. Here's something I quoted from Andrew Halpin in another thread:

"Bows are rarely found on excavated sites but excavations in the town of Waterford have produced one complete bow and fragments of six others. All are simple yew bows dating between the mid-12th and mid-13th centuries, and they provide one of the first opportunities to look in detail at actual bows of this crucial period.

At first glance one thing seems clear: the Waterford bows are not longbows. The only complete example is 125 cm. long and the other surviving bowstaves were probably of much the same length. The arrowheads found with the bogs are as strongly military in nature as the Dublin arrowheads, so it is impossible to argue that these bows were for hunting and that longer bows were used for war. These are military bows, and, what is more, most of them seem to be Anglo-Norman."

For more information, see here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=bow
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Gary T wrote:

Gary,

There were bow finds found in the town of Waterford, Ireland, during this time period. Here's something I quoted from Andrew Halpin in another thread:

"Bows are rarely found on excavated sites but excavations in the town of Waterford have produced one complete bow and fragments of six others. All are simple yew bows dating between the mid-12th and mid-13th centuries, and they provide one of the first opportunities to look in detail at actual bows of this crucial period.

At first glance one thing seems clear: the Waterford bows are not longbows. The only complete example is 125 cm. long and the other surviving bowstaves were probably of much the same length. The arrowheads found with the bogs are as strongly military in nature as the Dublin arrowheads, so it is impossible to argue that these bows were for hunting and that longer bows were used for war. These are military bows, and, what is more, most of them seem to be Anglo-Norman."

For more information, see here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=bow

Does anybody has any idea what poundage these "short bows" might have been? I shoot with 34-40 pounds longbows and I'm sure they would do heavy damage with nice sharp war heads on unarmoured opponents, but I'm not sure how effective would they be on a good gambeson let alone mail or something...
Gary T

PostPosted: Thu 06 Nov, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm familiar with Halpin's findings, though I thought these were from a bit earlier period, 11th -12th.

They are a bit of a red herring, but there are a few things I think we have to consider

1) Are these indeed warbows?

2) It was at an area occupied by the Normans, but the bows could have been Welsh or Irish. The archers that were part of the occupying Norman forces were mostly welsh Mercenaries. It's really difficult to say, but I actually lean towards Irish. The Irish used a bow in later centuries that was described as very short.

The Normans of course came from Danish Stock, and the Scandanavian archery tradition was 6'+ bows based on bowfinds. For them to have gone from these longer bows to a 3-4' bow seems rather strange to me, there would seem to be no gain by doing so. That's why I would think these bows were Irish or even hunting bows.

EDIT - I might add that the Irish seemed to be constantly at war with one another and invaders, so they could be allied with Normans depending upon the situation, so it would not be unusual for there to be Irish warriors intermixed with norman ones. And also important is that while Waterford was occupied by the Normans at this time, it was still an irish town and recently occupied.
Gary T

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought I 'd correct something. It is not Halpin's judgement of his findings that I disagree with - it's actually a paper by Clifford Rogers.

This paper points to things such as the Bayeaux tapestry not showing bows of longbow length. I think it's too abstract to be of use.. It also points to Halpin's findings, and all this is determined to be "proof" that the longbow did not exist in Northwestern Europe until the 14th century.

As I have read more of Halpin, I would tend to agree with his assertion that shorter as well as longer bows existed side by side, and that they are indeed the same other than length. Perhaps the bow most prevalent in military matters was the longer bow, but that dies not preclude shorter bows from being in use. This also seems to fall in line with some late middle ages bowfinds not of the Mary Rose, where the both the bows length and estimated drawlength falls below what we expect of "longbows".

Perhaps the Mary Rose's bows seemingly rather uniform length are due to it being from a specific Military unit, were uniformity was more the case.

The one issue I have though with a shorter bow is drawlength. It seems bows were made with drawlengths not based upon the length of the bow but upon the drawlength required for a full draw, which is why composite bows of less than 36" of length have a similar drawlength to longbows twice as long. It would just seem very difficult to me to make a selfbow that has both a 100+ pound draw AND a 30" or greater drawlength. It just seems wood alone is not elastic enough to do both.

Secondly, I think is is interesting that the bows found at Waterford were rather short, and that the Irish archers of the 15th century looked as if they used shorter bows. I'd point to the Albrecht Durer illustration of Gallowglass, and his illustrations were not abstract in the least. I wonder if these bows stem from the Irish tradition of archery as opposed to the Norman or Welsh traditions.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Medieval illustations can't be used as evidence for determining bow length. One problem is that these artists had no concept of perspective or 3-dimensional depiction. Not all bows were shot at the vertical. If you see an illustration of the profile of a bow that is wielded at an angle, it appears shorter than it really is.
Gary T

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan, here is something that describes Irish archery in later centuries from a contemporary vantage point:

Quote:
Also their short Bows, and little Quivers, with short bearded Arrows, are very Scythian, as you may read in the same Olaus. And the same sort both of Bows, Quivers, and Arrows, are at this day to be seen commonly amongst the Northern Irish-Scots, whose Scottish Bows are ' not past three quarters of a Yard long, with a String of wreathed Hemp slackly bent, and whose Arrows are not much above half an Ell long, tipped with steel Heads, made like common broad Arrow Heads, but much more sharp and slender ; that they enter into a Man or Horse most cruelly notwithstanding that they are shot forth weakly".

A View of the State of Ireland as it was in the Reign of Queen Elizabeth: by Edmund Spenser

Apparently the Scottish and Irish had a similar archery tradition

Here is the Durer sketch Dan - It's not very abstract whatsoever, matches the descriptions of Irish Bows per Spenser, and I don't think there is any question that it is meant to represent a bow very much under 6' in length.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag197/dru...r-1521.jpg
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We know that the Irish and Irish-Scots used short bows. But not because of medieval illustrations; we have texts and artefacts to tell us that. I was simply saying that we can't rely on iconographical evidence. If someone wants to claim that the English used short bows in battle then they need a lot more than a painting.
Gary T

PostPosted: Fri 14 Nov, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone wants to claim that the English used short bows in battle then they need a lot more than a painting.

I'd agree on this. Another piece of "evidence" was a Spanish carving showing a man using a bow that was indeed "short". However, it was also a recurve, so I would think this falls more into the Muslim archery tradition.

What are your thoughts on Halpin's findings at Waterford, Dan? Norman Bows, Welsh or Irish? Possibly hunting bows or a child's bow?
Philip Dyer

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is it just me or than people are narrowing down on length to much in this bow debate discussion? A bow stave can still be long have low draw wieght if the bow is thinner. Same thing, a bow shortness can be short a depectively powerful if the stave is very thick and stiff. Length doesn't necessarily equal to power.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary T wrote:
What are your thoughts on Halpin's findings at Waterford, Dan? Norman Bows, Welsh or Irish? Possibly hunting bows or a child's bow?

It could be any of the above but Norman warbow would be the least probable option IMO.

Gary T

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Same thing, a bow shortness can be short a depectively powerful if the stave is very thick and stiff. Length doesn't necessarily equal to power.

Length does have a huge effect on power Philip, or at least drawlength does.

My issue with a short non composite construction bow - I don't think wood is "springy" enough to get both a long draw AND a heavy draw weight.

For example, I would think it very difficult to make a wooden self bow 36" in length, with a 32" draw and a 120 pound draw weight. I could be wrong, but my guess is this is why composite bows have long drawlengths for their length, and self bows do not from what I have seen.

And if you have a 36" self bow with a 20" draw but with that 120 pound draw, it imparts only 62.5% of the energy to the arrow that the longer draw bow provides. Some other things factor in as well such as bracelength, but even though the calculation is a bit of an oversimplification of the energy imparted, in the big scheme of things it is pretty accurate.

I'm also not sure of the exact mechanics on this, but a shorter bow with a similar drawlength will "stack" faster than a longer bow, further reducing the efficiency.

Quote:
It could be any of the above but Norman warbow would be the least probable option IMO.

My thoughts on that are pretty much the same. While I lean towards Irish because of the later history of Irish "short" bows, we really don't know the size of Welsh bows either to my knowledge, and they are a celtic people like the Irish.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary T wrote:
My issue with a short non composite construction bow - I don't think wood is "springy" enough to get both a long draw AND a heavy draw weight.

For example, I would think it very difficult to make a wooden self bow 36" in length, with a 32" draw and a 120 pound draw weight. I could be wrong, but my guess is this is why composite bows have long drawlengths for their length, and self bows do not from what I have seen.

In principle, you can do this by using wide thin limbs (i.e., a flatbow). Thin limbs can be bent more without straining the wood as much, and draw weight can be increased by increasing the width. Alas, the draw weight will only increase in linear proportional to the width of the limb (as opposed to increasing proportional to the cube of the thickness of the limb), so you end up with very wide, and therefore heavy, limbs, and an inefficient bow.

Historically, we see flatbows used to allow inferior woods to be used for bows. "Inferior woods" meaning woods that can't be strained as much as good bow woods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbow

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Warbows, Crossbows, & Shields
Page 8 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: