Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

And I forgot..Sword is VERY lively,Craig.
Absolutely stunning :eek:

Looking forward to watching this one progress.
Next step after a longer time-blade inlays.

Attachment: 103.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 105.3 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 151.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 127.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 67.46 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 65.96 KB
[ Download ]
this is really impressive work Robert... most important for me is that you are doing everything in old medieval way and style - historical accuracy and handmade look of your pieces - very few men today has that kind of sense, knowledge and level of craftsmanship...
I hope you dont mind if I will ask you for some advice in private message...
Fantastic work Robert! The inlay looks wonderful. I am excited to see the finished sword...
So,sword is finished.
Overall length-114cm
Blade length-88cm
Weight-1880g
Balance point-4,5cm

[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 53.11 KB
kalna.JPG

Attachment: 102.72 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 96.51 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.31 KB
[ Download ]
Robert, congratulations on the finished XVIa... It turned out beautifully! No doubt the museum will be very appreciative of its quality.

-Gregory
What a stunning sword, beautiful.
Okay... I want that Type XVIa. It's fantastic.
I had the privilege to see and hold this sword at the sword makers fair in Solingen the other weekend. It is an incredible piece in any aspect you look at it.
Museum Swords
Viewing a relic, excavated, sword is somewhat like viewing old bones, it takes prodigious imagination to visualize how they appeared in their day. This exquisite work brings "to life" that which cannot be otherwise imagined by most museum goers. By seing how a sword looked when its original owner held it in his hand, I submit brings a powerful added dimension- otherwise lacking.
Henry
Thank you.Next summer museum plan exhibition about medieval swords,so there will some originals together with my recreations.Four,maybe five.Next sword is in process...
Wonderful Robert... the inlays are gorgeous. Another inspiring work from you...
Hi Robert
Congratulations that sword is an real work of art one of the nicest that I have had the pleasure to look at
well done love the inlay and colour of the grip
Robert - after a few talks between us - and looking on your great works - I can tell that you have very unique and rare talent - animating old pieces, bringing them to real life. there is very few people with such gift, with such good sense of style and knowledge.
very inspiring work in every detail. thank you for sharing - always nice to see your works.

also -I have a few questions:
about the decorations on the "rainguard" and scabbard - are they inspired by some original sources - or is it something like your invention or interpretation? ... more or less :)
they are beautiful and masterfully crafted - I`m just curious about that :)

I`m also curious why you have decided to make the fuller darker ?

also - is that close balance (4,5cm) consistent to the original? I suppose yes - or similar - but I want to ask you did you checked the original balance of the sword?
Thank to all again.
As I mentioned above,balance of original is 2,5cm from guard.And you other questions,Maciej-there was my intention try to show aesthetical possiblities of medieval sword,rather than create living history stuff.
I can see now about the balance :)
of course your design and idea is very interesting and beautiful from artistic - and also historical point of view - and I completely understand your approach at this case.
once again - this is very good work Robert. I wish to handle this sword and talk about it some more :)
Here are swords displayed in museum .Originals with replicas.And some photos of type XVIa sword with original.

Attachment: 218.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 132.21 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 77.59 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 87.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 107.14 KB
[ Download ]
Next sword for this project is Petersen type Y sword with broken blade from probably conquest period Hungarian grave from Marcelová.Sword is in collection of Danubian museum Komárno inventory number III-23.
Total length of fragment-590mm
Length of broken blade-472mm
Weight-800g
Blade has complicated construction.core is soft iron with one-sided pattern-welded overlay,Edges are from two rods-iron at the core,and steel in edge itself.on non-patterned side of core is P-W spiral figure.

Attachment: 50.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 74.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 59.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 174.15 KB
[ Download ]
Sword is in fact finished,so here are some pictures of progress.

Attachment: 32.46 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 154.76 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 102.01 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 197.03 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 121.62 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 125.11 KB
[ Download ]