Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Searching for 3 sponsors Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Searching for 3 sponsors         Reply with quote

Greetings all and a happy holiday season!

I have not been around lately and there hasn't been much new work to share. Over the past year I have been searching for a new direction in life and trying to make progress in the areas that have been lacking. Through many twists and turns I ended up working a real "job" and going to school for massage therapy. Things have been very hectic with not much time for sleep let alone anything else. I was able to bundle my time off from work and take two weeks off, and have a two week break from school as well, so I decided to come up to the shop and play a bit. I have to say, making swords is what I was made to do!

It occurred to me that maybe there is a way to rearrange my life to be able to get back to being in the shop while I finish school and start my own practice. I graduate in March and am looking for three sponsors to work with over the next three months, which would let me match my pay, leave my job, and get me back in the shop. The investment is $1000 per month, and over the three month period I can work with you either on some kind of commission, testing some ideas or techniques out, making a home bladesmith setup, advice on how to go about something, anything you can think of. It is very important to me that you your investment is met with an equal return. Interested individuals should get in touch through a personal message and we can enter into discussion about something you would like see done.

This last week I made a seax from refined wrought iron and will be carburizing and heat treating this week. Also welded up and forged to shape a bloom steel sword, viking, chevron. Progress was made on the hilt of the summer sword. Also continued experiments with pattern welded inlay, carburized wrought letters into bloom steel. I would love to keep working in this direction and open to other suggestions as well.

Thank you very much!

www.warriorspathpatternweld.com
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Searching for 3 sponsors         Reply with quote

3 sponsors? Where to find them?
“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd suggest looking into crowd funding such as kickstarter. 9 grand is actually a pretty low amount to ask for regarding these things. Offer trinkets to open ended commissions as prizes for high level donations ($50, $100, $500, $1000, etc.) and you may well be surprised by how much money you receive. Finding 3 well off individuals to patron you for 3 grand each is a bit of a tall order, but making a few dozen knives and/or several daggers/swords as test beds for artistic exploration could be quite lucrative.
Theo Squires

PostPosted: Fri 06 Mar, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also look into Patreon, which allows for a variety of funding options and conditions. I'm not sure whether it would be better for you than Kickstarter but one difference is that you don't have a time limit on securing the funding.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Searching for 3 sponsors
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic