Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From a trade with William Swiger, a Del Tin 2130 with a shortened blade and Iron Age Armoury custom viking hilt and an Arma Bohemia brazil nut type XII:

J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good trade Luka. By the way, Arma Bohemia now carries a 'basic' line of affordable swords that includes a Brazil nut model.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Good trade Luka. By the way, Arma Bohemia now carries a 'basic' line of affordable swords that includes a Brazil nut model.

Yes, I'm really happy with these swords. I've seen Arma's basic singlehander with brazil nut and it looks good, the pommel is very nicely shaped, but I think it's made to be blunt. And its blade is narrower than I would like on a relatively short sword such as it. In my perfect world, narrow sword blades are always long, and shorter ones are wide. Wink
Btw, this Arma sword I got has a big M in the blade near the hilt, I'll have to make a little research to see who of the Arma Bohemia's "allied" smiths uses this mark...
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like that Del Tin Luka. If memory serves me that one has a really small grip, like 3.5" or so. How do you find the grip?
The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
I like that Del Tin Luka. If memory serves me that one has a really small grip, like 3.5" or so. How do you find the grip?

Yep, even less than 3.5", more like 3.3". I find it just about perfect, but I have very small hands (see picture below) so I'm not the best person to ask about grip length. Big Grin

Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last purchase was a Hanwei Rhinelander. I know it's a cheapo, but I LOVE this sword. It's a cutting beast right out of the box. The peen on the pommel looks like it was done by a drunk monkey, but the sword is tight, sharp, and fast as hell. If any of you all are looking for a near perfect 'beater', I suggest you pick one up. Big Grin ............McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Li Fu Xiang

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: (another) A&A Swiss saber         Reply with quote

Around December 2012 I contacted A&A and asking about the possibility of creating another custom A489 swiss saber. After discussion with Craig, we started the project and this is the result.

I would like to point out that my experience with A&A has been extremely positive. There were a lot of problem with international shipping for this sword (it actually shipped out to Singapore using international courier but got clerance issue (which shouldn't happen - but it did) so courier returned it back to USA on my expense!. After that, domestic ground service managed to damaged the sword on its way to Minessota; Craig fixed the damage *free of charge*!

Now, that's a very outstanding after sales support. I understand A&A doesn't have to do it for free (since it's not their fault), but they did! Also he has been very patient and responsive during that period, which I really appreciate.

I haven't had time to take pictures of the sword myself; The following images are taken by Craig.

I ordered basic wood core scabbard along the sword; it's probably not historically accurate, but for the money I spent on it, I believe it's very good quality.

Attachment: 161.06 KB
14156286640_c18f464cd6_z.jpg

Attachment: 135.78 KB
14319760136_b0ecbf695f_o.jpg

Attachment: 100.82 KB
14341267032_9864c27a15_z.jpg
chape

Attachment: 139.96 KB
14341267062_d527e48e91_z.jpg

Attachment: 156 KB
14342889655_a2acd7a4e2_o.jpg

Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: A&A Kriegsmesser         Reply with quote

I haven't received this one in hand yet, but Craig sent me some pics and I think A&A did an excellent job. So if you like what you are seeing then go send them some work (my shameless plug for the day) because they won't disappoint.

Attachment: 111.59 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 97.4 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 95.86 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 87.41 KB
[ Download ]
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Recently someone asked me if I wanted a couple of old swords that they had in their attic. They didn't know anything about them, except that a family member had collected them in Europe during WWII.

Both turned out to be Nazi ceremonial sabers. I don't normally collect historical swords, but these just fell into my possession.

Left:Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co officer's dove head saber
Right: Alcoso police saber

Attachment: 85.81 KB
both.jpg

Maddalena Gemma

PostPosted: Sun 23 Nov, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just yesterday I bought a side sword from Fabri Armorum (with flexible blade for fencing) Cool

Attachment: 80.62 KB
sidesword.jpg

Matthijs van Halteren

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My new weapon, Petersen type H langsax after the North Arhus find.
Made by Wojciech Szanek from http://www.miecz-sword.com/.
Weapon is blunt for re-enactment fighting

Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now I can add something.

Behold!

Attachment: 89.34 KB
[ Download ]
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My most recent sword is a Bavarian Infantry NCO/Officer's Sword. 1790's. Very tight and sturdy. Has some numbers at the forte in white ink from the museum collection it was once a part of. Also very old nicks on the blade. Could have seen some action back in the day....

Attachment: 153.94 KB
bavarian hanger 1.jpg

Attachment: 70.16 KB
bavarian hanger 2.jpg

Attachment: 48.98 KB
bavarian hanger 3.jpg

Attachment: 98.63 KB
bavarian nco 3.jpg

inkothemgard!
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimi Edmonds wrote:
Now I can add something.

Behold!

Awesome Sempach Jimi. I love mine and at the funny thing is it was at one point in time one of my least favorite looking Albions. That has all changed completely....I really great and super interesting sword.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan Heff wrote:
Jimi Edmonds wrote:
Now I can add something.

Behold!

Awesome Sempach Jimi. I love mine and at the funny thing is it was at one point in time one of my least favorite looking Albions. That has all changed completely....I really great and super interesting sword.

It's smaller than I had envisaged, light enough to be used in one hand if need be! it was a toss up between that, the Fiore and the Earl, which if funds allow in future years...I'm happy with it, tis a nice sword.

Although the pommel has a very slight twist, which puts it out of line with the cross, and a couple of other minor blemishes, but with that I can live with it and it doesn't affect the sword in anyway, and besides were swords perfect?

As for the grip, initially I'd wanted to have it Ox blood coloured, but was worried as word was that Albion's Ox blood went quite dark so I went with red, which on the other hand was worried it may be too bright! And low and behold the grip colour came out pretty much the Ox colour I had imagined.

So yes I'm pleased.
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword was a custom shell-and-ring hilted sidesword from Darkwood Armory for sparring and drills. I mainly wanted a protective basket because of a natural weakness to my connective tissue - blows taken to the thumb would abruptly dislocate the joint for a split second, leading to excessive stress over the months.

It was great fun to use, longer than most of my partners' arming swords, agile enough (~1400g, PoB ca. 7cm from the quillons), the blade was resistant enough to nicking, especially since its edges were very thin. It was also flexible enough to thrust safely even with little gear.

I use the past tense because the tang broke on thursday, after only three months of use with at most ten outings. It appears that there was a defect in the stock material that further weakened the threaded part of the tang.
It broke about two millimeters into the threads, about four millimeters away from the base of the pommel.

Pics and stats (as well as some German commentary) are in this facebook gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.527074830761138.1073741827.100003758763496&type=1&l=6c8e04305e

I intend to create a proper review soon. Waiting for the maker's opinion on the case.
Rich Knack

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually got two swords at the same time, both made by forum member Scott Woodruff. First is a Grosses Messer I commissioned from him:

Second is a nice little semi-spatha he gave me for having so much patience with him! (the Messer was two years in both the planning and the making, due to Scott's "real life" schedule, but well worth it! Happy )

"Those who 'beat their swords into plows', will plow for those who don't."
Marcus Newton

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword is the Albion Talhoffer. Of which I am very pleased with.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rich, I love to see matching sets. It appears to be worth the wait! Happy
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Harry Marinakis

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As the result of such good reviews on this forum, I am now the proud owner of an Albion Huskarl. Albion said it would take 3 months, in actuality I had it in about one.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 61 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: